Guest viewing is limited

THR My hip hip hooray journey<

BUT the IT-related pain seems to be heightening...at least yesterday and today.
There are some good IT band stretches in library.
But let's let Nurse Josephine check in since we have two inquiries.
I'll tag her...it may be a bit.
@Josephine, what do you think?
 
Thanks, @Mojo333! I will check out the library and look forward to hearing from nurse Josephine. Ice has been helping in the meantime!
 
Ice helps everything...
I didn't like ice one bit until thr
:shrug:
 
@Mojo333 . Just took a look at the exercises I. library. Most are a no go for hip replacement that I had —lateral total RH. Told to avoid crossing legs. Just got a pressure band for just above my knee and I am doing heat now, as well as ice. Also some massage (ouch!)
 
Yesterday and today have been bad days...increasing pain around my right knee and side of my glute which, according to the PT, is where my IT band attaches. The pain is from working to get my duck-walking right foot to start pointing forward again, after a few years of rotating toes outward to reduce hip pain. Should I stop trying and let me toes point out?
:shocked:Maybe do need to give it a bit of a rest. Don't do anything you have been told not to do...
Let's wait on Josephine!
Maybe it's too early to be trying to reverse all that bad gait.
Sorry you are hurting!:console2:
 
@editted it does seem the anterior lateral approach we had does make it interesting when it comes to PT. It's like we are a hybrid of anterior and posterior. Biggest sadness for me is can't even do 'golfers reach'. It was entertaining when I had to feed our dogs this morning. Hubby was gone and forgot to feed them.

I also know I've probably broken 90 degree restrictions unintentionally, but try not to!
 
Hi @editted
You're coming up on One Month already. Unbelievable. Summer is sailing right on by!

I had slight external rotation if that's what your describing as "duck walk"
Pre-surgery, when I stood still naturally, the foot on my bad leg was slightly turned outward, toward the side, while the other pointed straight ahead. I noticed it in my gait also, catching my reflection in an exterior store window as I was walking up to the door. Actually, that's how I first became aware of it. Surgery mainly corrected it, maybe had it slightly afterward but all appears normal now. So I wouldn't be concerned and I'd give it more time unless it's really pronounced.

Hope you have a great day!
 
I think this may be what the others are referring to ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments

But it rather depends where your pain is. Can you tell me using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] My hip hip hooray journey<
 
@Josephine, the pain is in R1B-W, R1B-X and even lower, down the outside of the right leg where the IT band attaches below the knee and just above the knee, as well. I will check out the link you shared. Woke up today and it was good; walked around and stood for about 30 minutes, and it began to bother me again.

@Layla, yes, one month tomorrow. The rotation was pretty substantial. It seems to be improving slowly, but, perhaps, I was trying too hard and irritated the IT band in an abundance of energy to get the duck walk ended....we shall see. Will read Josephine's reference and await her further observations.

Many thanks to you both. I really AM doing better. Just had a bit of a pity party the other day!!
 
the pain is in R1B-W, R1B-X and even lower, down the outside of the right leg where the IT band attaches below the knee and just above the knee, as well.
Yes, that's ITB

[Bonesmart.org] My hip hip hooray journey<


Also

[Bonesmart.org] My hip hip hooray journey<
 
@Josephine, The exercises identified in the library article about IT band are all ones that I need to avoid since they require me to cross my legs. So just keep,walking and ice? Avoid working toward moving toes straight forward and just give it time? Let the PT ,
Massage the area to help loosen it up,until I can so my own stretches?
Help! Confused about what I can or should do or not do .... many thanks for aid and suggestions about how to proceed or NOT to proceed!
 
Oh yes - sorry. I forgot that before, didn't I? Perhaps in a couple of months.
In the meantime, as you have said. Though how about seeing a chiropractor?

And this Acupressure massage
 
@Josephine, I plan to rest myself, ice madly and let the inflamed ITB get better. The “work”on duck walk will be slow and steady, not rushed as I thought possible. DUH, if it took a year or two to get that way, it won’t take days to get it undone! Will try to find things to do that will help slowly and within my hip recovery plan!
Thanks again!!
 
I call that a plan @editted !
Wishing you a peaceful evening.
:ice:
 
@Mojo333, I am totally chill with ice above knee AND around hip/glute. And given that it hit 100today, it feels good! Have a great evening!
 
Weather has been same here...hot, hot, hot.
Glad my recovery was in the summer too though..Icing in the winter does sound less comfortable.
Hope today is a good day!:flwrysmile:
 
It has been a while since I checked in. Over 4weeks out now (but who is counting, lol). I have been hitting the PT twice a week, and doing a lot of walking and icing in between. They PT has been working on my IT band with massage, since few IT band exercises don’t involve crossing legs, a no-no according to my MD. PT says the lateral incision probably led the Doc to really push the OT band around, hence the knotted up-ness he was working out. The ice and heat for 15 minutes after the PT did his work were wonderful, something I continue at home. If this is the worst of it all, I am content!
Today, a girlfriend arrives to take the 3-in-one commode, and the other implements used immediately following surgery. She has opposite hip replacement in 2 weeks and I sure,y don’t need the goodies any more. I am happy to have the cane and ice and little else. So, as my theme song goes, hip, hip hooray!
Hope to head to the seashore for a different view for a week or so; no prancing in The sand, but long walks on the (flat) road to town and back! And glorious sunrises and sunsets! And ice, of course.
 
You sound splendid for only being one month post op:tada:
Yes, the ocean air will certainly help with all that ails you, in my opinion.
Just take it easy and don't overdo...
Girlfriend doesn't need a good bad example:heehee:
Hope your weekend is sweet
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom