THR Muckingabout's THR Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jamie thanks:) my surgeon was clear that I was to cautiously try activities very slowly and see how it felt. I went to the gym for the first time today and mostly did my PT exercises.
 
I still hold my op leg straight when I get into bed or sit down. I need to be more brave about stretching my groin muscles to allow my knee to bend toward the outside but I haven't been able to do that movement in a long time. Just scared I guess. Anyway, that's what I'm working on now. Still can't touch the floor per restrictions.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I still hold my op leg straight when I get into bed or sit down. I need to be more brave about stretching my groin muscles to allow my knee to bend toward the outside but I haven't been able to do that movement in a long time. Just scared I guess. Anyway, that's what I'm working on now. Still can't touch the floor per restrictions.

@beachgal I also hold my leg a certain way when getting into bed. It just feels safe for now, I am okay with that and not rushing it. My OS generally feels that safe habits are good, so I go with it. Restrictions will be dropped eventually and I try to be very conscious of my movements and positioning of the leg still. Some are beginning to feel like overkill. I am not touching the floor either, but feel I could. I know I have or been close more than a few times, but do not want to make that regular until the thumbs up
 
So some milestones today on seven week eve:

Went to Wegmans for the first time post op today. Walking was so much easier than before. I was unexpectedly intimidated by the crowds. I'm also not confortable with lifting, which may be in my head, but I bought the room temperature octoberfest instead of the cold that I would have to awkwardly wrestle out of the cooler. And I requested drive up service so I didn't have to load my own groceries.

I was able to come home and unpack the groceries and start dinner too. My daughter or husband used to have to unload for me because I was so wiped out from shopping.

I tried kneeling at church, meh not quite confident yet. Might be all in my head though.

I did some laundry for the first time. I stood in front and bent straight using the Golfer's reach/Drinkie bird for the most part, taking care not to twist.
 
@muckingabout, agree with all the activities and our limitations "being in our head"...but that's an important place to be! If I think I need to stay away from doing something yet, I do, whether I really could do it or not. Usually I try it again in a few days/week and it's all ok. Why take a chance on something that doesn't matter so much?
You really are doing so well for 7 weeks...I feel like I've sorta plateau-ed. I'm sure I'm still making progress but it's not as noticeable as it was in the first few weeks. Just keep on plugging away at PT and walking, hoping that it adds up to something amazing...well, it's already amazing...but really, something normal...haha
 
@muckingabout Great reports! You are certainly making very steady progress in several areas. I might keep up "needing" someone to bring the groceries in from the car ~ one of my least favorite activities :)
 
@beachgal if I remember correctly you were uncemented. I was 100% weight bearing as tolerated out of the gate which may give me a bit of a short term advantage.
 
@muckingabout, yes, no cement in me and I was well into the fourth week before I was fully weight-bearing, I think. I'm riding a stationary bike and walking slowly on a treadmill at the gym but not much else except for some upper body stuff. I'm not so discouraged as I think I'm not doing as much PT as I was before I came back to work and it bugs me...
 
@beachgal I'm not getting as many walks in which is worrisome considering that good weather days are limited. Honestly, I haven't gotten a good long walk in since I ditched my cane.

Do you ever find the first step you take after sitting for a while difficult like your leg isn't stable enough to hold? I'm going to talk to my PT tonight to ask if that's muscle strength or all in my head.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@muckingabout, I cannot take the first step after sitting without pausing...I suppose I think it's going to hurt like it did pre-op! OMG! Once I take a step or two, I'm fine!! I think it will sort itself out, too, and I'll be happy when I can move past that. I'm walking some but not as much as before I came back to work. When the time changes on Nov. 2nd, it will be even harder since it will be dark so much earlier. UGH.
 
Hi @muckingabout and @beachgal - Yes, I have that feeling as well...when i get up from a chair i still move slow and deliberate (almost waiting to feel the arthritis pain)...I've been slowly training myself to get up faster...it's very weird, because there is no more pain, yay. I actually think my brain is still conditioned to expect the pain. On another note, it got way too chilly this morning in NY...wish summer was still here !! I actually put my heat on this morning to get chill out of the air!!
 
I talked to my PT and he said it was probably a combo of normal stiffness and my head. He said not to be surprised if I get achy and stiff on really cold days.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@muckingabout @beachgal @toohip

I get the same thing on rising and I don't have the same history as you all do. I think a lot of it is in our minds but perhaps in a way that is self protective. Due to falling I consider every foot placement carefully and often double check it. When I rise, I generally triple check for strength, obstacles and mental focus. The habits you have all developed over a period of a few years are going to take some pretty big work to break. Our brains try to protect us and in my humble opinion I respect that. Of course, there comes a point when we have to overcome some hesitations but better to stall and get your gait right at this relatively early stage.
 
@muckingabout @beachgal @Carriemay60 @toohip I can relate to your PT style exercises being harder to work in as my/our schedule returns to more of a 'normal' routine. As work now takes up the normal chunk of the day, mix in some exercises and household tasks I am having to show lots of extra discipline to finish them off...and a few get lost on the shuffle too. Keep up whatever you are doing and I hope we all strike our good balance to thrive with this next phase!
 
@muckingabout By the look of the weather this weekend you might get a couple of nice little walks in :) I have this horrible feeling of dread with winter looming, just waiting to pounce on us when we least expect it!

Almost more horrifying is the fact that by the time I am walking properly enough to go for a "walk", winter will be here and I will be forced to become to "Mall Walker", yikes!!
 
@muckingabout, @Carriemay60, you'd think that winter in the Deep South would provide wonderful opportunities for walking outdoors, and it does, but we have lots of rainy days here when it gets cooler so we're forced indoors, too. I guess everybody has to find a way to get their steps in!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom