Guest viewing is limited

THR BeBe finally!!!

Me too...what Layla said:roseshwr:
 
Oh where, oh where has our BeBe gone?
Oh where, oh where can see be?
I sure hope you're doing okay.
Going to send out the search and rescue soon.
Hugs
@BeBe
 
Hi all!! @Layla @Mojo333
I've been away for so long it's like I have forgotten how to post!!
Plus STILL dealing with this lame iPad...

All is pretty well here in BeBe land. It has been extremely busy since the week after my surgery
Despite having surgery. Just no time for recuperation.
As soon as I could be up and around with the cane, I was.
Driving as soon as off narcs, going and doing. Etc. --then I had a little A-I flare
I think telling me to slow it down. :swoon:

Having DD move home was a godsend and a detriment at the same time. She brought three pets too!
Lots of chaos so I felt I had to step up to direct traffic earlier than I would have liked.

One of the biggest differences I have noticed with this second surgery, in a relatively short period of time,
is that EVERYONE is just tired of it. Including me!
This has been a very real mental phenomenon that I had not considered prior to my second surgery
I believe it bears discussion here on the forum.

DH is/was less helpful, less attentive. Not at all in a mean way, just in the "been there done that" way.
A bit less supportive. Maybe in response to my pushing myself and being independent?
My adult children not as aware of my need for help.
Well DD was not here for first go around...which was more difficult altogether.
And also friends not dropping off casseroles this time around...although again to be fair
I put the word out it was not necessary this time around.

As soon as I moved to the cane full time, around the first week, it was like everyone breathed a
sigh of relief that I was "recovered" and washed their hands of me. Maybe that's not fair but it has been clear.

I am not as catered to this go around and my attitude has been fine with it actually.
Realistically I am quite independent and my family was ready for me to be my normal again.
And I am ready too - mentally maybe not physically. Maybe?
DH does remind me to not overdo it, and I have ODI a few times actually.
So have to police myself as far as physically overextending myself.

What I was not quite prepared for was my OS telling me I was good to go at my 4 week
(first after surgery) appointment.
Normally they do a wound appointment at 3 weeks and then an xray at 6 weeks appt -
then I thought a 4 month follow up and x ray.

This hip the appt was just scheduled a bit late at four weeks.
OS said we will just combine the appointments and did the xray. Which he said looked fine but showed no bone growth yet.
And then he said we will see you in a year!! Admonished me to not do anything where I might fall. No horses.
Said PT was up to me once I stopped using the cane. I'm welcome to call if I have any ongoing or new issues. He was aware I have a continuous " asleep" left leg since the LTHR. Its better but still there if I sit on an office/desk/dining chair whether padded or not.
He believes its my spine. Referred me to spine doc. Yet another...

So there you have it. I will be 6 weeks on Friday.
I am past my "expire date" and I AM doing well but am still using my cane
(limp and pain without it both hips actually) Family just wants me better NOW!

Again thankful for the forum for support
:thankyou:Tried to go alone here but still feeling the need for the nest :umm:
 
Aww, BeBe, I feel bad reading this. Sadly, unless you've been through this surgery yourself, you don't understand the energy drain, the pain, the blue moods that can wash over you at any given time. I think in our effort to feel independent again and not wanting to be a burden on anyone, we push ourselves without complaining and then sort of suffer in silence. As wives and mothers we give a lot of ourselves to our family, sometimes you wonder if they feel we're invincible, lol.

I'm sure they watched you power through your first recovery (which you're still in, by the way :wink:) and think you've got this. Maybe at times you need to remind them you underwent two major surgeries in very short order and you're just plain tired. I'm sure they are there for you, but if they feel you're doing just fine, they're going to treat you that way. I just want to see you get the rest and attention you need / deserve. At only 4+ months out from your first THR and 1+ month from your latest surgery, you have a lot of recovery left to move through. Please take the time that your mind and body needs. Stop by more often too. I really miss you!! It's a great excuse for you to sit back and put your feet up. Tell the fam you're taking a "time out" to check on your peeps. :yes:
Sending lots of love and a big hug!
@BeBe
 
Thanks @Layla
You are so very understanding! Love you for that!
The first surgery was so very uphill as far as the recovery and in retrospect
maybe we are all (me too) just so very relieved the second surgery has been easier?
I know I'm guilty of pushing it this time around too and do need to just pace myself better.
I am counting my blessings this time has been easier. Not over, just not as crazy difficult as the first.
Family is probably just following my lead and allowing me my independence.

Thanks for listening!
 
Strong independent women get the short stick often...and we all know mommys can do anything.
Please do police yourself and don't get hard headed and not remind dear family that you DO still need their help and support!
I have always been proud that I am able to power through tough situations.
I always thought overly prissy, vulnerable type women came off as not too smart.
I've decided they really are very smart.
If I get reincarnated, I will be the neediest, girlyest girly girl as they always get their groceries carried in and can't do things for themselves lest they break a nail.
A trophy wife! That's it...I'm going to be one of those...smarter than they look.:curtsey:

Honestly, they all may be tired of the recovery thing, but please let them know it is your last hip...but needs time have time to heal.
Hope you stay away from NSAIDS as you get bone growing...and drink your milk and eat your yogurt!
 
@Mojo333 just curious why stay away from NSAIDS? I so agree with you with being able to power through tough times I had my sure. I think this surgery turned me into a trophy wife:heehee:
 
Josephine told me early on in my recovery Tylenol was a better choice.
I am constantly reading confirmations through research that NSAIDS are not a good choice for recovering hip patients.

FYI - an excerpt:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0300060517732697
Postoperative drugs
Painkillers are frequently used by patients with hip osteoarthritis. In our experience, most of these drugs are represented by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). NSAIDs are the least safe of painkillers in terms of osseointegration. NSAIDs impair the osseointegration process of titanium implants by inhibiting cyclooxygenase-2. This results in decreased levels of prostaglandins, which are important in promoting inflammation and supply of bone-formation cells. Therefore, we suggest choosing acetaminophen (paracetamol) for mild to moderate pain and opioids for severe pain in patients following total hip replacement.
 
@mojo thanks I will be reading the above. I take 800 motrin guess I should cut it out.
 
@Mojo333

You've nailed it! Trophy wife!
And yes my OS confirmed no nsaids if I can do without.
Very difficult for me with my other AI issues, and he did let me take Aleve low dose after first hip
now says no because of bone growth around implant.
 
Forever learning things here on BS. Thanks for the NSAID vs bone growth info @Mojo333 - as I just started Advil for bad hip and will stop now. Did not know!

And thank you @BeBe for the (sad) story of the second round as I'm heading there very soon for #2 and this helps to set expectations a bit lower... Makes perfect sense too. It is a trauma situation, THR, not only physically, but on every level, that it's no wonder no one is eager to jump back in the middle of it again. Patients or caregivers. I'm sorry you had to discover that first hand and can imagine it had to hurt - maybe not as much as the OA but hurt all the same. And thanks again for alerting the rest of us as to what second pass can look like. I think I will rely more on takeout meals this next time, even though hubby is an excellent cook. Just to relieve pressure.

Continued healing to you on number 2, you are same time between the two I'll likely be, 3 mos. take care!!
 
@1stSurgery
Just getting around to posting on BS again !
I'm doing fine and have allowed myself some slack over the past
few days. Allowing others to do for me and that is probably key!
I have never been too good at that...
DH and I are taking a mini vacay this coming long weekend. It's my BD!
I have slowed myself down physically over the past week too and that
was a bit help.
All in all I am really happy I didn't put off the 2nd surgery but have to realize things
should be a little slower with two THR in a few months time.
Have you scheduled your second surgery?
I will have to read your whole thread. It is so crazy difficult to heal the new hip
when the other one starts going south. Not much you can do if you can't walk!
 
Glad to hear you're happy, all in all, BeBe.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday early in case you're not around again before your special day.
I hope you and hubs have a great time on your mini vacay.
Get yourself some more rest before you go and let others keep doing for you.
You've been through so much these past 4 months. You deserve a relaxing break.
Sending hugs and love!
@BeBe
 
Yes happy BDay in advance @BeBe and enjoy your mini trip! And yes I scheduled Bad Hips Reformation date today in fact. Sept 20 it is. Countdown begins. And I will have exactly 4 weeks to be good as new for some work that was committed to long ago. I wanted late August early September but... Mr BeniHana of hip surgery is all booked to mid October. I just took the first cancellation they had. Looks like I'll be bonesmarting (new verb) around for several more months!
 
Hey @BeBe.....great to hear from you and that you are reclaiming your life. I've been wondering if the second hip will have lost its novelty value and become a bit run-of-the-mill, so your experience chimes in with that. There seems to be a finite period of concern, I've found.....about 6 weeks and as soon as you're driving and able to do most of the housework everyone assumes you've done your dash and 'welcome to the real world' :shrug: Making a mental note here not to assume someone is now 'normal' simply because they no longer appear to be in pain or difficulty. I think family don't like to think that the person who normally supports and organises them needs support from them....makes them feel vulnerable. So happy to have this forum, where no-one judges you for losing it a bit, or expects you to have recovered faster than you have.....what would we have done without it? Keep on taking it slowly but surely BeBe and take care :wave:
 
Happy early birthday, @BeBe! Finally getting out of my own "stuff" and catching up on other Hippies' progress; so glad to hear you had an easier time of things this time 'round!

have to realize things
should be a little slower with two THR in a few months time.
THIS. For some reason, I just knew I'd be gallivanting around in no time; instead, I'm still on my cane and achy (and grumpy... sometimes). One of the guys in my office just told me that he expects to see me walking quickly when I leave work today - I maintained my humor, but kin'a wanted to throttle him (then again, today is his first day back from vacation, so he hasn't seen the fatigue slam me as I get closer to the end of the workday - yet). I think many of us think that, after the second hip is done, we'll be able to go great guns blazing, without considering the fact that, as Layla has said (to both of us :heehee:), we've had two major surgeries in a very short time (my sis pointed out to me that, in addition to that, I'd been in pain and hobbling for quite some time before the first surgery, and my muscles/tendons/blahblahblah would need time to recover from that, as well. JOY!:swoon:).

All that to say, continue to be patient and gentle with yourself; I myself imagine myself "shakin' my shimmy" at Thanksgiving with my family, and remind myself that I won't be able to do that if I don't take it easy on myself now. :bath:

f I get reincarnated, I will be the neediest, girlyest girly girl as they always get their groceries carried in and can't do things for themselves lest they break a nail.
A trophy wife! That's it...I'm going to be one of those...smarter than they look.:curtsey:
@Mojo333, I'm with you! Next time around, I'm going to totally pull the helpless card! :snork:

Again, wishing you a wonderful birthday, Bebe; have a great rest of your day!
 
@Layla , @anny , @1stSurgery , @ladylorn ,

Just a quick howdy and thank you for all the Birthday wishes!
How in the world did I get to be 61 and have two THR!?!

We are back home a day early. Fine by me!
After I posted last Monday I'm not sure I sat down much during the day
until we started to drive south Wednesday evening.
Lots to do before we go somewhere for four days, mostly involving animal husbandry...
this activated my apparently dormant but not gone/resolved
IT Band/Bursitis issues.
Oh yeah - back with a vengeance! On my right, first, hip. 4+ months out and here we are again.
I won't lie it's pretty bad. So now hip #1 is back to pain with the muscles plus low back.
Hip #2 is trying to be valiant and soldier on.
Oh and I managed to sprain my right ankle, which may have aggravated the IT band stuff.

This little getaway involved lots of walking on Friday especially, which would have been fine if I could have kept a gel-ice handy, for when I did get a sit down.
Well didn't happen, hotel rooms have fridges, but no freezers...
hotel ice in a freezer bag is second best for night but not portable during the day.
I did use the breakable first aid packs but they are cold for 10 min outside.

I tried to do my best and enjoy this little break as I really needed the mental getaway as well.
And I did enjoy it up to the point that I wished for some narcotics.

Just couldn't do it physically. Wanted two canes...and:ice: and did have:martini:!
Husband was completely understanding as he spent a couple days with me 24/7 and could see
all was not right with my world. He feels I have been overdoing it so far and allowed me to
prove that to myself. He thinks I'm stubborn at times. He is right.

We are home and I am posting from my :bath:
Will catch up with you all tomorrow from my recliner.
 
Aww @BeBe, so sorry the fun outing turned to some revisiting old pains! But now that you're home you can do the freezer ice packs and the whole routine. I'm following your progress as I will have number 2, like you, 3 mos out from number 1. And have some very challenging work activity scheduled third week of October, just 4 weeks from surgery #2. I encourage you to check out @An54 s page and consider joining the Overly Cautious Club (OCC) of careful post op hippies! The Rest protocol. We are the rival gang to the ODIC... :heehee:

Hope you're pain subsides as quickly as it came on.
 
@BeBe - check out Koo Care on Amazon. I got an ice bag you fill with ice that has a contraption you can use to strap it on. My desk chair at the office doesn't have solid sides so I needed it to be able to ice when I was at work. I could get up and walk down the hall and still keep it on.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom