Ankle My bad ankle

I'm used to a different health system, but here you would not have been sent home with unreduced fractures. They would have been dealt with at the time.

I hope your surgeon can see you today, Paula - @sistersinhim . Have you tried phoning again, saying you have two broken, displaced bones, and are in great pain?
 
I told them when I called that I have 2 broken bones. The radiologist called and said I have a bone broken in my foot and one in my ankle. She didn't mention displacement today, but the doctor did yesterday. I pray that there isn't that since the radiologist didn't say so. I have a wheelchair that I'm going to get Marilyn to get for me start using that. My good foot feels like it's getting a stress fracture now. Bummer!!!
 
how important is non weight-bearing? Can I put my foot on the floor to help steady myself?
Can you explain what a 'temporary cast' is? If it's a plaster cast, then putting your foot to the floor to steady yourself would be okay provided that's all you do. Don't bear weight on it.

If there is a break in your ankle, be warned that you may have to have surgery.
 
I'm so sorry that you have injured your ankle. OUCH! I'm glad you will see an OS first thing tomorrow. In the meantime try to ice and elevate as much as possible. That scooter looks like it is very helpful. I never was very good using crutches either. Let us know what the surgeon says about the injury. You're in my prayers that you heal quickly.
 
The temporary cast is a stiff 3"x12" stiff cloth that runs up the back of my foot and ankle. The a couple of ace bandages are wrapped around the whole foot, ankle and leg area to the knee. I can't bend my ankle, but can wiggle my toes. Thank you for you prayers and help, ladies. I'll let you know what the OS says tomorrow. I sure hope just a boot! I'm tired of surgery. I was hoping to get lefty replaced in the fall. If I do have to have surgery, it on the same foot and my new knee. Will this cause any concerns with my new knee?
 
Good luck tomorrow. I know from when I broke my wrist that it was extremely painful until I had the surgery to put the plate in. The pain improved quickly after that. Hopefully a cast will do the trick for you.
 
I saw the OS. I have a fracture that runs up, not across my right, outside ankle bone about 2.5" and another one on the right top of my foot. He said the displacement isn't severe and we decided to try to hard cast. I am to go back next week for x-rays to see how the breaks are mending. I am to have no weight on it for at least 3 weeks. I got down my steps OK, but still couldn't get back up them except on my butt. It had been raining all day and my skirt and panties got soaked. But, at least I got into the house and in my recliner! Attaching the cast was quite painful, but it's on there. I pray that I won't have to have surgery, that my bone will heal like it's supposed to! I have a prescription for hydrocodone which should help with this achy pain I'm in. Thank you all for your suggestions and your prayers! I'm trying to find someone at church who will make a temporary ramp for me. My knee scooter is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. That will help a lot, too.
 
I hope that the cast and the hydrocodone make you feel more comfortable, Paula. Rest up as well as you can now - and some elevation would probably help, too. :friends:
 
I'm elevating right now! Too bad I'd never feel the ice, so that pain-killer is out.
 
Poor Paula! I hope you mend well and soon. I work at a university and I see students zipping around with those knee scooters all the time. It seems like a lot more fun than crutches.
 
I'm looking forward to getting it. It's bound to be easier than this wheelchair! I keep bumping into things in the house. My driver's license should be revoked!
 
I'm so sorry to hear that you have broken two bones in your foot. I pray that the OS thinking that it will mend without surgery is correct. Stairs, crutches and I have never gotten along very well either! At least you were able to get back into your house. I hope the knee scooter works out well. They actually look a whole lot easier than crutches any day! You can call a your local Office of the Aging. I know they exist in NJ and PA and I think nationwide too. They can help with things like ramps. They may be able to help you if no one at your church can help. It's worth a try.
 
Marian, that is a good idea! I will google my county and see if they have anything that can help me. Thank you for the tip.
 
My nurse friends, is it normal for me to feel exhausted after being up for a few minutes? It's almost as bad as after a tkr. I'm on Oxy, so that might be it. But, I can do hardly anything without almost wearing out. I got no after care instructions or what to expect except to keep my foot off the floor. This is my first broken bone, and now it's two!
 
^I'm not a nurse, but just chatty...
When I was on oxycodone after my tkr it put me out for a nap. My guess is that the trauma of the injury and casting etc. might have taken some of the stuffing out of you for a few days too.
 
I think kneeper is right. The medication, plus the trauma, are what's making you tired. Some of your body's energy will now be going towards healing your fractures as well.

  • As for care - yes, no weight bearing.
  • Spend as much time as you can resting, with foot elevated, to try and reduce swelling. Ice your knee at the same time.
  • Wiggle your toes regularly.
  • Watch out for any nerve-related tingling. If that happens, contact your surgeon as soon as possible. Go to A&E if it's during the night.
  • Keep the cast dry, unless it's one of the new variety that can get wet on the outside. You can buy something to cover the cast while you shower (if you can get a ride to a pharmacy). Alternatively, a large plastic bag secured at the top with elastic or a strong rubber band is a temporary cover. Or strip-wash at the sink.
  • You may start to feel itchy under the cast. You can reach some of those itchy places with a ruler.
  • When the cast is finally removed, your skin could smell a bit and it will be very dry. Wash it gently and then use a gentle moisturiser.
 
Wow, Celle! Thank you so much for all that information! I bought the water-tight cover from Amazon along with the knee scooter. The scooter came today and I got it put together, but it hurts my knee a whole lot, so I'm sitting on it, for now. It will at least go into some of the areas the chair can't.

When my kneecaps were removed, the OS told me to never get on on knees, so I haven't in over 20 years. I will keep trying. I have a egg crate butt protector pillow that I have put on the seat to try and cushion the knee.
 
Paula, I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I had a broken ankle---it hurt for about a week. then, blessed relief, the pain mostly went away. I also got exhausted trying to go anywhere---If I had know that I would have to bear all my weight on my arms---I would have lost some weight first!!! Everything gets better, not worse. You will find a way to get around. Your arms will get stronger. Do you have crutches? They are good for tight places. By three weeks, the cast itself was a big nuisance!! I complained so much that they put me in a walking boot for the last three weeks--but, I had had surgery---with no plate you might remain in a cast for 6 weeks. Unfortunately it is one of those things that we seem to go through in life. is is fair? no---but we all have some kind of experience like this one. Ask friends for help with the cats. Do you have a church? We swing into action when someone needs help. Ask for help to get groceries, plan ahead carefully so that you will have what you need.

Bob was put onto Home Health when he was ill---you can ask your doc to recommend you. An OT and PT came to the house once a week along with a nurse. We also use a paid aide once a week. they charge $28 an hour here--she comes in to help Bob bathe or get dressed. She also vacums and helps with housework. she can fix a meal or two for Bob as well. I have her cook spaghetti and rice and potatoes for Bob---then he can add some chicken from the deli and make a meal. Just having an aide come in once a week has helped a lot and it is worth the money.
 
@skigirl, I do have crutches, but being unable to put my broken foot and ankle on the floor to help to balance myself, I am way too unstable to use them. My quads are weaker than normal ones because of my missing kneecaps. I figured it'd be at least 6 weeks in this cast, so am trying to find ways to do things.

I am very close to most of my church family, but the average age of our church is about 80 and a lot of the congregation is in bad heath. I need a ramp more than anything, so I can get up and down my steps. But, I don't want to ask any of them, for fear of them hurting themselves trying to help me. I have a couple of friends that have been a lot of help to me. They have been taking care of the litter, getting things I need from places that I can't get to, and other things. I appreciate them so much!

I go back next week for xrays to make sure the bones are healing in place. If not, then it's surgery. I don't want that! I'm hoping that in about 3 weeks, he'll let me at least put my foot down to help balance myself!
 
Back
Top Bottom