THR My 'Everything Will Be Alright' Recovery recap - THR on 30 July 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical outside PT is three weeks unless there is a specific need for more, after three weeks of in-house PT for a total of six weeks. I felt like my last week was useless. I could have done my exercises alone.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I love my PT, but I feel like if I am released to regular activity, I can do what PT does. I have pretty easily handled any challenge they have thrown at me.
 
There are a couple of advantages to formal PT with a therapist:
  • Show you exercises you don't yet know and correct your form
  • Make sure you don't skip the exercises you don't 'like'
  • Help you with exercises that require a partner (e.g., assisted stretching)
  • Fixed time appointment ensures you 'show up'
  • Evaluate your progress to suggest which exercises are useful or need to be added/removed
  • May have equipment you lack access to use
Most of these are not overwhelming advantages but they can be important for some people some of the time.
 
Oddly enough, it's quite possible that after my past two weeks of therapy this may be the end (of formal therapy) for me on the hip

It will probably take a lot more when the BTKR is done.

But there really is not much point for now; my Y is the pool for the water therapy, and the gym up there is as good or better than the therapy at the hospital. My focus moved almost immediately to preparing for the BTKR and they really aren't needed for that.
 
Thanks for your input @beachgal , @muckingabout about the PT

Thank you @HerbM for the summary of the advantages of outside PT, I would say 3 of those items are my main hope/intention of the therapy. Being sure my form is correct being a large one. I feel I am pretty good about my own exercises and know my body, but creating the correct gait and form is important, so I had better do it right
 
Just checking in on you @grnplatebrd, to see if you are using outside PT and how it's going? I'm still trying to get over to the local rehab facility that has an indoor pool. I haven't checked it out yet but I may just talk myself out of it for now. We are going on three long weekend trips in October/November and I'll have access to various pools while we're away so it might be better for me to continue with it after I've tried it on vacation. It's still just a learning curve!
 
@beachgal Thanks for asking. I have not started outside PT yet. I will be sure to report when I do. Boy, that is getting away from me, we have a few things that have made me busier lately and hard to add that in right now. I feel I am doing pretty well and I will get to formal PT, but I have no problem letting my current activity and time do the healing for the next week or two. I also would like to do some pool walking and get to some light gym use. Historically I have kept myself in very good shape with my lifestyle and that is my natural mindset and preference. Gyms do not come easy to me, but I use them as necessary if my outdoor activities are not doing enough or I want to ramp up. Awesome you have 3 trips coming up, I expect they will be blissful and super fun! Look forward to hearing the reports
 
@beachgal inspired me to do a mini report.

Tomorrow I hit 7 weeks from my surgery date, which seems almost unbelievable in some ways. I still feel I am recovering and healing well, feeling I am keeping my momentum going. This past week was a bit busier with many outings in the outside world. All of which I feel I succeeded with and did not have any setbacks or remorse that I did too much. I feel my stamina is slowly building, both socially and physically. I did a couple drives in the car that had me behind the wheel for 1.5 hours at a time and was maybe a bit stiff after, it was nothing that did not ease with ice and just a bit of time resting. Each of these involved an activity that I consider part of my lifestyle and I did a few small 'hikes', mostly on flat trails, but one had plenty of steps to challenge myself. I used the cane where needed for safety...especially on the steps. My wife and I were very careful about what was happening, even kidded about whether the activity was 'OS Approved'. I continue with all my exercises, adding more reps where needed and adding time and tension to the exercise bike. I am happy with the level I am at and hope to get biking on a street in a week or so (per the OS suggestion). Yesterday I started to do a large set of stairs in a city park and I will work that in. It is primed for a workout and gets me out at the same time. Good for cardio too without having to push the body too hard. No ill effects after, I could feel it in my glutes for sure and want to continue to strengthen them. I started sleeping in the normal bed like a normal couple again, with a little time on my side to break up the monotony of being on my back. Our aging dog is throwing curve balls at us with her own health, but we will get through that. Anxious moment this morning, but she seems to be better now. Guess that is it for the moment. Thanks for reading if you made it through all that blather....
 
@grnplatebrd You are making wonderful, steady progress in your recovery! Of course your recovery will be ongoing for some time yet but it really sounds like you are doing or close to doing most things to some degree.

I am very sorry to hear your dog is failing. We lost our retriever @ 14 years 1.5 years ago and it was harder than I ever could have imagined. Bless their hearts, they are really part of the family.

Keep up all your great work!
 
@beachgal @Carriemay60 I know you guys have dogs and have to deal with your own experiences. This morning's vet visit went well, all vitals and blood work are still good. Heart and lungs are strong. Prescribed some Metacam to help with her aging body and arthritis. Her kidneys and liver are in good shape, so she should be good for tolerating. On a hip note, during her 'episode' yesterday, I had to scoop her up without violating restrictions, I think the odd position strained muscles on my 'good side' and since then my hamstring and glutes on that side are sore. I am figuring that my current exercises will do a good job to soothe it. I hope your own dogs are happy and healthy, yours too @muckingabout
 
Very few things in this life level me but the thought of one day being without Banjo sends me reeling.:puppysmooze:

I've lost pups before and I know that it's part of life but it's not easy...heck, it's not easy watching him grow old....heck, it's not easy watching hubby and me grow old, either!

All I can say is that I'll be the one waving to you from the deck of the cruise ship. :rotfl:
 
@grnplatebrd Good to hear of your continued progress, and that your beloved pet is doing allright
now, too. My Heidi is getting arthritic, and sometimes has trouble jumping onto the bed, but the mattress gives a bit so that helps. We assist her up into the car. The vet may try shots, probably like some of us did before a THR.
 
Thanks for the nice thoughts about our dog situation. She is in pretty good shape for 15.
I know many of us have pets at home, this is our 'kid' that keeps us busy these days
[Bonesmart.org] My 'Everything Will Be Alright' Recovery recap - THR on 30 July 2014
 
@beachgal I hope you are waving back while you sail off to your own slice of paradise. I will happily wave back and be excited for your adventure. Do you have a cruise scheduled currently? Hope so
 
What a beautiful dog! What kind of dog is she??
 
thanks @Carriemay60 , we have been fortunate with her. She has a good health record, but she did tear her CCL last year. That changed how active she has been in the past year, but she often walks a mile a day still...maybe a day or 2 of rest and we can get her out for her usual. Just like all of us here, we take it one day at a time with her
 
Thank you @Jamie. She is a husky mix. Not sure about the other 1/2, but most suspect Border Collie as a possible 2nd breed
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom