Guest viewing is limited

PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I'm with you Jockette. I have really good flexion on my knee but constant stiffness and a lot of sensation when I extend from flexion in certain positions. No swelling that I can see.

It's all rather mysterious and frustrating at almost a year.
I'm hanging in there but somedays get a bit weepy since my first TKR is so good.

Lately I've been entertaining the thought that this may be it. Can I live with that? Guess I have no choice... And... It could be a lot worse. I feel bad even complaining at all!

I can do my aerobic dance and hike...so..

It's the constancy of having to"think" about my movement getting up or down..
Sorry for complaining. Sounds like we're in similar position.

Hope you can keep on bowling!
 
@Hopetohike
I’m having one of those weepy days myself, but I have other things going on, not just the knee, but I’m sure we all do.

My flex is not great but good enough and I truly think it can still improve.

I do wonder if my current discomfort is something I can live with. Probably not. I so wish it would get better on its own. I do not want to go through recovery again, the pain, the stress of other people’s unrealistic expectations due to not recovering “like they did”. Dr appointments, pre op tests, them taking my ibuprofen away, the whole 9 yards all over again. Right now I am only accountable to my knee, unhappy relationship as that is.
And... It could be a lot worse. I feel bad even complaining at all!
Same here!
 
I’m having one of those weepy days myself, but I have other things going on, not just the knee, but I’m sure we all do.
Sounds like you need a hug! ((((((((((Jockette)))))))))) :friends:
I do wonder if my current discomfort is something I can live with. Probably not. I so wish it would get better on its own. I do not want to go through recovery again
That's all completely understandable.
I'd feel the same way. But I'd also wonder if there was anything I could have done, to make my life more comfortable.

Perhaps another period of recovery would be a wise investment, in order to have a knee that didn't bother you as much is it does now?
 
Thank you for the hug. :console2:
Perhaps another period of recovery would be a wise investment, in order to have a knee that didn't bother you as much is it does now?
I know you’re right. And I don’t want to be someone who refuses to take advice, but I still want to wait, if I can.

I’ve seen others who have a revision within about a year, more or less, and their knee has tough time because it’s had so much done to it in a short time.

Would it be alright to give my knee more time just for general healing? I guess that would be a question for the second opinion surgeon.

It’s not like I have a super active lifestyle that is damaging my
not-quite-right knee. I bowl, usually twice a week, but that doesn’t affect my knee much. Just a little pressure on it as I lean forward to throw the ball. And it’s a very light ball, only one weight up from the child’s weight ball. So I really don’t think the bowling is bad for it.

Where IS that magic wand, I can’t find it anywhere.

(It’s probably with the revision specialist)
 
Hugs to you @Jockette. My weepy day was yesterday. [emoji22] I’m much better today since I was able to get out to my last aqua reconditioning class and lunch with a dear friend. I enjoy being out and doing things but now I have to ice and elevate and am down for the rest of the day.

I often think like you do....should I be happy with what I got? Especially after my OS’s PA talked about me managing my expectations! Then I get angry [emoji35] because neither he nor the OS said I would end up not being able to walk unassisted with a misaligned leg! I was clear at my first appointment that I wanted to be able to lead an active adult lifestyle to include hiking, working out, and playing with grandkids. None of which have I been able to do yet at 5 months out.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Hood1980 :console2:

I would not accept an obviously misaligned leg. I don’t think there’s any excuse for that.

And I admit I’m looking real close at my leg recently! I hope it’s my imagination but I wonder if there is a very slight angle to it. If so, it’s very slight. But I wonder. I’ve been tempted to post a picture.

We all have this surgery to feel better so we can do the things we want. It’s so disappointing when it doesn’t come out right. And even more disappointing when our surgeon won’t acknowledge things didn’t come out right. And even more disappointing when we can’t get a refund on all the money we paid into this surgery and have to pay it all again.

My insurance deductible was very high last year and it’s even higher this year. I have 3 years until I can go on Medicare. Do you think there’s any chance I can manage until then?
 
I’d encourage you @Jockette to post a picture to let the experts here have a look at your leg. I thought mine wasn’t straight but everyone at my therapy office thought it was fine. It really was starting me to question myself. That it was just me not able to learn how to walk. I remember reading lots of bonesmarties recovery stories such as @Susie Shoes who thought their new knees were strong from the first time they stood on them. That was never me. Mine never felt right. I’d encourage you to at least see what your options are and not to wait 3 years until you are in Medicare.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I’d encourage you to at least see what your options are and not to wait 3 years until you are in Medicare.
Perhaps another period of recovery would be a wise investment, in order to have a knee that didn't bother you as much is it does now?
Thank you both for those encouraging words! :console2:
 
I have 3 years until I can go on Medicare. Do you think there’s any chance I can manage until then?
Only you can make that decision. If it were affecting my life, I'd try and get it fixed. But, if not, and you think it's not that bad, then why chance it?
 
Lately I've been entertaining the thought that this may be it. Can I live with that? Guess I have no choice... And... It could be a lot worse. I feel bad even complaining at all!
I think we all know of someone out there who has more serious medical problems than we do, but our problems are serious to us...
 
Just because something could be a lot worse doesn't mean it isn't bad enough to do something about. It's a very difficult and personal decision. We all can put up with different amounts and types of disability. You aren't going to do yourself any harm from waiting, I suppose, but if the situation doesn't get better you have an important decision to make. :console2:
 
I just caught up on your thread. I'm so sorry you are having more pain! I hope you find that magic wand soon. And prayers for wisdom to know where to go from here. I am apprehensive about having my second knee done since I still do have pain in my first knee and can't always walk so great and my bend is still unimpressive. But after scheduling the surgery, I had a great sense of peace.
 
I just caught up with your thread @Jockette. Your visit with your family sounded awesome. Its a tough decision you have. I think you'll know when its time. On the other hand, I am a great believer in getting clarity on a situation, so I can have the information. You have a lot of questions and may get some help in getting answers if you get your second and third opinions. And really, getting the opinions does not mean you actually then have to do anything. You can take your sweet time with the next step. I just love your smiling photo - it feels so welcoming whenever I see it.
 
I survived my teeth cleaning today. No cavities or any other work suggested.
No mention of my knee (I wore capris that covered the scar so it would not invite conversation) (and I already had the premedication discussion with them and chose this office because they don’t believe it’s necessary)

nothing but a normal appointment. :loveshwr:

And my knee enjoyed being somewhat elevated on their very comfortable dental chair!

I came home the back way along a lovely country road. Love my new car!!!
 
Today’s bowling scores: 123, 90, and 125.

But my elbow is starting to hurt when I throw the ball. What’s up with that? I don’t want to lose my bowling. :bawl:

My ball is only 8 pounds. The next step down is 6, and it’s for kids, with teeny tiny finger holes, so I can’t even try it out. I bought my own ball because it was hard to find an 8 pound one with big enough finger holes. Bowling balls are not cheap!
 
@Josephine What are some things that can go wrong with a lateral release done during a Patellofemoral replacement?
 
The stability and balance of the ligaments in the knee might be affected. That's all I can think of.
 
But my elbow is starting to hurt when I throw the ball. What’s up with that? I don’t want to lose my bowling.

Maybe it's elbow tendinitis or bursitis? I developed it in my left elbow when I used it a lot during recovery to help me get up from my low, spongy sofa. :gaah: At one point it hurt enough for me to ice it instead of my knees. :heehee: Anyway, what helped was to rest it. I stopped pushing with it for a while (thank the Lord for right elbows) and it got better. You might try not bowling for a week, or just tough it out until your season ends. Or ice. The ice helped. :console2:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom