Guest viewing is limited

THR My 'Everything Will Be Alright' Recovery recap - THR on 30 July 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was the 2 week mark of my surgery date, what day is it anyway.... ;) I only hope someone notifies me if Mt St Helens erupts again. I jest, I know the world has many struggles unfolding as I sit here in my little recovery bubble.

While I am happy to be at this marker and feel very fortunate with how I am recovering, not a whole lot changes right now. I just keep on doing what I do. Resting and I keep with my 1 block (.25 mile) walk and will do so for more 4-5 days to follow. I feel like it is a good level to be at and do not want to add more distance too soon. I still get up for plenty of short walking and movement in the house during the day. It was the 2nd night that when I woke with some discomfort I solved it with elevation instead of pain meds. I continued with my normal meds at breakfast and before sleep. I do my exercises and I plan to add 1 more session during the day to slowly work myself up one notch...but keeping the increase in check. I have a work project I can do, some visitors for dinner tonight and started reading a bit more.
Historically, I have a hard time being idle, so I should enjoy some of this time off if I can
 
If you want to know the compression of your current stockings, you can contact your surgeon's nurse. They should know what he usually prescribes.
 
@Jamie thanks. I spoke to my care coordinator and she is checking my files from the hospital


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Here's a thought (which you should check with someone of expertise). I noticed that I can easily walk backwards (on my walker) which was painful pre-op.

I wonder if walking backwards would help you with your heel-toe practice.
 
I get into our shower backwards. It's how PT gal showed me. Leave walker just outside shower door. So I exit forward. Same thing. No hurt now either way!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal, @muckingabout
Interesting observation and input. I will give it a try. Not sure I am going to go for the backwards shower entry, that sounds advanced. Although I suppose I am backing in to a degree anyway. I have noticed the ease of backward stepping, but never really thought much about it.
 
@beachgal @grnplatebrd one thing I need to work on is putting weight on my operative leg, not because I'm afraid to now, but because I got in the habit of depending on my good leg before surgery. If I am brushing my teeth, or making a cup of tea or something, my weight is distributed like 70/30. I need to get it to 50/50
 
@muckingabout
Good observation. I wonder where I am at for the weight balance. I will test the balance theory when I do a few tasks. Today I woke a bit more sore, nothing really different in my day other than a chair exercise the PA gave me and sitting a little longer in the chair. That chair alone can feel like a new stretch. I take it as a sign and will be a bit more conscious of my motions and movements during the day.
 
@muckingabout , I am finding that a real challenge the last few days as well. I am sure I was getting my op leg/foot flat in the hospital with the walker but since the OS shocked my knee a bit, it just doesn't want to go flat out. It's not hurting, just feel I have to push it so hard. I assume is habit picked up from 4 months on NWB with the leg. While doing a house lap this morning I felt my walker slide forward without me on the wood floor which scared the living daylights out of me! I will be happy to have my husband home for the weekend and maybe see some progress with his support.
 
No way I'm 50/50. I'm still favoring my non op leg. I'm just not ready to try even balance although I've been trying to stand in place with even weight. It's the walking that's throwing me. I'm hoping outside PT will help me with it and offer up some easy transitional exercises to help my strength and mental block. So remembering that old pain and how I tried to avoid it by limping. Ugh!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@muckingabout nice news about getting your staples out. What kind of PT are you expecting after that step, some outpatient? or will you have someone come to your home? I have decided to push any outpatient PT out until about my 4-5 week marker. This week feels like a week for understanding what my body is telling me
 
@Carriemay60 Scary moment with the walker, glad there were no mishaps or set backs. Funny the small amount of 'trouble' we end up getting ourselves into. I often feel like I am constantly solving little puzzles during the day
 
@beachgal @muckingabout
I would say that PT is one of big areas of curiosity and aspects I love hearing other's experiences. I will anxiously follow along with what you find is working well for you
 
@grnplatebrd Outpatient. I don't know if it would start right away or not. I would like to see what I can do. All I have now are the circulatory exercises.

There are things I'd like to try and I don't know if it's okay. Can I start to stretch outward, how does my gate look, etc.
 
@ grnplatebrd @ muckingabout My in house PT finished up today. I passed, if that's the correct term. I start PT at the Healthplex Monday. This is where the water hits the wheel, so to speak. I'm sure my sense of humor will be tempered by my aching muscles afterwards but that's ok. Bring it on.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
John, we had our surgery the same day. Interesting to read various results. My doctor had me start outpatient PT the same day of my 2 week check up (i.e., Tuesday) and I can tell you those people do not have any mercy! But I am making progress. I am not walking as much as you are, but can back into the shower or the car seat, etc. I am just scared to turn loose of the walker. My biggest fear is falling.

Keep going forward, friend. We will make it!
 
@grnplatebrd Your walking program sounds just right for you. If you try too much too soon you can get whacked!
I can't recall if I told you , but I use a Fitbit Flex around my wrist and it tracks steps and miles, etc.
It was really helpful to me (initially, to judge distance gone), and later on (to set mileage goals).
You are doing well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom