THR My 'Everything Will Be Alright' Recovery recap - THR on 30 July 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 Weeks post-surgery update
I missed posting a week 5 update after reading about everyone else ;) Ha!

I will see if I can keep it to a short(ish) summary

Last week was my 5 week exam. It was a great review. Many/most precautions are lifted.
I can drive and have driven a few times. I think that makes my wife more nervous than I, it feels very safe to me and no issues. Last Monday, I even took the city bus with 2 transfers…less than comfortable, but it was a test. I had a few social outings during week five and I continued to build on what I was already doing. I accept many social outings a challenge and see how they go.

The OS said I am still under 2 main restrictions: crossing legs and bending more than 90 degrees. I can bend more than 90 if my leg is fanning outward. He is cautious, so I expect these to be place for a long, long time. I am also doing the 'golfer reach' and can get quite low, so the 90 degrees is not that big of an issue except for a couple things. Everything else I still use the grabber. If I have not mentioned before, I would not recommend hip replacement recovery to those who have a dog with incontinence. ;) yikes.
The X ray looks good, probably like others it is surprising to see all that metal. I feel like people are interested, but they mostly look the same to me. We discussed it and everything is in fine order. I still feel like my leg lengths are slightly off, but they swear it will settle. He said it might be off 1mm, but it is really close. I do have a little pelvic tilt that needs to sort itself out.

I have my next appointment in mid October which will be 11 weeks. Not sure exactly what to expect other than a check up and maybe relax of the 90 degree.

I am not taking any pain meds or Tylenol, I just ice for any soreness and that seems to work. I take a very small amount (150mcg) of Melatonin if I am restless at night.

I would estimate I am walking almost entirely without a cane, only bringing along for public places, unknown terrain or shopping. My wife laughs because she says I am mostly carrying it.
I am walking about 1.5-2 miles in the morning and that feels comfortable and sometimes I walk in the evening too. I am riding the exercise bike 20 min a day at level 2. All of this activity is approved by my OS. I have not started any outside PT yet, but I have a script. OS says at my own rate of exercise it is not necessary, but I want to give myself all chances to recover well.

My energy level is pretty good, but still not where I want to be. It is coming along and I still feel at a good recovery pace. If I do have a drain after exercise or work, I just ice and rest for a bit. I am working from home at decent level and feel I could handle a full day, but fortunately I rarely need to right now.

My stride is coming along well and I work to keep it even. It does feel like it is getting more natural and I often do not think about my hip when walking. I can go up and down stairs foot over foot and just take care when doing so. I do plenty of flights during the day to help with strength.

No swimming or water yet, but I am cleared for water activity as I see, no ocean activity expected, but a pool will be good for now. I had some lingering surgical tape on the wound until my surgeon ripped it off. My incision is about 3.5 inches and very clean. I need to get my wife to take a good photo still.

Not much to complain about. I do have some lower back soreness, but I figure that is mostly related to weak core muscles, new exercises and those buttock squeezes. Normally, I would stretch my back out, but I believe what I have done in the past would violate my restriction.
The pain is not very strong, so I keep doing stretches and figure it will subside as my core builds again.

Around 2 months, I will try to bike on the road (bike trail) for the 1st time. It will be a slow, short and mellow ride and likely on a step through frame.
While I am very anxious to get on a bike ride, do a small hike and get into the water, I am very grateful to have all my progress and small victories along the way.

If you decided to read all that, thanks for sticking it out, otherwise maybe it was worth a skim through.
 
@grnplatebrd It really sounds like you are doing wonderful and making really good progress. Other than a few restrictions and not quite ready to ride a road bike, you are almost back to normal. I have pushed the bending a little bit out of pure determination to be more independent and have paid for it so you are wise to stick to the rules & guidelines. I have had several occasions where I have had no choice but to do the golfer's reach and can grab something small off the floor but I sure don't feel terribly safe doing it. Do you know that "Murphy's Law" of dropping everything when you can't or shouldn't be bending over? Every time I have tried to get some dinner prep done before hubby gets home I have dropped onion off the cutting board. Because it is poisonous to the dog I have no choice but to get it up quickly. Another thing I drop all the time is a pill or small piece of jewellery that I fear the dog would eat! The grabber or kitchen tongs are not fine tuned quite enough for everything. Keep up the great work, I am sure by your 11 week check you will be flying about!
 
@grnplatebrd, you're killing it! No way I'm walking as much as you, nor doing the stairs! OMG! I'm SO jealous!
I'm working most of the day now and still keeping up with the laundry and some light cooking at night but it's time for a major grocery-shopping excursion this weekend and I'll depend on hubby to help. All in all, you're really doing so well. Congrats on a great report!
 
@Carriemay60 You are pretty awesome. Yes, it never fails to have something simple...yet important get away from us. I can see how the dog would complicate that and I did realize that onions are bad for dogs.Our dog has always avoided them at all costs, so it was a non-issue. As you can probably tell, having a hard time focusing on work today. Blue sky, sun and Friday might be contributing to that. I like @beachgal 's tape method. Thank goodness our onions are not yet magnetic..ha ha. Keep up your great work and energy. We will all get to the place we want to be
 
@beachgal Well thanks for the all the positive feedback. I certainly consider you a trailblazer and major influence on us all. You have a great energy that lifts and informs so many people. I appreciate that and thank you for rallying the troops in so many cases. I agree with what I have read over and over, it is really hard not to compare to other stories or experiences. I am certainly guilty of that, so curious about where I 'should' be according to others. It is amazing to see the differences and phases that each of us encounter. I always feel that in one moment someone is having an upsurge of mobility or progress and then suddenly it becomes another's (and hopefully our own) turn to jump up to a new marker or level for ourselves. I have found that the more I return to 'normal' life, work and such, the more discipline it takes to be sure I get my exercises completed. As you mentioned, so many domestic tasks take their own time, but I realize how I cannot compromise my day to day healing. Reminders of where the big prize truly lies...years and years of the quality of life we strive for. That said, your reports are great to read as well. You sound like you are doing fantastic and again, always inspiring to read about your gains. I hope heading into Friday and weekend you have some wonderful experiences to look forward to. Just sitting and relaxing by the coast is reason enough to celebrate!
 
This does not really apply to everyone, but if you are in the northern latitudes many regions have a decent chance to see Aurora Borealis tonight. With any luck even in the cloud covered Pacific NW
 
Hi @grnplatebrd, great report! It can be hard to temper every day tasks and recovery and working out which can be left. I know at one point I was putting out the rubbish bins for collection and trying to pull it with the crutch. By the end of that I was tired. It was probably week 6 and others were walking miles unaided and that was my challenge.... but it is difficult not to compare but by the sound of it you're doing mighty!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Hi @grnplatebrd - sounds like you are doing fantastic, slowly and surely getting back to normalcy!! When do you think you'll begin outside PT?
 
@NoraJ Rubbish bins. Wow, that is impressive and understandable as to why you were tired. My wife still does that for now. It is a project for sure in our house. In your thread you once observed 'it is a marathon, not a sprint' and it was a great piece of advice for me and gave me perspective. It really did set my mind in a good place, so thanks for that. I too have been/can still be guilty of comparing. Hard not to, such a fine line, sometimes it is good to read others progress about a task....other times it feels bad for my ego. Probably one of the larger lessons for me in this journey. I have learned some great information from your post so thanks for sharing your experiences. Have a very pleasant Saturday and hope the weather is favorable in Ireland today.
 
@toohip thanks for cheering! I go back and forth with when to begin outside PT. I am anxious to have great results in my recovery, but I guess not overly anxious as I have not started yet and continue with my own PT and exercises for now. It is certainly one aspect that I feel most here are very involved with already. Am I behind for that? I do not know for sure, but I am sticking with what has been working for me. I expect that soon I will commit, but is already over a week since I received my script. I am trying to listen to my body and want to be sure I have healed tissue well before adding the new step to mobility and strengthening. As most of the Bonesmart moderators and my OS observe, the walking, healing and exercises go a long way on their own. I believe you have started off site PT, if so, is that going well for you? I was just catching up on your thread this morning. You are doing really great with your recovery
 
Well, the Northern Lights were a bust for seeing around here, but getting out and seeing stars and the moon were well worth it.
 
Open question, for those at or ahead of me in their recovery, I still have the 'wallet in the back pocket' sensation. It is far less than earlier weeks, but still there. I believe @muckingabout referred to it once as feeling like golf balls in the pocket. Sometimes I take great pleasure in feeling the sensation and it actually does turn out to be keys in my pocket. I expect this will pass, right? I just hit my 6 week mark and posterior approach, do most stop feeling this around the 2-3 month phase?
 
The golfballs is just when I lay on that side. I'm guessing its a scar tissue kind of thing. I also get a tightness that feels like someone pressing a fist into the outside of my thigh/hip, but it works itself out if I walk far enough
 
@muckingabout thanks for your input, I agree with the scar tissue and that it will get better with time. I could have been clearer in my description, the sensation is one felt with sitting or laying on my side. Upright I am good. I have lots of little sensations (tingle or pressing fist) that are short lived and I feel they are just part of our healing. I just started to sleep a bit more on my sides, both surgical and 'regular', but they are short lived moments and I go back to my back for main sleeping. It is such a relief though to be able to work other positions in for comfort and my sanity though
 
Just a thought, @grnplatebrd, I've been using Vitamin E oil on my incision site and around it since it's healed, as suggested by some on this site, and I'm finding that it eases the tightness. I don't think I've used it long enough for it to be making a huge difference in the scar tissue yet, but it feels good to massage it on the sensitive little line. Might be something you'd want to try?!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@beachgal, I have been meaning to pick some up. Need to put it on the supplement list for the next run. Thanks for another good tip
 
Hi @grnplatebrd - I started outpatient pt friday...it went slowly...just hooked me up to the machine that sends slight 'electric pings' to your operated leg...then did some leg lifts and then therapist stretched me out. it all felt pretty good. I am scheduled for 3 pt appointments next week...i'm sure it will get a bit tougher as i go along. I have been walking everyday with and without cane.
 
Anyone know how long is typical for outpatient PT? I feel like I don't really need a ton more.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom