THR Muckingabout's THR Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a little nervous waking up this morning after pushing it today, but all is well and I had the same good sleep -- 11:30-2:30 on my back, wake up, roll over on my side and that's me till about 6:45.

I have PT this afternoon so no long walk today.
 
@muckingabout I sure hope your sleep issues are behind you for good! I too, was a little nervous you might pay a price for such a big day yesterday so it's wonderful you are suffering no ill affects! You inspired me to try my side again. I prefer my op side normally so the other side did not feel overly comfortable, but it was a nice change for a couple of hours. My goal is to be able to walk far enough to make a walk outside enjoyable (as apposed to getting to the sidewalk and having to turn back) before the snow flies!! My daughter suffered a horrible day in Calgary yesterday with snow, hail and -3c wind chill. I sure hope we are spared such a early winter!
 
Isn't that a great feeling! It had been a long that i was able to do that. Sounds like you're doing great.
 
Today's milestone: walked up the stairs foot over foot without a cane.

I can't do that yet. I'm almost scared to try. I'm not using a cane but still do both feet on a step before going up another step. Just shakey...any suggestions to overcome this fear??
 
It should come naturally @beachgal. One day I was just doing it. Did you have stairs in your holiday home? If you weren't using them too often you prob didn't have a chance to practice. I'm still a bit shaky now this late on but generally unless I'm very tired I can go step on step.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No stairs at our Jackson home but I practiced some at PT. Now that I'm home, though, these ten steps in and out of house are giving me plenty of opportunity. I'll get there but they are still daunting.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Don't even worry about it yet @beachgal I've been doing full stairs multiple times a day for over a month and I just now did it. Wait until it's pretty much an accident
 
So, updates -- went to the GP yesterday and I'm half an inch taller than prior to surgery. I made it through six hours in the office today -- I was watching the clock that last half hour but I was determined. I took a 15 minute walk break with a couple of coworkers, so that helped. People keep telling me how much healthier I look, so my pain must have shown on my face more than I realized. Oh and I can get my foot about 12-15 inches off the bed when doing my leg lifts. The first week my heel was barely clearing the bed no matter how hard I tried.
 
@muckingabout Sounds like another good day for you! Are your legs different lengths now or? It is getting lonely around here now that everyone near my surgery date is getting back to work! :)
 
Great update @muckingabout - isn't it encouraging when co workers say how healthy you look - the chronic pain does take a toll - good for you :)

@beachgal - don't worry honey about the stairs, one day it will just happen and you won't realise it.. you will get there, you are also doing very well :)
 
I'm here, girls, just had my first real hair appointment since before my surgery and it took my gal two hours! Lots of work to be done there, I guess! So, nails done yesterday, hair today, I guess I'll break down and grocery shop tomorrow unless I can talk hubby into it...:rofsign:
 
It is quieter now. @Carriemay60 I think it's because my recovery is/was slow that I found all of you... different recoveries for everyone. Members who had their ops the same time as me were progressing leaps and bounds and I just stalled!

@muckingabout It's great your leg lenght is sorted. I go to PT tomorrow and my OS next Friday so I'll know the lie of the land about my LLD. But fingers crossed this week has been a breakthrough week and I'm hoping I won't need a heel lift. My gait is so much better.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Nothing makes a girl feel better than a visit to the hairdresser - and nails - makes one feel there is light at the end of the tunnel with recovery @beachgal - good for you!
 
@beachgal @muckingabout I had my hair and nails done for the memorial, then Nair'd my legs and it made such a difference to my frame of mind. I think I really turned a corner then and tried (with my limitations) to get on with my life more. I was determined to get a pedicure this week but somehow that didn't happen and have physio coming tomorrow. I am still very nervous of falls so going out alone is intimidating ~ I think hubby needs to get me into a salon on the weekend! I am so wanting to drive, but know in my gut that the reaction time in my knee is not there yet. Have to laugh at myself wanting to drive somewhere so bad ~ once I get there, what the heck am I going to do? I can't get the walker in & out on my own and can only carry a few pounds in a bag on my crutches, lol I guess I could take myself parking at the escarpment down the street :)
 
Thanks Carrie. .. the time difference helps... I'm finished work when your having lunch! You've definitely earned a bit of tlc. .. and a session with a hair stylist.

@beachgal. . I hope you're pleased with your hair. I hate going to the hairdressers. ..too much time looking in the mirror I get traumatised. I have a lot more grey's too of late. .. stress?? Having very dark brown/black hair means my trip can be fairly frequent too. I know you've been shopping a good few times but be careful with a big shop...the trolley can be difficult to push when it's heavy and lugging the stuff at the register is hard going. You may need to enlist your hubby.

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@muckingabout
Getting caught up again. Really great news on all your progress. You have been quite active with updates and in your recovery. Wonderful to read about your leg lifts too.
One thing that caught my eye was your reference to peanuts on the floor, before you revealed where it was, I suspected it was the brewpub. I still have a Buffalo Brewing Co growler from the early 90s. Love that place.

Awesome that your leg lengths are matching. I am still settling a bit, they measure correctly, but I have a tilt that still needs to relax. OS is not worried.

I know it is late, but to chime in about your drive, I would go for it in October, you mention you take a lot of breaks anyway and with a little extra padding I would think you will be alright, but I expect you will be stiff and tired. I have only done about 3 hours with random breaks in the car and was fine, but did get tired and that was at Week 4.
My wife still get nervous when I am on the stairs, even though I tell her it is more natural than she thinks. It felt like a great marker to walk stairs foot over foot.

I will try to keep up a bit better, but with work, recover and general domestic tasks it has become a bit harder to keep up on a regular basis. It really is fantastic to hear you are doing so well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom