THR My 'Everything Will Be Alright' Recovery recap - THR on 30 July 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhhhh....that's where those gorgeous blue eyes came from. I could stare into those eyes forever!!!
 
@grnplatebrd, what a sweet and beautiful pup! I had a husky-mix about twenty years ago, Katie was her name, and she was solely responsible for teaching me how to love unconditionally and completely. Dogs do that, you know...:roseshwr: When I had to have her put to sleep, I swore I'd never have another dog. It almost killed me. Then about eight years ago, one of my good friends who happens to be the executive director of the Humane Society of South MS called me about a dog whose owner had suddenly died of a heart attack. Totally trained service dog...yes, Banjo....and it's been love all over again...alas! What shall I do some day without him??

Get another dog. Plenty of them need good homes and they all love unconditionally and completely! :yay:
Just not ready to cross that bridge yet.

In fact, we DO have a cruise booked for next fall. We're sailing RT from NYC up to Halifax and back along the Canada/NE coastline. We'll go up a week early and hope to hit the Finger Lakes wine region and perhaps see an old friend in VT. :kayak:
Hope our ship is larger than that canoe!
 
@beachgal yes, I agree, heartbreak is part of the cycle. We are planning a pet hiatus once we are pet free. Do some extra traveling. I love dogs, but I will need a break too. Banjo sounds wonderful and I expect a trained service dog adds to the special relationship. Does that mean he can go on the cruise?

Glad to hear you have a trip scheduled. Sounds fun. Finger Lakes are pretty special and really beautiful in the fall. I grew up in Rochester, which is just north of the region. Lots of great wine and fun towns to explore. Hope you make it during your trip. But then again, VT is spectacular too and if you have a friend there...even better.
 
@grnplated We decided to take a hiatus after Balloo passed away. We also weren't sure if we could go with another retriever because she had been so lovely in temperament and we didn't want to put another dog in the position of having to live up to her. We did wind up getting another dog only a few months later because my husband had a promotion at work and it involved a lot of international travelling for up to two weeks at a time. With me on shifts and sometimes coming home to a dark house, being in the house alone with all the kids away now, I felt I wanted a dog here. We would up getting a Basset Hound just due to right place, right time and right price and we could blame any bad behaviour on her breed, LOL. In hindsight, it was probably too soon for us. We really love Truffles (despite her insane stubborn, stupid behaviour) and are very happy to have her, we just think waiting longer might have been better for us. In 27 years we had never been alone as a couple without kids or a dog depending on us and maybe should have taken advantage of that freedom for a bit longer. Mainly though, we were still really grieving and should have allowed ourselves that. Having said all that a friend at work who's little dog passed just an hour after ours got another dog (same breed, colour, etc.) got another puppy the following weekend and has never regretted it. It's a personal decision but taking some time for the freedom to decide on Thursday that you wanted to take off Friday after work for the weekend has a lot to be said for it.
 
@Carriemay60 yes, it is hard to make the right call when it comes to a new pet. Our dog has a good life, very active and she has the benefit of being around me a lot. It will be hard when the day comes, but I have had a few moments that I have already processed the sad day, so I hope that eases the heartache when we truly face it. We lost 2 cats earlier this year, so that made us pay extra attention and not take things for granted
 
@grnplatebrd I love our dogs so.....
We always have two.
It seems to help me cope. I just don't think I could even contemplate having no dog in the house.
Instead of being the basket case that I would be... still having one here helps me cope (in the past)....
If I only had one dog, It would be devestating to me. Big sigh.
So, this has worked for us... and the dogs enjoyed the companionship.
We would get another after maybe a year. ANd, thank goodness it has worked in this fashion.

I wish you and your companion all the best! :dogsniff:
 
@MajorHeidi Thanks for the well wishes Claire. I agree, dogs are amazing to have in our lives. Both in good and bad times. Your relationship with your own dogs and help in your recovery sounds very quite special. Good to hear from you, I can only expect you are doing well
 
Any thoughts or experiences about going to stadiums or sporting events? I am 7 weeks post-op and feeling good, but obviously I have not been around a stadium crowd. I have been invited to a soccer game, but I am on the fence. In some stadiums, it would be easy and lots of space, but Timbers games are always sold out and resemble more of the European atmosphere. Thoughts?
 
Hi @grnplatebrd - might be fun...i would say definitely bring cushion or pillow (butt will probably hurt)...does the stadium have individual seats or bleachers? ( haven't been to a soccer game, except at high school bleachers, lol)...if bleachers, that might not be that comfy to sit on for a long period of time. I would say go for it and if you get tired or whatever, just leave early. When you say euro atmosphere...does that mean excessive rowdiness/fights? if so, you might consider bringing your cane, etc, some people see you with that...and they become quite respectful, LOL.
 
@toohip Thanks for the input. Well, the tix are in the very spirited section of the stadium, but nothing like fights or anything crazy like that. Mostly that the stadium has a reputation for feeling more like European Football than US Soccer. I would definitely bring the cane and you are right, if anything gets to be too much I can always leave.
 
Hi @grnplatebrd,

I think it depends on the environment and how you are feeling. I would still be hesitant now to go to a large venue and manage crowds and stairs. I went to a large 2000 seater theatre at 8 weeks and found it hard work but as I've said elsewhere I wasn't a poster child for a speedy recovery. If you can limit your walking and have comfortable seats you could probably manage...but it would no harm if you could opt out early if you needed to go home.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@NoraJ Thanks for your input. I think you are right, the more I think about it the more it might not be very accommodating for me right now. The sensible side says not so fast, but the fun side says 'let's go'. I still have a bit more time to think it over
 
It's great that you feel up to considering it and that in itself is a good indication as to how well you are doing. If you weren't on the mend it would an outright no! But I think it's best to see how you go...

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@grnplatebrd I went to a Nascar race in Bristol, Tennessee where probably 100000 people attended.
I would highly recommend taking your cane (even if not needed at all), as it helped keep people steered away from you, and it helped on a rain delay where everyone had to go under the stands and I kindly asked if I could share a bench with another cane user......
Oh, the hard part of the Nascar race, was people in the stands constantly having to go to the restroom. So up and down and up and down etc.
But, I hope you go, and have fun!
 
@MajorHeidi well that is indeed a lot of people. I hope that was fun. I am leaning towards going to the game. There will be a lot of standing, but if I can mix it with a little sitting I think I will be fine. Sunny forecast, so rain is not an issue. I would definitely have a cane and be by a railing too.
 
@muckingabout Is the concert outside? Like Artpark or similar? I can only assume that Artpark is still there. Not sure if I would be ready for a full concert yet, we have tickets for a show in mid-October, but expect it should be fine as I will be at 11 weeks and my next OS exam is 2 days before. A friend of mine went to a show at his 5 week mark and survived fine, but said he was done at 1.5 hours. I decided to go to the soccer match tomorrow. We will find the safest spot we can, probably more toward the back and near a railing. The section we are in is general admission. Should be fun and I will keep a careful eye out for hooligans
 
Good luck and have fun. The concert's at Town Ballroom and general admission. I'm not quite there yet. Although I suppose I could hang back rather than get in the thick of things:) artpark is still there. I had hoped to go to arctic monkeys, but too much walking before surgery
 
@muckingabout well, maybe next week you feel up to it. That would be a fun night out for you. I am not familiar with the Town Ballroom, but did enjoy Nietzsche's back in the day. Fun place to see a show. Maybe next year the Arctic Monkeys will be back around
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom