Guest viewing is limited

PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I will not be returning to the surgeon who did my surgery.
 
I can't blame you. I pray you find the one you are supposed to have!
 
We had storms come through Sat evening and more rain yesterday and storms are predicted every day for the next week or so. That could be why my knee feels worse than usual today.
 
How did your knee handle the storms like night? My foot/ankle did really well!
 
My knee was bad all around yesterday. I had a little melt down last evening. We got very little rain last evening, but storms are predicted all week. Yippee.

I shopped at super Walmart this morning and my knee hurt a bit by the time I got home. I didn’t check the time but I was probably there about an hour.

It’s not excruciating, I can still walk ok, but this just can’t be right. It feels like the implant has slid over and down to that lateral spot. I know that’s impossible but that’s what it feels like. That “ hunk of wood feeling” has changed, but it’s the location of my discomfort.

My implant is only on my femur, and front and center. I don’t understand what can cause all this discomfort on the lateral side of my knee, and below. The implant is nowhere near the place of discomfort.

I’m thinking of an appointment for a second opinion this summer. I probably can’t schedule one any sooner.

I really, really don’t want to do this again. :bawl:
 
I really, really don’t want to do this again.
Boy, do I understand that! This surgery is no picnic. But, to have a much better knee would be worth it. You might want to go ahead and try and schedule a second opinion. It'd probably take you til summer to even get in to see him. It took me 2 months to get in to see my normal OS.

It feels like the implant has slid over and down to that lateral spot.
Remember, you had a lateral release. Maybe that is the cause of your discomfort. My medial release hurt me many months longer than other areas.
 
Remember, you had a lateral release. Maybe that is the cause of your discomfort. My medial release hurt me many months longer than other areas.
I thought of that, but 14 months?
 
I think you should get a second opinion if only for an unbiased opinion on the actual state of your knee. It won’t necessarily mean you have to through another surgery. Though if it did, and the surgery relieved your pain...

You’re in a rough place. It’s hardest of all to have no answers.
 
I think you should get a second opinion if only for an unbiased opinion on the actual state of your knee
I agree, I’d like to know what’s going on. Sometimes it’s just so frustrating.

If possible, I love to hold off on another surgery until I reach Medicare age, but that’s 3 years away. What are the chances of that.
 
I think 14 months is too long for you to still have that pain. Mine hung on for about 9 months. After that it started easing up. Now, there's no pain at all on the medial side.
 
@Jockette. I’m sorry to hear you are having so much pain, but wanted to add that it is taking me over 2 months to get into to see a surgeon at Georgetown for a second opinion. Others have not returned my call. I do need to get back on it since being away, but there are significantly fewer surgeons that perform revisions, hence longer wait times. [emoji53]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I expect it will be quite a wait. My pain is manageable so I’m not in a hurry, but I’m discouraged enough to start looking into the second opinion.

I also wonder if I’ll actually see the surgeon or have to start with his PA, like I did with the office of the surgeon who did my surgery.

Thanks for checking in with me. I watch for your posts, too, to see how things go for you.
 
Curious, you have to see a PA first instead of the OS? I read all your thread what a journey you had, possibly not over yet. Feel for you.
 
My first visit to my “current” surgeon’s office was with his PA. I saw her several times, she ordered the MRI, gave me the gel shot, and scheduled my surgery. I did not have an appointment with my surgeon until a month before surgery.

Post surgery, I only saw the surgeon and he took X-rays at every visit and measured ROM and told me to do things Bonesmart said not to.

So I just wonder if it will go something like that at a second opinion surgeon. I would hope not, as I don’t think in the case of a second opinion that a PA has the knowledge to advise me.

I thought all was coming along fine the first few months of my recovery. Then in July it all went downhill. It all started with a weekend visit out of town . I’ve never been the same since. That’s another thing I wish I hadn’t done, I wish I’d cancelled that weekend when I remembered their low toilets that morning I left. Actually it started before that weekend, at my 18 week check up when my surgeon really hurt me when he measured, that was the Tuesday before.

Oh well. Thanks for letting me rant.
 
Last edited:
I also wonder if I’ll actually see the surgeon or have to start with his PA, like I did with the office of the surgeon who did my surgery.
I don't understand this having to see a PA. If you're paying to see the surgeon, you should see the surgeon.
I understand a surgeon having a PA to do some of his routine work, but being seen by a PA would be a real put-off for me.
 
Celle, I was thinking the exact thing. My OS does not even have a PA. Jockette, if and when you see a revision OS, and his PA is who greets you, I suggest you “ run” out of that office. Ranting is good for you, it lets your frustration out.
 
So sorry you are continuing to have all this difficulty, @Jockette. You certainly do not deserve it, well no one would. But you have tried so many different ways and have worked on being patient and letting things play out. If it were me, I would just get an appointment set up, which would then release my energy so that I wouldn't have the nagging "should I or shouldn't I" thing going on. (You could always cancel the appointment if as you get closer in time it doesn't feel right.) You've got all your X-rays and reports, so really your only footwork at this point is to make the appointment. And I agree that the PA is not who I would want to spend my first visit talking to. Neither of my doctors, my first potential OS and then the one who actually became my OS, handled things that way. With my first OS, before I had reached the scheduling surgery stage, I saw the PA after the initial visit for the shots. But once the surgery stage was reached, the doc was the one I saw.

I still have difficulty with stairs at 8 months. My knees are so cute, they spread out the difficulty between them. Such funny girls. Lefty does not like going down stairs, and righty dislikes even more, going up stairs. In fact, righty causes me to have to help myself up with the handrail when I go up the stairs after my walk. It really bothers me that this is still happening at 8 months, especially when I do what we shouldn't do, and that is compare myself to what I read about others' recoveries - lol.

Whatever you decide Jockette, we are here for you. You are so helpful and kind to everyone else on this site. Keep us in the loop every step of the way. Hugs.
 
@Mutti3 I will ask when I call to make the appointment who I will be seeing.

I knew I’d be seeing a PA when I started with my current surgeon. At my first appointment I didn’t know surgery was in my future. I made the appointment to look into why my knees hurt. I think under those circumstances everyone starts with the PA in this office.
 
I've only seen my surgeon's PA once, at the two week appointment for X-rays and an "is everything okay" check in. Every other time, I saw the surgeon, including the first appointment. I was interviewing surgeons at the time, so not seeing him would have crossed him off my list! But then I did tell them I knew I was looking for replacing the knees. I knew why mine hurt.

When you look for a revision surgeon, you are looking to have surgery for sure, so I would expect you'd see the surgeon.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom