THR Muckingabout's THR Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The odd glass surely can do no harm...isn't it known to have some health benefits! I liked being able to have a glass of wine early on as I wasn't driving and for once I could indulge on occasion. A nice glass of red....

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Wine is okay....just don't mix it with Tylenol!
 
@muckingabout... We are back to any excuse for a gathering! I don't think I ever marked 6 months to St Patrick day!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
I didn't want to take Tylenol because I wasn't in pain

I have nothing against a glass (or two) of wine, don't get me wrong. However, I remember reading somewhere here a post by Josephine that tightness, aching, etc., etc. were all forms of pain. I can't quote her because I don't remember whose thread I saw it on. I only share this because I think it helped me understand some of the feelings I am having. So nice you are having a few outings ~ nothing better for the soul when you have been down & out for a while :)
 
Just got back from my six week checkup.

Very pleased with my progress. I am off most 90 degree restrictions. Still have to watch twisting till my next visit in two months, but I can go back to the gym and yoga, touch my toes, get down on the floor all that fun stuff. Slowly and gradually of course.

Continued PT is at my discretion. Maybe another month tops. I have a bit of a limp if I don't concentrate and is like to work on my range of motion.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@muckingabout Awesome news and release of restrictions. Super happy for you and your new abilities. Look forward to future reports of new adventures. Enjoy your Friday and weekend!
 
Jealous of your "no restrictions" okay. I've got another month of mine. Just as well. I went shoe shopping this morning and do fine trying on sandals that slip on but couldn't begin to get into boots. Ugh!!

Let me know how your yoga goes. I ran into my instructor last week at the hair salon and she wasn't sure how long I should wait to start back--she thought maybe a couple more months.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@muckingabout @beachgal I am curious about the yoga too. So far my OS is slow to warm up to yoga, he is a very conservative about some restrictions. I feel he is thinking about the wrong kind of yoga that has a far greater impact on the hip. Beachgal, I am in a similar place with my/your restrictions, still some restrictions in place even though I feel good. I think I need to ask some follow up questions ;) Please keep us posted about your yoga findings Muckingabout :)
 
I would settle for downward dog.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@muckingabout Congratulations on a great 6 week check! I know my walk/gait is not good at all if I am just trying to get to the washroom or something and not concentrating. I often to stop and get focused to get it right.
 
Hi @muckingabout - That's all great news about your OS visit...you must be so happy about it. To all, I was wondering about how the OS's make decisions about restrictions...does the Dr. decide from xrays and/or phys. exam, stretching your legs, etc. Did he say anything about why easing or keeping restrictions? I have my follow up next week...so i guess i'll find out then as well. Just curious.
 
@toohip From the little I have learned I think some factors are approach, type of prosthetic and whether it is cemented or not. Personal opinion and beliefs must come into it as well. I also have noted the vast differences different hippies have, some of which seem to geographic as well.
 
Restrictions (or lack of restrictions) are part of each surgeon's protocol. They establish them based on their training with the particular approach they use for the hip replacement. It's all about safeguarding the new hip from motions that could result in dislocation or healing issues. It takes some time for the soft tissue surrounding the hip joint to strengthen and provide the support needed for a good strong hip.
 
He still cautions about twisting motions, he's just freeing me from straight line 90 degrees. He didn't X-ray this time, or manipulate my leg. He went mostly by how I was feeling, how well I was able to move and that I wasn't in any pain. I am both cemented and screwed.
 
It sounds like you are progressing well. You only get one chance at your recovery, so you want to err on the side of caution as you move to more and more activity. Sounds like you have a good surgeon on your side.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom