Guest viewing is limited

THR My 'Everything Will Be Alright' Recovery recap - THR on 30 July 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
@BeachLover Greetings and nice to hear from you. Pretty cool that our surgery was the same day. Very interesting that you started outpatient PT at the 2 week mark. As you point out, so much variation on schedules and recovery. While I feel pretty good, I am not sure if I would be ready yet. I am happy to hear that you are progressing. Keep it up and as you say we will all make it! I can understand fears, I can see how the mental game is a big part of this process as well. Thank you for the encouragement and I wish you much success as we head into our 3rd week!
 
@MajorHeidi Thank you. Yes I am feel pretty good. You are always such a bright light and I hope you are doing great. Any more stair outings or fun outside adventures? Yes, you did mention the FitBit in an earlier response. I have not had a chance to check it out yet, but I will. Seems like a great way to track distances and establish a good routine for tracking progress. Enjoy your Saturday morning
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Friday took a while for me to get going both mentally and physically. The body felt a bit blah and so did my mental state. I like to get most stretches done pretty early the morning, get breakfast moving and get the day rolling. Eventually I put the muck behind me and it was early afternoon before I finished my exercises. The highlight of the day was having good friends over who brought a lovely meal, we were able to hang out and be social outside like summer is supposed to be. It was good for our spirits. Sort of the kind of activity we have been missing for most of our summer. I still managed my 1 block walk and at the end of the day the hip is feeling in a good place. While my swelling has always been moderate, I feel like my tissue is feeling more normal. Like I am starting to understand my hip better everyday, feels more like it is connected to me more and not just a tangled mess of tissue and soreness. Plenty of healing to do, but I guess that would be my little victory for today
 
@ grnplatebrd, love your Friday activities! Outside with friends and food is definitely a summertime thing!
We've all missed our share of such this year but will be in fine shape for future summers!!

It's been a quiet day for me today. Hubby and dog are taking their second nap of the day and we had our lunch outdoors which was nice. I showered and shampooed again and get more confident with each try. Today I dropped the soap! Figures!!
I had lathered up already so I just left it there until I dried off and dressed. Grabbed my trusty reacher and plopped it back in the soap dish! Little victory!! Haha




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal
Sounds like a good way to spend your day. Family nap. You sound off to a great start to the weekend...except for that pesky soap. We have another meal and different friends coming over tonight, so likely a repeat. I better rest up ;) Enjoy your day
 
@grnplatebrd sounds like two very nice days with friends.
Good for you!
Just to share what you will be able to do.....
Today, I walked 3 miles, then drank a diet pepsi, and promptly went to work in the back yard for 3 hours straight pulling weeds, hard pruning a huge lilac and moving away all the branches to the side yard.
Then had no strength left to change to a bathing suit, just drove to the pool to sit with a friend for an hour in the sun which was nice. Whew! A full day. A nice day.
Hope yours was same.
 
@MajorHeidi Thanks, the social visit yesterday was a big shorter as our friends have a couple little kids. Lots of time for visiting in the future.

Wow, great job with walking 3 miles and more work in the yard after. Really sounds like a wonderful day and a great way to end it too! Sun, pool and a friend. :)

Today is pretty similar to yesterday for me. Only big change is that I am working on my 2nd day in a row with only Tylenol. I do not feel pain inhibiting any activity right now, so I like to give the oxy a break if not needed for pain management. Today will also include a 2nd walk around the block(with cane) so that will make for about 1/2 mile outside today. We also got our dog back from 'vacationing' at our friends that have been watching her for a couple weeks. She is old (15) so it has been a big help for us. Good to have her back as I have missed her.
 
@grnplatebrd, Happy for your doggy! There is no therapy like the love of your pet. Glad y'all are reunited.

Days are not all the same, are they?! I tend to set little goals for each day but not so stringent that if I don't meet them, I feel defeated. I'm learning my body's slow healing process but also paying attention to how much I can do with Tylenol vs Tramadol. I've taken four Tylenol over the past two days, mostly to help my muscles relax as I'm ready to rest. Don't discount drinking your water and icing and that's a reminder to me, too, as I only iced this afternoon after none yesterday.

Everyday is a new opportunity. It's up to us to work within our comfort zone to continue moving forward. You got this!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal Thanks and good points made. No, the days really are not the same. I probably just downplay it a bit. Every day has some kind of progression for me. I feel I am doing well with my recovery and while I am anxious to enjoy all the rewards of this, I do keep with a somewhat slow and steady pace for progression. When it is time to run and sprint forward I will. Good point about the water and ice. My water consumption is pretty high, I always hydrate well on a daily basis and it is habitual. I still ice 2 times a day and always after my walks. Thanks for keeping me on my toes and I always values your input and observations.
 
Hi @grnplatebrd - it sounds like you are doing sensationally well with your recovery. Being down a bit is very normal and I think we all go there from time to time. It is hard to judge where that line in the sand is between enough and too much but two walks and 1/2 mile all up is a super effort! And having your pooch back will surely be a great tonic for you.
 
@fulafoto Thanks Bill, I hope your little holiday was a good one. The photos you shared looks like it surely was. Yes, I do feel I am doing well with recovery. This morning I decided to go 2 blocks for the morning walk. With our dog back, my wife and I took her out together. Having her back is really nice, but it does bring some added care for both of us. She has take up her spot near my bed set up and I am able to pet her without violating any precautions. How are you doing and feeling since returning?
 
The 4 weeks from surgery day review:
I continue to progress at a decent rate, quite happy with it. I may not be blazing ahead, but it feels like a natural curve for me. I am not pushing anything too hard and feel I am striking a good balance. My next exam is on the 4th of September and shortly after I will be starting outpatient PT.

Pardon me for getting a bit long, but I have not been very good about updating.

As the day to day goes:
Keeping up with icing, walks and all the exercises. All the current activity is quite natural and comfortable, so I slowly add more sets to keep the progression toward better strength and stamina. I keep my walking at 2 blocks in the morning and 2 blocks in the evening (with a cane and also walking nearly 1/2 without the cane). I am paying attention to my gait and it feels pretty good. Neighbors say I am already walking better than before the surgery. I have been using the crutch to go up and down stairs on my own without a railing, the foot alternating method still, not foot over foot yet.
Sometimes I extend my walks by a few blocks and my body does well with the extra walking.
In general, I plan to maintain this distance as it seems like a good fit for my current level.

This week I started to add 10-15 minutes of the exercise bike in. It is set to the lowest resistance and with the intention to get my muscles and tissue use to the cycling motion again. This was cleared by my OS and it has felt good. I plan to add a minute every day and when I get to 20 min, I will add a little tension.

I have been off Oxycodone since Aug 15 and I use Tylenol/Tylenol PM for comfort as needed. If I have problems sleeping I take a very small amount of Melatonin. I continue to ice for any flare ups with pain or soreness after activity. I have also realized that I should ice regardless of any pain, just to keep the practice and ice internal tissue that I might not know about yet. Lots of water consumed too, which has to be good. I know @beachgal would agree.

During week 3, I felt a little lull and perhaps even a bit of cabin fever. I think it had to do with the reality that life does not stop because I am in recovery.

This past weekend was very nice as I made to a couple restaurants and my wife and I went out of the house for small 'adventures'. It was really nice to walk (with a cane) somewhere other than around my house. Sunday was even better as we were able to access and dunk my feet into the Columbia River. A very nice connection to nature for me. Even had my 1st beer since June, so it felt like a good return to normalcy and almost like a vacation. How could I not? it almost felt like summer was just starting ;)

I am not much of a homebody, so all this was great for my spirit, recovery and confidence that healing is indeed happening even if I do not see it on a daily basis. I know the mental journey is just as big as the physical one, so I take that in stride the best I can.

I would like to take the opportunity to say thanks to @beachgal, @muckingabout, @Carriemay60, @MajorHeidi, @NoraJ, @fulafoto and others.
I have a lot of respect for you guys/ladies and appreciate your own journeys and healing that you share. Thanks to Bottomshollow for all your very helpful information you provide too

Be well everyone and look forward to reading more of your own stories
 
Well, @grnplatebrd you are doing just great!
Glad you are adding things to your regimen, and getting out and about to go and do things you enjoy.
That's what its all about!
What an excellent report you gave..... :yes!:
 
@grnplatebrd, this update has made me giggle!!! Love the progress, the outings, the general feeling of optimism that radiates between the lines. Our recoveries are so parallel. I feel like your victories are mine, too!!

Keep up the good work and I'll do the same!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
To me it also sounds like you are doing great.

I've been focusing on *ME* and hadn't checked your thread much (some reason not getting notified when someone posts in it) so it's good to see that besides checking my stuff you are posting your own and it sounds like you are making great progress.

You seem to be adding lots of physical work in without setting yourself back. Did I read that (quickly) correctly?

If that is correct then I would be delighted with similar progress. (Really)

Keep on doing exactly what you know will work for you as long as it doesn't do you any damage or cause you setbacks.

I don't really like to 'walk' that much so it would be great if you would just keep taking those walks for me, ok? :)

Once I'm comfortable enough to take a puppy that might be different, something to do and somebody to talk to, but right now it's a little risky to walk a puppy and perhaps meet another one -- my dogs LOVE to make friends and get so excited they want to jump out of their fur so the risk of falling is not small.

I envy you the bike (my first attempt on a bike was aborted due to the pedal reach being to large for my limited ROM knees). The elliptical glider/strider, some kind of Cybex x-country ski machine ALMOST works for my knees but not quite yet so it can't do that.

Keep using the cane as much as you feel necessary (until your doc and PT suggest it might be interfering with your re-establish your correct gait).

I am using mine quite a bit even though it isn't require and it keeps me from tiring so quickly when walking while allowing me to walk a bit faster (faster than dead slow that is.)

Use it or not around the house but try to have it with you when going places even if you stop using it much. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@grnplatebrd

It sounds like you are doing wonderfully! I so envy you dipping your feet in the water!! Like you allude to, summer has passed us by this year so to be able enjoy some little things before the snow flies is very uplifting and good for the spirit. It is wonderful when others notice our progress as I am not sure we notice the little things adding up to a noticeable difference. I admire your sensible strategy to recovery and I think you are proving it is the best approach ~ as you know, I have a similar approach, although a little slower with my leg as well, I think it will pay off in a full, well rounded recovery. :)
 
@grnplatebrd

It sounds like you are doing wonderfully! I so envy you dipping your feet in the water!! Like you allude to, summer has passed us by this year so to be able enjoy some little things before the snow flies is very uplifting and good for the spirit. It is wonderful when others notice our progress as I am not sure we notice the little things adding up to a noticeable difference. I admire your sensible strategy to recovery and I think you are proving it is the best approach ~ as you know, I have a similar approach, although a little slower with my leg as well, I think it will pay off in a full, well rounded recovery. :)

+1

Everything @Carriemay60 wrote! It's not nature, but I am headed to the (therapy) pool at the YMCA in just a few minutes, delighted to get back into water (after a thorough waterproofing of my incision with Nexcare Tegaderm bandage).

Keep on healing!
 
@Carriemay60 @muckingabout
Thanks for checking in, I did not mean to drop off like that. Last week got a little busier in general, life stuff mixed in with some work that takes me longer due to recovering as well. We also had an out of town visitor (@Carriemay60 from BC) over the weekend. All has generally been good though. I will work to catch up with you guys and then give a new report. Just had my 5 week with the surgeon today and 'THE' X-ray that I think we all look forward to. Phew, keeping up with the internet can be hard sometimes ;) ha ha
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom