Ankle My bad ankle

Paula, that sounds terrible. I guess the council on Aging will either help or tell you where to get help. They werre so helpful with my mom and dad. I would try them first. This is really a struggle for you, I wish I could help!! Why don't you move to Montana? Most of the men in my church are quite young and several are handy!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The knee scooter won't work. The few times I tried it yesterday. with my knee on it, has left my knee very angry. I don't know if it's because I don't have a kneecap, not completely healed from my tkr, or from the fall on it Sunday, but I can't use it. Amazon will give me a full refund on it! :yahoo:

The good news is, if my specialist will write me a prescription for a motorized scooter, Medicare will pay for one and my Medigap will pick up the rest. :prayer: If I'm unable to put my weight on my foot for 6-8 weeks, I will definitely need one. There are too many places in this house I can't get to with my wheelchair. I can't even get in my bedroom or bathroom!

We had storms run through last night and foot gave me a fit. Sleep was fitful so today I'm extra tired. But, Tramadol is all I need today! I'm off of Oxy during the day. Yippee! Now, maybe the Miralax will work! :fingersx:
 
Oh Paula, what a good idea to get a little scooter. I see them all the time at art fairs. It will give you a sense of mobility and I think some of them are quite small and so you can get around in your house with one.
 
I hope you can get your scooter. That would be great. If you can't get it paid for you can call the Salvation Army to see if they have one. Sometimes people donate items like that after they are no longer needed.

I hope the Miralax starts working for you. It took me a few doses to get things moving for me.
 
I will probably need another time-released Oxy tonight, but maybe just Tylenol tomorrow. My doctor's PA never called me back, so I assume he wouldn't write a prescription for a scooter, so I'll search for one.
 
You can try renting a scooter which should be less money,or possibly try Craig's List.
 
Craigs List has none in my area. To rent one is over $150 a week. I can buy a new one for under $550 from Amazon. That would end up being much cheaper. I'm having my OS check on my prescription. I would think with my weak left knee that it shouldn't be a problem. I guess I'll see!
 
I agree. Just because the PA failed to call you back doesn't mean anything, and you need something if the knee scooter doesn't work for you. I can't imagine using one myself. :)
 
I agree---call the office, don't let them blow you off like that!!! $500 is a lot of money. There is no reason at all that they will not give you a script. I have always wondered about those scooters---you would have to have a full bend---around 120 to 130 to use one of those and you have have to be comfortable with your knee bent like that for a long time.
 
And be sure they know how unsteady you are on crutches which could lead to other problems.
 
The one I'm getting has little fenders that I can rest my feet on and straighten my legs out. I got to the point where I have to had one and if insurance pays for it, great. If not, God has always taken care of me and I know He will now with this new expense. I should get it Wednesday. By then, I should have a ramp. Marilyn says she knows how to make one, and that's this weekend's project. It will be so nice to be able to get out of the house!

You should see my toes, even they are turn black and blue! I'm really pale and the dark colors really stand out. I can't imagine what the rest of my foot looks like!

I had a painfree night last night! I've done too much today. Two loads of laundry and running the battery vacuum while sitting in the wheel chair. It is so good to get some things done! I've aggravated it a bit, but will now take a nice, needed nap!

Thank you so much for your suggestions and encouragement! You are my family!
 
Keep calling about the script. Make sure they know you can't use crutches safely, you can't maneuver your home with a regular wheelchair and you even tried the one you tried from amazon. Hopefully it will work out for you. Otherwise don't forget trying other local churches, Salvation Army stores, Goodwill stores and different county agencies. You never know if any one knows where one of then can sell or rent you one for a very low cost. I hope that you start feeling better soon.
 
I pulled out the xray CD of my foot and ankle. I have 2 breaks on the fibula, one on each side. The 2nd metatarsal bone in the foot is the 3rd break. I ordered 2 aluminum ramps from Ebay and a motorized scooter from Amazon. I found nothing to rent in the area. I was hoping I could find a used one to buy, but no such luck. But, after I'm healed, I will have them to lend to someone who needs them. My church did call and offered to build me a ramp, but after thinking about, I decided against it. They would have to attach it to the deck and house. These breaks are temporary, so I don't want a permanent ramp.

I have a friend taking me to the OS for xrays Tuesday. If the bones look like their healing OK, no surgery, if not surgery. I pray that everything's going back in place and no surgery is needed.

The pain is still low compared to what it was. My bruising is going all the way down to my toes. When I put my foot down all my toes turn darker, but as soon as I put it back up, it lightens up. Is this anything to worry about? My toes stay warm with no tingling.
 
Keep elevating your foot. There's nothing to worry about as longer as your toes are warm (equal to the other foot). It turns darker when it's down because the extra fluid goes to the lowest part of the body.

Make sure someone else tries using the scooter on the ramp. You might want to get a handy man to set it up for you.
 
Wise advice from Marian!

Even when someone else has tried it on the ramp, you will need to practice using the scooter around the house until you're familiar with its functions, before you try the ramp.
 
Good ideas, ladies. I will get Marilyn to set the ramps up, and she'll try them out before I step a foot on them! I will learn the scooter before venturing out with it.
 
I ran over myself with the scooter at Disney. It was quite a sight and the concrete floor of the hotel room did not feel great on my knee. So be careful!
 
How did you run over yourself? Was it a three wheeler or a four wheel one?
 
I wasn't on it, I was trying to park it in the room with a door/entrance at a weird angle. Then got wedged between walls and the bed. I don't remember how many wheels.
 
@KarriB, Ouch!

I have an appointment with my OS to check on my breaks. Please pray that my bones are healing correctly and that I don't have to have surgery.
 
Back
Top Bottom