Ankle My bad ankle

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
This morning after church I stepped into a hole, turning my ankle really badly and falling on my new knee. I know the implant is pretty indestructible, so I'm icing my knee now, and not worrying too much about it. The thing that's really bad is my foot and ankle. I can put no weight on it at all without extreme pain and it constantly aches. And not just my ankle. Pain shoots down my foot and it's pinker than the other one. When I put it down it turns much darker. I am icing my ankle, too. There is little swelling right now. Does this sound like a sprain only, or could it be a break? I did fracture the tibia where it connects to the ankle, a few years ago, if that makes any difference. This hurts 10 times more than that.

I have an brace from my previous fracture. Should I try to wear that?

Ouch. I'd head to urgent care to get it looked at.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, Paula. HUGS!

I agree with kneeper - head to A&E or Urgent Care and have it examined and X-Rayed. If it's broken, it will have to be fixed. If it's a sprain,, rest, ice and elevate.

I agree. Time for an xray to see what's going on. If it's just a sprain, that will ease your mind. And if it is a fracture or break, you need to know that now so you can be properly treated for it.

I'm so sorry to hear about your fall! Please take good care of yourself. You were wise to start icing right away.

X-ray time I am afraid! Please keep us updated.

It's broken in two places displaced. we were supposed to go camping this week. Boohoo.

They put a temporary cast on it until I can get to a OS. I can have no weight bearing on it at all. This is really difficult. My left knee is barely strong enough to carry me without the right one and it's impossible to hop on it. I had to go up my steps on my butt and then pull myself backwards into my recliner. I'm extremely unsteady on crutches since I have never used them. I always used my rolling walker. This is really a test God has given me.

Oh, I am sorry, Paula!

I hope they'll put your leg into plaster, which should immobilize it and decrease some of your pain.

Hopefully a bit or cast will help with weight bearing. I'm sorry this happened. I've been trying to keep my eyes/head up while walking, I'm rethinking that now.

That is exactly my problem. I watched my feet for over 20 years and have been trying to look up when I walk. Then this happened. I bet I'm gonna be watching my feet again!

A question for those of you that know a lot more than I do...how important is non weight-bearing? Can I put my foot on the floor to help steady myself? I'm having a really hard time getting around. Just hopping with my walker about 15 feet and back is exhausting. How can I take care of my cats? I can't even make it to my bedroom. Also, is it normal for my foot to have pains and hurt just wiggling my toes?

The pain you're describing would be consistent with the injury you have. What did your doctor tell you about any weight bearing? I would certainly think you'd need to minimize that as much as possible. You know, they rent and sell a little scooter type thing-y that might help you if you must wait a while to see the surgeon. I think your doctor could order one over the phone from a rental company and it would be delivered to your house.

View attachment 57367

Can you get someone to come help you with the cats? Maybe someone from your church? It's the least they could do after you fell there.....:heehee:.

Thank you for the tip, @Jamie. I just ordered one from Amazon. From what I've researched, I'll be non weight-bearing for 6 to 8 weeks. This will be definitely be needed. I just worry about it hurting my knee and shin bone. That is still tender at times.

Try a pillow under your knee. We had a few teachers who had to use one of these before I retired.

Here's a soft pad to cover the part where your knee goes. It might be better than a pillow that can move around. I've seen people using these scooters and they can really get around well. It's a cool device.

I saw that pad when I ordered the scooter. If I find I need it, I'll get it Prime. I have plenty of extra pillows laying around to try at first.

It was a rough night. I slept only about 1½ hours. I had some Oxy left over that I'm taking until Marilyn can get my prescription. Oxy has always kept me awake. But, it did lower the pain!

I hope I can get in to see my doctor today!

I hope you see an orthopaedic doctor today, Paula.
Your broken bones need to be put into the correct position and then stabilized there with a proper cast. The sooner you can have that done, the better, because once that's done, you should have less pain. :loveshwr: :friends:

I have an appointment tomorrow morning at 9:40. I was hoping to get in today, but nothing was available. At least I'll know what to expect. I hate this not knowing!

Did they know you have a suspected broken bone?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom