PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

@Izabel, I enjoyed reading your post about the great bedside manner and care you got from your surgeon, and are still getting. Your surgery was three days after my last surgery.
Your range of motion seems pretty good, mine is nowhere near that kind of bend. About 3° lacking in extension, and probably 80° of flexion.
I am curious as to if you and your country have socialized medicine. We don't here, and I am fine with that, but the goal I am sure many times is to get as much done in as little time as possible, just to increase income. So that could be why surgeons here don't spend that kind of time with patients. And most of us in the US here, are only in the hospital for two days. I honestly feel that is plenty, because at home you can be more comfortable and get better sleep maybe.
Interesting to hear about the differences you described.
@kayow11 ... I apologise, my extension should be a plus not a minus! :doh:
Portugal has socialised medicine. I transferred my UK contributions to here so am no longer available for free service there. My hip was done free but my knee private for complicated reasons. When I say 'free' we have to contribute something to the system. A visit to a GP is 5 Euros, a Consultant 7,50 Euros, full blood tests 7,75 Euros. Medicine is also subsidised. Chemists/Pharmacists here can prescribe most RX drugs and have even telephoned a doctor for approval to sell such without a RX.
 
I cannot sleep. Not because of my knee, but there is a motor running in the vicinity and it’s driving me crazy
Back in the 80s when I was working a rotating shift, I found it extremely hard to sleep during the day. The sunshine was a problem so I got room darkening shades. I still couldn't sleep because of the noise. We, at work, would laugh and say we could even hear the butterflies fluttering by! Anyway, I bought a 'noise maker' machine that has different continuous sounds and that did the trick. I kept it on the white sound, which sounds like a fan blowing. I still use one every single night!

Could part of your not sleeping be that you're exciting about your family being there? I sure would be! Did you have any storms? Did your knee behave? We didn't have storms, but finally, loads of rain. The knee has had some minor pains, but otherwise, the same.
 
I am excited about the kids being here, so yes my mind was active.

I have had tinnitus for years which is quite loud but even that didn’t drown this noise out. :badspidy:

My knee was a mess by late night, so I was just frustrated all around.

We’ve just had steady rain, no storms.
 
@mlwreader I sort of have a housekeeper for the day. My daughter and her family are visiting and she’s doing some major cleaning for me! :happydance:

I feel a bit guilty, but she doesn’t mind cleaning (whereas I despise it) and I really need help.
 
@Jockette. I am having a houseguest tonight too. My 5 year old granddaughter is coming to spend the night. She invited herself and I’m thrilled. She is anxious to try out my new day bed in my office. It intrigues her because it has a raised railing on three sides so it feels cozy to her. I expect she will be joining me in my bed at some point tonight however. We’ll see how it goes. Should be fun!
 
Yes! Please let them help and clean all they want! I’ve considered hiring someone come in to clean, but feel I’d have to clean before I could let them come in! we’ve been having the same storms as you all week and I’ve been feeling more knee pain and now back pain than usual.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
My daughter did a nice job cleaning for me. I really appreciate it!

The grandchildren are young, so their bikes are small enough to fit in their mini van, so they always bring them. They were out riding in the cul de sac across the street. My over 6’, 34 year old son was here also, and he has a small bike that folds up that he keeps in his car, so he got it out and rode with them. They were thrilled and amazed to watch Uncle J fold it up when they were done riding! Good times!
 
What a joy to read your posts and how much fun all of you all are having! To top that off, a clean house. Now, that's a blessing, too!
 
We went bowling this morning, too! I had my highest score since surgery! My scores today were 91, 154 and 132. My son in law asked what my secret was, I said “every ball is a surprise!” :rotfl:
 
Last edited:
Well, they are on their way home today. It’s an anticlimactic day.

It’s usually a noisy visit. They are 8, 6, and 4, and the two younger ones are very active boys. They went to Target on Friday just to go someplace and walk (?) around and came home with 2 new games. One is Chutes and Ladders, a fairly quiet game, and the other is a very noisy Hungry Hipos game. :yikes:
I’m sure my entire normally quiet 55+ community heard them playing it! :rotfl:

But they are good kids, my daughter and son in law are excellent parents, so it’s always a nice visit.
 
@Jockette. Those are some impressive bowling scores and I am in awe as always! I’m sorry you are having to through this again, but happy to hav you with me on this journey. I’m sure we can count on @kayow11 and other bonesmarties to help arm us with the questions we need to ask as we start this process over again.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Thanks, @Hood1980 I was really excited with those 2 higher scores! And, I got a “tweener” as I call it, a split with just the width of the ball between 2 pins. I aimed for the middle and got it! :dancy:
Unfortunately no one else saw it. :blackcloud:

My 4 year old grandson was the only one of the kids that got a strike. His throws were hysterical, the ball zigzagging down the lane and bumping off the bumper guards to end in a strike! He was so excited. The other kids both got spares at least once. We had a good time and all did 3 games.
 
Last edited:
@Celle Since we all agree that something is wrong with my knee would it be a good or a bad idea to start walking more?
 
If walking doesn't make it hurt more, then you could try walking further. If it does hurt more, then don't increase the amount you walk. I think it's a case of "listen to the knee."
 
Yesterday when I bowled at one point my knee hurt when I threw the ball and as I walked away from the throw line, it buckled a little bit. Not bad but enough to worry me. It’s happened a few times before.

I’m going to call my insurance and make sure I can see someone in another state, and if my first 2 choices are in my network.
 
Jockette, I think you are making a good decision to start the 2nd opinion process just in case you need to go that route.

It sound like you had a great weekend! Now, it's rest and recoup time.
 
Finding a surgeon can take a while what with scheduling an appointment, doing the visit, evaluating what you learn. Getting started makes sense and you won't be under any pressure.

Those are great bowling scores!
 
Guess what! In spite of what I now consider a decline in my knee situation, it really is bending better. How can that be?

I went to get my hair cut this morning and part way through the cut I realized I had both feet up on the foot rest of the chair and my knee was comfortable. It must have also been just the right angle as my leg is very particular about that

So how can I improve in one area and decline in another? My knee was not comfortable bowling yesterday, mostly walking to and from the throw line. I really hope I don’t have to stop bowling. I just had my ball redrilled and yesterday was the first time we used our summer pass. The summer pass is a one time fee of $35 and we can bowl 3 games every day until Labor Day. We don’t go every day, but could if we wanted to. It’s a steal! This is the third summer they’ve done the pass.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom