Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Motherbone's Recovery Thread

You go girl Whoot Whoot well done, it feels great doesn't it:yes!:
 
Celebrate the accomplishment!!! Things one takes for granted are so wonderful once we can do them again. Things like a shower!! Yea!
 
I made another milestone today. I walked from the bedroom to the dinner table, walked to the recliner when we were finished, and later walked to the back of the house and then back to the recliner again. I spent most of the past week getting used to putting weight on my leg but still tended to resort to the wheelchair. This coming week I'm going to work on longer ambulation and less dependence on the chair. Getting up from a seated position without help is still a challenge, though.

I also finally made a few calls to some friends. For the first time in a long while I feel like I am ready to be around people. Weather permitting, hubs and I will have a late lunch with one of my friends one afternoon next week.

Last night I went online to my workplace and put in for PTO through the end of the year. I'm convinced I can recover from this but it may not be at the pace that other elements of my life expect, so we will see what happens there.

I really appreciate the outpouring of emotional support from all of you, you are the best!
 
I still need my arms to get up from some chairs. It all depends on chair height, length of seat (from front to back) how hard or soft the chair is, etc.

And who cares if I do need my arms to help. I don’t think anyone is watching and grading me on it.
 
And who cares if I do need my arms to help. I don’t think anyone is watching and grading me on it.
Right on, Jockette! We do what we have to do and it's really nobody's business but ours. I've been told I walk like an old lady. Well, at least I'm walking!
 
Today I brushed my teeth while standing up for the first time in 8 weeks.
My husband made spaghetti and meatballs last night. He put brown sugar in the sauce. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not, it was an unusual flavor. I really need to get back to the point where I can cook again.
 
My husband is a fan of brown sugar also. Me? Sometimes. I don’t think he would have thought to put it in the spaghetti sauce, though. At least you were able to tolerate it, though.

And yes, it’s nice when we can take back the kitchen!

Years ago I had a biopsy surgery and had to take it easy for the weekend. I was 32 and my kids were young. My mother in law and her sister were in the kitchen with my husband and he told them to get out of his kitchen (good naturedly). All I could do was grit my teeth in the recliner in the living room. :hairpulling: Who’s kitchen???
 
Yay for standing up to brush you teeth! I bet that felt good. Sweet spaghetti? Doesn't sound too good to me. I least he's trying.
 
Elf liked his spaghetti very sweet!
 
Well, tonight he served roast beef and he did a pretty good job with it.
I know this is only marginally related to recovery, but I wanted to share it so everyone would know I'm not trapped in sweet spaghetti. Although ample protein might be seen as important for healing.
I couldn't find an emoji for eating so we will just have to use our imaginations.
 
Protein is good for healing. When I couldn't eat due to nausea, I drank really cold protein drinks. These helped me survive the first month.
 
This week I had a late lunch with a friend at a real restaurant. Wow, the trees have lost their leaves, they still had plenty the last time I was out of the house weeks ago! It was much easier to get in and out of the car and I didn't have to lay down in the front seat. Clearly some range of motion improvement is happening within the 20 degrees flexion restriction without me consciously trying. Walking is still difficult because of the discrepancy in my leg lengths and a generally weak back since a lumbar fusion five years ago. I've been looking at upright walkers but some are quite expensive and look like it will be difficult to maneuver them in my older home. So I try to be mindful of my posture and gait. Any other tips or reading material on gait training would be welcome. Sleep continues to vary, with good nights alternating with bad ones. We are going to take the wheelchair on a field trip to Costco, where I can have plenty of room to practice handling it.
 
Last night we had friends over for dinner. I was able to shuffle around in my walker or remain seated at the table and enjoyed the socialization. I've come to realize that social isolation is my psychological enemy. Only problem was that I was wakened at 3 AM by intense pain in my unoperated knee, which has to do time and a half whenever I get up and walk. Sigh. On the bright side, I have been able to get up from a seated position several times a day without assistance. I'm kind of working that maneuver as if it were me working out using body weight as resistance training. I limit it to 3 times a day for now until I think I'm better conditioned, so I don't end up hurting myself. Also doing some stretches and trying to strengthen upper back because the walker has me pretty hunched over.

Damaging my new knee has forced me to recover in a different way then if I hadn't. I go at a snail pace because I can't do otherwise, which may be helpful in the long run because now there is no temptation to push it. I am aware that my muscles in the operative/accident leg are very very weak and it will likely take me a long time to get them in better shape but I know to ask for and look for exercises that work the muscles without subjecting the joint to too much force. I have an appointment with my surgeon for folowup this coming Wednesday. I suspect the conversation will turn more directly to PT. I've been wondering if I could find a physical therapist in private practice instead of going to an institutionally based PT program. I would count it money well spent. Guess I will start to research with Google!

Hoping everyone is doing well!
 
You can go to any PT you want, it’s your knee, your decision. Ask a lot of questions before you make an appointment to make sure you are on the same page.

Can your walker be made taller so you’re not hunching over?
 
I had a terrible pt experience at a large, institutional pt facility. I walked/limped out and never looked back. I started calling other local (and smaller) pt places. I literally interrogated them on the phone and told them about my bad pt. I found one!

Maybe you can do the same thing while you have time. It may be worth it. Good luck!
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
Back
Top Bottom