Ankle My bad ankle

Paula save that money from the scooter. I hope the three weeks can go by quickly for you.
 
I sent it back. It's my wheelchair and walker and me. We have become good friends! BTW, my PA said the OS said I could ride my recumbent bike very gently. But, I don't have the nerve to try!
 
Don't start using the recumbent bike until you are certain you can do it without any trips or accidents, Paula.
It's better to be cautious.
Remember that your knee won't regress with the extra rest. It may be a little stiff at first, but it will soon get over that.
 
Ladies, I haven't had the nerve to try the bike yet. It will be only 2 weeks tomorrow afternoon, so I'm going to wait at couple of more weeks. I'm doing heel slides to try and work out the soreness in my knee.
 
Remember, I didn't bend for a whole month, so it may be stiff or sore when you're allowed to bear weight, but it'll come back.
 
At least I can bend it! I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm just not used to having pain in it.
 
Paula, when I worked on the mountain as a hiking guide, I lost my footing on a scree field and down I went. My leg hurt ALOT, but a pt came over and looked at it and said it was sprained. I stayed at work for three hours, but finally had to go home. On the way, I stopped by the hospital to see if it was sprained. They took an xray and told me that I had a spiral break in my fibulua. Then, they looked at me and told me that they did not do anything for a fibula break, the muscles around it would hold it in place.

Wow, I was surprised. Then, I had to limp out to my car and drive home. When I got home, my boss called and they really needed me the next day---but they would excuse me from the hiking part. I just had to bike in to the tent that we used to jump off the trip and help organize the guests. So, I drove there, rode my bike to the tent (3 miles) and spent the day standing up, organizing guests. By the end of the day, my leg really hurt.

But we were short on guides, so I took the next day off and then went back to work. Bike in to the tent, then lead a two mile hike to a suspended walk way and then walk over the walkway--one mile at 80 feet up. Then, back to the tent and then lead the bikes up a hill to the parking lot, then drive home.

My leg really hurt for a week or so---I only had tylenol for it. On about the 10th day, I ran into the emergency room doctor or the hiking trail. he was aghast and said, you have a broken leg what are you doing here? I looked at him and said, you told me that they don't do anything for a fibula break. He said, Yes, but I expected you to stay home for a month while it healed. But, as i pointed out, he never said that.! he had me stop by the hospital and they gave me a walking boot, which did help with the hiking, but I had to take it off to ride the bike!!

I still laugh when I think of that doctor's face!!! I only missed one day of work!! but, you do have more breaks than I had!! I don't advocate copying me!
 
Kelly, how in this world did you do that?!! You're one tough cookie! Do you have any lasting problems with your ankle now? I have Oxy. that I take one a day. Mid day seems to be the worse, especially if I haven't elevated in a while. I'd like to be able to hike, but I'm trying to follow my OS's orders to the T. I want this thing healed right! Come on 4 more weeks! Maybe then I can start some weigh-bearing. I expect it to be painful. But, heck, I've had a tkr, what's a little ankle rehab!

I woke up with sciatica on my injured leg and foot. It's really aggravating. But, I still made it to Sunday School and church! And then Marilyn took me shopping, where I used the motorized card. Tonight, the sciatica is really kicking up. I have some OTC sciatica meds that I'm taking. I expect tomorrow to be much better.

It's still a trip getting up and down the 5 steps we have, especially back up. The ramps came, but they're pretty steep. I can comfortably use 1 out of 4, so far. I need to get someone to make some modifications. The first night we set up one of the ramps, Marilyn and I wanted to try it out with me in the wheelchair. Now, talking about two Keystone Cops!!! I had to hold on to the hand wheels as hard as I could to try and slow me down and Marilyn was holding on to the front of the chair. It wanted to go over the edge of the ramp, but we finally got me and the chair on the floor. The tire came off of a front wheel. Marilyn was able to pry it back on with two screw drivers. So now the chair is operational again. And I look at that ramp we have to get the chair and me back up. Oh boy, not good! Marilyn gets a running start, we hit the edge of the ramp, and my injured foot jams right into the ramp! I'm yelling OUCH and Marilyn yelling that she couldn't stop. I'm pumping the wheels as hard as I can and she's putting all she has into getting this dead weight back into the house! We finally made it. Both of us were out of breath and once we caught it, we looked at each other and busted out laughing! The next night when she came over she asked if I'd been down the ramp and I told her, sure!
 
That ramp sounds downright dangerous, Paula! It definitely needs to be made less steep. Please don't use it until it's safer.
 
Oh no, I won't! It was just so funny after it was over with! It's still up the steps on my butt!
 
@KarriB, I just had to tell you that I started The Nightingale a few nights ago and I can hardly put it down. It was an excellent suggestion. Thank you.
 
I can't believe how good Amazon has been to me. I received an email stating that they received the motorized scooter back and refunded me the full amount! They did the same with the knee scooter. I expected to be charged at least for the shipping! I'm not trying to push Amazon on anyone, I'm just thrilled that I got a full refund and wanted to share the good news!

I also went on google last night and learned I had set up my crutches way too tall for me. No wonder I was unstable. I still won't be using them though because I can't carry anything while walking with them. But, it's nice to know that I can use them now if I absolutely have to!
 
My ankle pain has lessened quite a bit. Just a few twinges on the fibula where its split in two places. Now, I'm getting some complaints from my tendons and muscles around there. The broken 2nd and 3rd foot bones are pain free right now! I expect them to rear their ugly heads when I am blessed to be able to walk again.

My worse pains are the side effects of non weight bearing on this right foot. I use the wheelchair where I can, but have to use the walker to hop to places it can't go. This has thrown my body out of alignment. Both hips hurt, my shoulders, my back, and shin splints on the left leg. If I have 4 more weeks of this I just might go bunkers! And now I itch under this cast! I have a ruler I'm using to get to some of them, but others I can get to. What a test this is. I wonder what God is trying to tell me! He has my attention!
 
Yes, indeed! I got my venting out! Now, I'm all better!
 
Back
Top Bottom