Guest viewing is limited

THR My 'Everything Will Be Alright' Recovery recap - THR on 30 July 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Carriemay60 thanks for checking in and your constant positive influence. I hope to keep finding a good balance of pushing healthy limits, but I definitely feel moments of the mental long game with this recovery. As I have often noted, you are very strong and I could learn a thing or two from your own toughness
 
@toohip thank you for your input. I am really happy to hear you are also doing very well. I think as I reached that 3 month mark it is harder to note progress the same. Work, home life and daily activity returned for me and that brings it's own responsibility with how I navigate and progress this next phase. I often want to do way more physical activity, but I can see my body is telling me to slow it down some still. I am very grateful for where I am at, but still find that some degree of healing is definitely present.
 
@xtina16405 thanks for the cheering on and reading along. It is nice to know that someone might find help or comfort with other people's experience. We will all get there and enjoy our new hips!
 
Happy Halloween! It seems that my costume was chosen for me. Exploding Head Man. I had been inching toward a cold this week and last night and today it took hold. Oh well, 1st cold in post-surgery. Had to happen eventually. Other than some extra energy drain and aches, it feels like a pretty normal cold. I read about others enduring a cold during their recoveries and during earlier weeks. I wIll put this in the Return To Normal Life category. Some déjà vu for the day, resting in bed with the bed tray for eating, extra sleep and my wife nursing me. I hope to move through this quickly. Have a nice weekend everyone!
 
Hi @grnplatebrd - feel better, i also woke up today with head cold!! was able to entertain last night dinner and all and then go out till 1am...woo hoo!!! have been dragging today tho...but no pain!!
 
Thanks @CanukTriMom @toohip . I appreciate it. I was wiped out yesterday, but recovering today. No extra hassles from the hip, just a good old fashioned cold with a serious headache. I hope you are both feeling good and enjoying your weekend. One more day of rest and I will be ready to pick up where I left off
 
I've not seen you much on BS so I know your life is resuming post-op and you're doing well. So happy for you! We will always be aware of these new hips but thankful that they provide the means to live a happy life! So happy for you!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Feel better soon! Good to hear from you...


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
OK, been so long, it might just make sense to just start over…except for that pesky hip replacement.
Things are going well. I hope all who read this are doing well too, I found myself in an unintended hiatus from Bonesmart and general updates. I have plenty of family members still waiting for their November update, so I hope my family is gossiping to each other.
I have my 6 month exam with the surgeon this coming friday. My day to day is feeling pretty normal and similar to where I was leading up to my surgery, but without joint pain. There are small nagging things, like a bit of lower back pain, but that tends to be fleeting and the PT said a bit of that just goes along with my age too. I had a bit of knee soreness in the fall, but with continued exercise and overall strengthening that seems to have faded.

I did outpatient PT during November and December, but that has stopped unless there become a need to do so again. During PT, I acquired a good set of exercises that are now my daily routine and have replaced my initial group from after the surgery. I had a few mental lulls during the Fall months, wanting to be farther along and progressing more, but the PT did a good job to solve that. That seems to be a common experience for many, but still hard to deal with at times. I felt I was later than most in starting outpatient and I feel it was well timed for my recovery.
My PT told me 2 things that fit well. 1 was 'Welcome to Humanity' was his response when I told him I am not used to rehabbing an injury and being so limited by my activities. The 2nd bit of advice was 'Stop thinking of yourself as a patient, that is limiting'. He was a very good listener and adjusting his activities to what he felt was right. Never pushing too hard, but frequently pushing limits to show what we could do. I asked 'are you sure?' more than a couple times.

Right now I feel that the exercise bike and clamshells do the most for helping me build strength and tissue back. My Gluteous Medius was pretty weak before surgery and every week it feels better and as a result make everything feel more balanced to me. I keep getting reminders from others about how gradual the entire recovery is. I do not feel any signs of leg length difference and my stride is pretty normal, but when tired it might still be a bit off. I have gone ice skating a couple times, which feels like a gray area, but I took it mellow and everything was fine. I am confident in my ability so I did not feel much at risk and just kept a buffer between myself and other skaters. I hope this will continue to be in my list of returning activities. The process was also a good confidence booster in general, taking back a bit more of normal life.

As markers and achievements slow down, I need to keep my routine of plugging away and be grateful in new sensations, better cardio and any new muscle growth. I plan to give an official report after the next exam. Be well everyone!
 
I think it sounds like you're doing just fine. Sometimes it's easy to think we should just breeze back into "normal life" after this major surgery. But we forget how long our bodies struggled with a bad joint, making muscles and other soft tissue compensate for it. A person doesn't just pop back after all that. It takes time to be really normal again. You'll be better at a year and even better than that at two years out. But right now, you're pretty darned good!
 
@grnplatebrd, so happy to read your post. I, too, have been missing from the board for awhile. On my sixth month anniversary of THR, 1/25/15, I was flying to Paris with my hubby. It was a joy I can't explain and equally a fear. As often the case, everything was fine. Better than fine.

Glad to read of your exercises. I've been much too slack in my routine and need to get serious about strengthening these muscles. You are my inspiration to make that a priority.

Happy Valentine's Day, BSmartie!

JB


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom