TKR Muscle spasm?

@Rubyroo
Thank you so much!
It takes my mom Nd off the other bits and while I am having to sit with an ice pack on my knee and legs up I might as well keep a diary and just look at the funny parts to pull from this journey..
My mum god bless her suffered a huge stroke that left her with no right side. Although her care had to be done in a care home where most of the time she had only the staff to talk too she almost never cried and I was so proud of her.
Mum saw the funny side in most things and even on Christmas day asked to wear a jumper with flashing lights and music.. just to cheer other people up .
So if I too can make other people smile a bit that can only be a good thing and I know I am my mum's Daughter.
PS I am not just sat though my husband did pass me a bowl of spuds to peel earlier!
Take care

Totally agree with Rubyroo, a good sense of humour is the best medicine one can have, keep up the wit, it's amusing us all xx

@BEWITCHED Charm, the greatest gift my British mother gave me was her unflappable sense of humor. And I too have said that I am my Mother’s Daughter. It has helped me cope through a lot of what life throws at you. I love reading your posts.

Hi everyone , this might sound like a really strange question, but I am sitting upright in a recliner during in between doing exercises using ice and putting legs elevated on a stool.
Am I ok just sitting in a bended knee sitting position for the times in between .. oh I also walk around the house a bit during the day and go upstairs at night and come down again next morning. It is just that someone just mentioned they couldn't wait to sit normally in a chair and to all intense purpose I am guessing I am as both knees are bent..
Or I move the bad knee more foreward.
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks

@BEWITCHED Charm I too enjoy your posts and your great sense of humor. I am a transplanted scouser - first to Kent and then to USA and been here 30 plus years.
So have you tried an over the counter sleep aid? You are obviously one of those people who are stimulated by Codeine type medicines as I am too. To counteract it my surgeon recommended Melatonin supplements and they worked ok but I switched my nightly dose of 1000 mg Tylenol (Paracetamol) to the Tylenol with a sleep aid and that was a game changer for sleeping.
For years I brought back Nytol 2 tabs a night version from the UK as thought it was so much better than anything over here. I only ever took 1 tablet for a very sound deep sleep with no morning after zombie effects. Just a thought. Those sleepless nights seem to last far longer than 12 hours and the lack of good sleep is not great for the healing process.
Good luck and keep your diary going!

Am I ok just sitting in a bended knee sitting position for the times in between .. oh I also walk around the house a bit during the day and go upstairs at night and come down again next morning.
It sounds like you're doing well and there's no reason to worry about sitting with your knee bent.

You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

Oh Nelly my poor Nelly I think to you I might well have a big apology to make
My bottom got so uncomfortable last night and I realised it was not just you that's been keeping me awake mine is very much a Rubens derrière because it's much more than ample rounded
It's such a shame as back in those days it might have been revered not make folks gasp and stare astounded

It's due to its size and shape and its just well sitting there behind me, I never thought to guess
that this could be indeed the cause of all my bedclothes being in such a tangled mess.

Last night i did the flicking of Nelly with my older leg underneath to get her up up straight upon the bed
I took my medication and was sat waiting for that then reach my head

That's when my bottom cheek started aching and I thought "this might keep me up all night"
So I got out yet more pillows -now how did the Egyptians stack those stones bang straight and just right?

I placed then layered more blankets on and through sheer blinking tiredness and fed up ness Decided that would have to do

One last tug up with Nelly I closed my eyes then waited with weary anticipation only to then realise........I'd forgot to use the loo!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Susie-Q I'll tell you what though believe me at 1am doing my pillow stack I wasn't laughing much!
In fact in truth the first time I got in bed I sat up moved forward caused my huge cushion to fall off the bed and I had to get out again to pick it up! So that was the first attempt.
I'm glad I make you laugh .. it's good to laugh best medicine they say.
Take care

I can relate. @hawk2go aptly named the bedtime shuffle of pillows a "cage match" and that's pretty much how it feels. Moving The Knee and The Leg around and adjusting is often a painful experience even now at 9 weeks post-op! Then once everything gets adjusted and comfortable, realizing I have to go pee!! :oyvey:It's a battle several times a night.

@BEWITCHED Charm
I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

Susie-Q Then once everything gets adjusted and comfortable, realizing I have to go pee!! :oyvey:It's a battle several times a night.

Imagine if you had a Prostrate? Enlarged one at that,lol.

Thank you for this.. I am as new to posting threads ( needles and cotton are only threads I had in my life up to now!)
Well I am on day 6 had op 7 days ago.
It's funny because I think I am frightened of the knee healing and it having not being exercised enough and thinking it's going to heal inside but not work as I haven't been able to do all the exercises.
It's such a strange concept wanting something to heal and yet having to keep moving it at the same time.
I really want it to work ( as does everyone I'm sure you don't put yourself through this for nothing!)
I am feeling tired at the min and am aware of having another two lots of exercise before bedtime!
Think it keeps me awake worrying how much am going to fit it all in!
Did anyone else on here have a total knee done Around same time as me? If so how is it going?
I had my TKR a week before yours. My wonderful anaesthetist talked me, in simple, plain English, through my options [I was all for a GA] and he promised me I wouldn't know a thing about the op if I went for a spinal block and sedation.
He was right. Wonderful surgeon and a a wonderful anaesthetist.

I was given two sheets of exercises, hourly ones [similar to long haul flight stuff] and four housrly ones. Due to the hours I had put in, in the gym, some of the four hourly ones were doable on a simple scale.
Leg lift? Forget it. I didn't even try as I knew I wouldn't be able to do it.

I have gone with my own physio for rehab as their clinic are experienced in joint replacement therapy. I have had three sessions so far and it's been a great help. The sports massage half hour was also a help with lymphatic drainage. As a carer, I am throwing everything I can at this.

Sleep.
What's that? :loll:

Pain meds.
I am confused by some of the names as I think UK meds seem to be different from US ones. I was on 2 codeine phosphate [30mg ea] and two paracetamol, four times a day with blood thinners for two weeks. I am also on 500mg Naproxen [and Omeprazole to counter that] a day.

As of yesterday, I am down to codeine and paracetamol twice a day [am and before bed] but still keep up the Naproxen. I aim to cut out the codeine asap.

I worry, no matter how well I'm told I'm doing. I think it's a natural reaction. The lovely folk on here and my physio are my confidence boosters and boy, I need it.

So from a veteran of eight days ahead of you...don't worry [she says, being worrywort herself!].

@Scaredycat10
Hi your physo sounds very intense.i too am struggling with the leg lifts I try and do one st of three in a morning two afternoon and walks around the house in between. I do don on the old plastic bag and do foot slides as extras when I want too.

But we just have an excersise leaflet and it just says split them up.
I was on 60mg codeine X 2 paracetamol and morphine. Oh and an anticoagulation med.
The meds have run out now ( I didn't use the morphine as it didn't help really as it's just sleep I need more than pain meds)

I am still taking my own non prescription codeine and paracetamol.

Our hospitals only give the meds for 10 days so that's why I am using my over own which I was given for knee pain before my surgery.

I wish I had been told about the sedation in more detail really as I had the spinal but was awake.
I could hear everything.. lucky the surgical team were discussing meals so took my mind off noises.
The pain when I came down from the anaesthetic was soo bad I had a funny turn and had to be monitored for a bit.

My pain relief wasn't high enough and it made that part a bad experience because I do think it could have perhaps been managed better (we differ in how much our pain levels are and I suspected I had a low pain threshold and did actually mention this to the Consultant before hand).

Luckily all the staff who were short handed as per usual in our NHS were lovely and I got through it. Our NHS and care staff work so hard and many are devastated that they can't give patients the proper care as they are constantly so short staffed.

Anyway you seem to be working really hard on your recovery and I hope it all pays off for you keep it up

@Scaredycat10 oh I was on ibuprofen which is a anti inflammatory but I have gastric problems and my stomach couldn't tolerate it. So I said no to taking it anymore. It was a shame as it did help with the pain in the first two days.

For now, the staff are burnt out due to Covid and it still causing problems in various ways as staff are off Ill too. I had a fantastic lovely man for my surgery who is brilliant at what he does. But without his nurses and teams under him, it just doesn't hold up properly. So what should be an experience that is well managed from start to finish you just know that there will be some poor staff running themselves ragged because they have no support.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Scaredycat10
Hi your physo sounds very intense.
No. The physio isn't intense at all. The opposite in fact. Apart from the static bike which was a bit of a stretch, it's just regular loosening of stiff tendons, constant advice and careful monitoring. I will try gentle abb and adductor machines tomorrow, for my own interest.
I had Oramorph twice whilst in hospital but didn't need any more and my GP has given me a further prescription of codeine phosphate in addition to the two week supply I came home from hospital with.
I didn't take many painkillers before the op and have been told I have a very high pain threshold. That might be so but it doesn't take away the fact it's going to be a long haul to a semblance of normality.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back