THR Muckingabout's THR Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@muckingabout About the knee pillow. I am not sure if it is the same one you speak of, but I have a little shaped pillow for knees. Not sure where my wife got it, but it is a bit too soft for me personally. When between my knees, it squishes down very easy and ends up not being much of the support I would like. Perhaps there are firmer versions. I have mostly used it to separate my legs will sleeping on my back. I am just starting to test side sleeping. I end up only being that way for an hour or so, and then rotate back to my back. Oh, no. I hope that is not my new habit. Glad to also see your sense of humor again while I am getting caught up
 
@muckingabout @beachgal about your Xanax suggestion. I mentioned maybe it being helpful to the OS at my 5 week exam. He almost snickered and said to talk to my GP about that. I am sleeping pretty well on most days, I still take a very small amount of Melatonin and that zonks me out for the most part. With the exception of letting the dog out at night, I tend to get 7 hours now(minus bathroom breaks). Like @beachgal, I do have a degree of stress relating work that can affect my sleep, but that was happening before the hip recovery. I sometimes consider that a downside of being self-employed
 
Hey, y'all!! Trying to finish up a conference call when I'd really just like a glass of wine and hanging out with my BS buds!!

Love the way my hair feels after salon visit! Been with my gal for 20 years. She knows me well and cried when I waltzed in today! She texted me every other day while I was away. So has been my week. Everyone is so happy to see me moving around and glad I'm home. Back to hair. It's just hair. It grows back. I don't fret over cut. Kinda particular about color but she nails it. Just nice to be out but I still recall that lovely shampoo at 11 days from surgery when I was grasping for normalcy. There will never be another better shampoo. Haha

Hubby is walking the bridge with his daughter tonight as I gather dinner. He's missed seeing her while caring for me three hours away. Glad for him. I brought dog home with me for the first time. He's amazing. Hubby was worried about him pulling me or getting away from me and, gentleman that he is, he climbed stairs behind me at a slow pace. What a great therapy dog. So blessed to have him in our lives. Oh , and stairs were a bit easier tonight.

Hubby on his way home now. Reunion meeting moving forward with more attendees than ever and I'm happy that I'm home and still much invested in each of your recoveries!!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I went out last night to volleyball with my husband. Didn't really think throught the whole crowded bar, walking on sand, wooden benches thing, but it went okay. My goal for the next week is to reduce my dependence on the cane. I walk around the house without it. I need to do more outside.
 
@muckingabout So a bar with a sand volleyball 'court'? Outdoor or indoor? Does your husband play? I am glad you gave it a 'went okay' grade even with the sand and crowds. Good challenges to maybe look back on since you did not do anything you regret. I like your goals for the week, cheering for you to hit them. You sound to be doing well, you are right around your 5 week mark, correct? Is volleyball one of your activity goals you want to return to? You might have stated it before, but what activity are you most looking forward to?
 
@muckingabout, @grnplatebrd, hubby and I had our own little adventure last night but it didn't involve volleyball...we had a wonderful dinner at our favorite restaurant on the beach with several close friends who we have not seen since a few months before surgery. It was glorious! I'll have to say that everyone wanted to see me walk! What entertainment...ugh...but it was a delicious piece of the life puzzle that has been missing in our lives for a while.

We also have a few bars that host volleyball, mostly on the beach or Back Bay...they have outdoor bars and pub-type tables and usually very good food. Now that the fall is approaching, there will be more activities there as it's just too hot in the summer. Love that you enjoyed an outing and also that you were brave to walk in the sand, etc. My cane has been in the trunk of my car for 10 days now. I have it just in case but haven't encountered a situation that I felt like I needed it. YAY!
 
@muckingabout @beachgal @grnplatebrd
:loveshwr: :wowspring::cheers: Look at all of you ditching your canes! Part of me wants to say "wait for me" but I am too happy for you all. I feel teary eyed when I think what you have all suffered for so long and you can see a light at the end of this tunnel and celebrate for and with you :)
 
@Carriemay60 Thank you for being happy for ditching the canes. When your body says so, it will be a great day for you as well. Different injuries, pains and paths we are all on. Be sure to give yourself plenty of respect and acknowledgment for your own pain and suffering. To me it sounds like you have endured a lot already and I enjoy all those moments when you celebrate your gains
 
Thanks all. I'm looking forward to yoga and cross country skiing and just being able to do regular things like museums and concerts without calculating the amount of walking involved.

It was funny, but friends of ours were talking about a wine tour in the fingerlakes. I was interested, but my husband said, would you be able to walk? Which is funny because I can walk further now, 5 weeks out than I could probably two years ago.

@grnplatebrd he played until he ruptured his patella tendon so he's still out. We were visiting his team.
 
Let me know about the wine tour. We may join you!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I didn't use my cane at all today except for my walk here:
[Bonesmart.org] Muckingabout's THR Recovery Thread


Where it seemed justified. It went well but my goodness that hip and thigh are tighter than a drum now. If the rest of my body was that tight is be in a size two.

I'm dying to do some 90 degree busting stretches to work out the kinks but I'll have to settle for relaxing in my bed.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sweet! But please be careful. That place where you went for a walk is just gorgeous! We have a lot of waterfalls close by but not suitable for me just yet. Today really feels like winter is on the way here :(
 
@muckingabout sorry to hear about your husbands injury. Ouch. Thumbs up to the Finger Lakes wine :) Have you ever tried any of the Niagara-the-Lake wineries? Been I while for me, be recall enjoying them.

Way to go on your walking and waterfall outing. Thanks for posting a photo too, nice to see where your hip is taking you. I hear you about wanting to do 90 degree violating stretches. Hope we all get to do those soon, I think that will help with my lower back tightness too
 
My hip/thigh muscles have gotten really tight since I've been consistently walking without my cane. Yesterday after 8 hours at my desk, PT and 2 hours chatting with friends in a coffee shop, I felt like I was having thigh labor.

I didn't want to take Tylenol because I wasn't in pain, so I had a glass of wine which really did the trick.

May not be officially sanctioned, but...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@muckingabout I hear you about some tightness. I could see how some tissue massage could come in handy right now. I feel like some of these sensations are just part of the phase we are at as our muscles get stronger again. I like your wine medication, probably easier on the system overall. If it works it works. You sound to be in a great place overall.

My wife and I now use the expression 'Surgeon Approved' when it comes to certain activities or circumstances. It is funnier depending on your surgeon's name
 
Wine may be the reason I've been off pain meds since Day 2!! Oh, no! Don't tell me it counts as medication?? I'm thinking it's more like a natural muscle relaxer. Any takers??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom