PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I wouldn't settle for a PA either. You deserve the best! Maybe it'd be OK for the PA to order xrays, but that's all! When I went in for shots, the PA would do it, and that was OK with me. They give less painful shots!
 
I will definitely ask on the phone who I will see.
 
Just to let you all know, my knee is giving me a reprieve today. I’m thankful for small blessings.
:flwrysmile:
 
Yay! Let's hope it stays that way! You will probably be getting some of the same storms that we are predicted to have. So far, it's been quiet her. I did have some foot pain earlier, so the BP was be dropping.
Mine was bad this morning, but is better now. I started using a rolling pin on the lateral side and back, down to close to wear the bone break was. It's too tender there! I'll see if that helps.
 
We had heavy rain and thunder last night. Today it had only rained lightly, but fairly constant.

My kids from Ohio are coming tomorrow for several days. Three small children, the 2 youngest are active boys, ages 4 and 6, in our small house while it is supposed to rain every day they are here should be interesting!

My granddaughter is 8 and she loves to craft and now sew. We’ll see what we can come up with to sew. She actually used my sewing machine at Christmas and did very well. She’s such a sweetheart!
 
@kayow11
When you called offices to ask about a second opinion, we’re you assured you would see the surgeon himself, and not a PA as a preliminary?

This question came to my mind yesterday.

When I first went to my current surgeon’s office, none of us knew surgery would be the recommendation, so my first few appointments were with his PA. She ordered the MRI, the X-rays, and scheduled the surgery, which was a 3 month wait. I didn’t meet the surgeon until a month before surgery.

Now that I am going to book a second opinion I want to see the surgeon first off. Is that how things went for you?
 
I think you should specify that you want to see the OS and not a PA. You are the customer and they have to accommodate your wishes! Something as serious as a second opinion needs a real OS, not a PA!

If the worse thing happens and I have to have a revision I haven't made up my mind yet if I'll see another OS or not. If the implant became loose because of the cement failure and not something my OS did, I don't want to leave him. It's something that I'd really have to pray about. I firmly believe that God sent me to him in the first place and I need Him to guide me in any future surgeries. Lefty is still here waiting for her turn. I keep telling her, NO! So far, she's listening!
 
I agree I am the paying customer but that doesn’t mean they have to accommodate my wishes. Offices have protocol and it’s their way or the highway and their opinion is if I don’t like it I am free to go somewhere else.
 
I've never run into that with my visits. I always see the OS. Maybe Virginia has some different laws about it. I'm just glad I see the OS right off the bat!
 
@Jockette, When I went for the first time to see my original surgeon, at the appointment I was spoken to first by the PA, and then she said that I would be meeting with the surgeon. It seemed OK with me. I never thought that I would not be seeing the surgeon.

But when I saw the two other doctors for a consult regarding a revision, I never saw the PA, just the surgeons themselves. When I made the appointments, I did ask the scheduler, just to make sure I would be seeing the physician. I would not have gone if the appointment was with the PA.

My first postop visit was with the PA only, but the next appointment at 6 weeks was with the surgeon. I knew this early on.

Both of my surgeons said they would be happy to meet with me before surgery, if I had any more questions or concerns. I felt cared for by both of them in that sense.

@sistersinhim, I agree that if a failed joint was the result of something loosening up, I would probably stay with the same OS, provided that I still trusted him, and felt he was competent. I also prayed for God to lead me to the right OS. But somehow, there was still a mishap. In an imperfect world, I guess there will always be the potential for mistakes and failures. Our trust and faith in our Creator sustains us. :prayer:
 
In an imperfect world, I guess there will always be the potential for mistakes and failures. Our trust and faith in our Creator sustains us. :prayer:
I agree. I am also praying about who to see next, and when.
 
I also prayed for God to lead me to the right OS. But somehow, there was still a mishap.
Even though I don't understand how He makes it work yet, He allows bad things to happen to us to use it for good to those of us who love Him! I yelled and screamed at Him when He allowed me to step into that hole and fall. Not to mention the tons of tears I cried. I was on a huge pity pot. My knee was finally feeling great and I was enjoying using it, then bam!, I couldn't walk on it for 6+ weeks. I've yet to see the benefits He has brought to me from it. I might not until I reach the pearly gates! But, I believe I will see the good it brought one day!
 
I have read your thread with interest @Jockette, cringing at times ... and I am sorry you may have to start a new journey.

I find it interesting the Americans are so focused on ROMs. I was in hospital for 5 days and was on the CAM machine a couple of times ... boring! I was 80 first time and 90 second ... probably not much more than that now, 7 weeks today, perhaps 100. I am probably -5 straightening. It has never been queried since, only the comment how well my leg was seated on the wheelchair feet and that I could put my leg up onto the examining table from a seated position in the wheelchair.

My Surgeon visited me every day in hospital, generally chatting and asking how I felt, spending 10 or 15 minutes with me. I have seen him twice since discharge and see him again on 27 June. He sometimes has a nurse with him (often hunky males here)! On my last visit he gave me more exercises to straighten my leg, physically showing me and my husband in his office, quite cute him standing on one leg pulling his leg up toward his bum. He always calls me by my first name ans shakes hands on arrival and departure. !Maybe some American Surgeons need to come to Europe to learn some bedside manners.

I digress but want to wish you well whichever direction you choose to take.
 
@Izabel, I enjoyed reading your post about the great bedside manner and care you got from your surgeon, and are still getting. Your surgery was three days after my last surgery.
Your range of motion seems pretty good, mine is nowhere near that kind of bend. About 3° lacking in extension, and probably 80° of flexion. It is true, that the surgeons and PT here or it seems like all of them, really really push range of motion and bending early Jan. I can't bend my knee when it is swollen and hurts that much. I will just have to work on it when it heals a lot more.
I am curious as to if you and your country have socialized medicine. We don't here, and I am fine with that, but the goal I am sure many times is to get as much done in as little time as possible, just to increase income. So that could be why surgeons here don't spend that kind of time with patients. And most of us in the US here, are only in the hospital for two days. I honestly feel that is plenty, because at home you can be more comfortable and get better sleep maybe.
Interesting to hear about the differences you described.
 
@sistersinhim, how long after your surgery before you had that accident of falling in the hole.?
I'm sure it was horrid and especially if you couldn't even walk on it for six weeks, that sounds pretty bad and very painful.
I kind of wondered about the Lords plans and purpose when I saw my crooked leg right after that second surgery. It's true that things are allowed in our life, but I never blame God for any of it because the enemy lives down here and bad things just happen to all kinds of people.
I agree that most of it has a purpose, whether we learnor not here, but He definitely is not the source of our distress and trouble.
I guess that is where our faith and trust come into play, and when I compare my troubles with many other peoples problems, and even Bible characters, my troubles can be minuscule compared to them.
So I just have to learn to be thankful in all circumstances like He wants me to be. But I agree it is very difficult sometimes and I sometimes pout for a while about my afflictions. :umm:
 
. He always calls me by my first name ans shakes hands on arrival and departure. !Maybe some American Surgeons need to come to Europe to learn some bedside manners.

I think bedside manner is individual. My OS always shakes my hand before and after visit, and comes in with a smile. The most interesting aspect of website is difference in processes, care, information, and medical personnel attitudes.
 
@kayow11, my fall was May 21, 2017 and my knee was 1 year old on June 2, 2017. I was non-weight baring on my broken foot/ankle for at least 6 weeks. I fell directly on my knee, and it wasn't happy. It also did not like one bit, not being able to walk on it!
 
My daughter and family have arrived :loveshwr: !

My 8 year old granddaughter was barely in the house when she quietly told me she is hoping we can sew something. :loveshwr:

After dinner we “shopped in my closet” and found fabric she likes and she’s going to make 2 different pillow cases.

She’s so cute! My little sewing buddy.
:loveshwr:
 
@Jockette, I know how wonderful grandchildren are! I have 11 of them, five girls and six boys. My oldest one just turned 21 and is married and an RN now.
I really enjoy my special times with each of them, and we try to do some fun activities together. I love it as much as they do, and over the years have done a lot of fun stuff. :roseshwr:
 
I cannot sleep. Not because of my knee, but there is a motor running in the vicinity and it’s driving me crazy. It’s not even all that loud, but this Highly Sensitive Person can hear it loud and clear. :blackcloud: I need it to stop.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom