THR My 'Everything Will Be Alright' Recovery recap - THR on 30 July 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
@beachgal, @MajorHeidi, @NoraJ , @toohip, @muckingabout
The big review. The game went well. No issues. We parked about 8 blocks away, even though our tickets were in the main rowdy section of the stadium they are general admission seats, so that gives us the luxury of moving to other general admission area that was more fitting. I used the cane due to the amount of people, it also worked its magic for a couple street crossings ;)
We posted up and stood for the game, it seemed easier to me instead of cramming in tight crowded seats with lots of jostling and sitting. I did not mind at all and my friends were very supportive about what I might need. We had space, no worries about being bumped and a great line for viewing. Plus bathrooms and the beer stand were close. Never hurts. I brought the cane, so between that and leaning on a wall or structures I felt quite comfortable. I could tell I was getting a bit of energy drain by the end, the sun contributed to that as well. I only had 1 beer in the stadium and stuck with water, once home I hydrated and iced the hip.
No remorse this morning and doing my normal stretches/exercises to keep everything from getting sore or tight.

Good experience and thanks for your input and support prior. You helped me to accurately assess that my body was indeed up to the task. It was good for the spirits too. Perfect weather for a day out. Very happy to pull off another summer outing before the sun disappears for the 5 months.

Social/music event later today, I am attending with a person on crutches, so we will have some solidarity in our limitations. I expect a safe atmosphere again :)
[Bonesmart.org] My 'Everything Will Be Alright' Recovery recap - THR on 30 July 2014
 
@grnplatebrd - sounds like fun...and another small step back to everyday life...before you know it, you'll be on a soccer field running and kicking the ball yourself!!
 
@grnplatebrd Neat pic! Good view.... Glad you and your friends had a wonderful outing.
It sure sounded nice to me. Enjoy today, too
 
@grnplatebrd , Hi, Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for saying hi. Everything is going good. I am 12 weeks out today and i feel great. I am going home to Michigan in October for my 40 yr Championship football team i was on. We are the only team since 1914 that went undefeated. I did not know if i was going to be able to go back physically. But my recovery is so good i am flying back.
 
@Michegon I think I just understood your name. Oregon and Michigan combined? Glad to hear you are doing well and are feeling great. To me the bilateral HR is super impressive, but I can see how you would be better for it in the end. My hips are quite different so I hope to have many more years left on my natural. Cool trip you are taking, and what a great reward to all your work and progress. Enjoy
 
Wow, a month since my last post here. I guess the day to day life took over.

I have had my 11 week exam with the OS. Today marks 13 weeks post-surgery. All good reviews from the OS. Nothing concerning him or ever very exciting. More or less he has given me approval for many activities as long as I still do not violate the mid line and any bending past 90 degrees he still wants my leg to angle out or have a wide stance. I am good to squat or kneel and get on the ground as long as I follow that.

My sets of stairs at the park has been interrupted by rain these days. While I do not mind rainy weather, right now I do not think it is prudent to climb stairs in the rain...and mostly dark evenings. My brief phase of biking on the road is being replaced by the exercise bike again. That is fine as I can work up a sweat without worry of impact. I slowly return to somewhat normal activities, just scaled back versions. I am able to stand for long periods of time without having any remorse or side effects. I have now been to a concert in an arena that I stood most of the time. No real dancing, more of the sway back and forth type. Scariest moment for me was walking to seat with limited foot space. I was careful and cautious and nearly felt like old times.

I still feel that I offset my weight a little bit, I guess I need to settle a bit more still. Sometimes, I that affects my gait, but many times I walk very smooth and other people are not noticing a limp. I am noticing some popping, soreness and fatigue in my non-surgical hip. Surgeon said if that continues he will take a look at that during my next appointment. So I guess I roll with that for now and keep strengthening both sides as I recover. From my Xray, there looks to be good spacing and cartilage there. Everything feels pretty good, but the normally active side of my personality wants to always be 1 or 2 steps further along, so I have to keep that in check for now. I still get a few tingles here and there and depending on the car seat I can feel the 'joint' a bit. Not like a wallet sensation anymore, but not like the other hip either. Sometimes I wonder if I should be pushing my hip activity harder, but the smart money seems to be on the slow and steady pace and that time will heal best.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you're doing well. I'd say you are wise to remain with the slow and steady approach. There is plenty of time for pushing and strengthening. Thirteen weeks is still a bit early for that for most people.
 
Yup, slow and steady is the best approach. You don't want to be dealing with a sore hip. Sounds like you are on track. Well done!
 
@You sound great! It seems you really are back to a fairly normal life in most respects. Glad to hear you are erring on the side of caution and staying off wet surfaces for your stairs and bike. Keep up the great work!
 
Hi @grnplatebrd - So happy that your recovery is going so well for you and that you've progressed so far. I have also been lapse in my updates...but i'm doing well and have my 12 week OS appt next week. Slow and steady is definitely the way to go! For me, going up stairs is still a little weak, but other than that, i'm doing fine!
 
So nice to hear the progress and what I have to look forward too. So happy you are doing well. I loved reading your recovery pre-op.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom