Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Motherbone's Recovery Thread

@beachy Funny you should mention the Corps. My father was in the Marine Corps for 20+ years. I could sing the USMC anthem by heart before I entered high school.

@KarriB --First graders!!! OMG!! I love that age but they are high maintenance and our knees are essentially on-board six year olds who demand our undivided attention, so it's a double whammy.:dubious:

@PolarBear60 Thank you!
 
Today is the USMC birthday! My son is a former Marine. I’m so proud of him and love the Marines.
 
My wheelchair arrived today but not the leg elevators so I have to wait to try it out. But I'm looking forward to being able to go from one place to the other in the house without having to wait for my husband to push me.

I've been following some posts about the maneuvers people have to go through in order to find a comfortable sleeping position, mostly for side sleeping. It takes me some time to get settled comfortably on my back to sleep and my hubs thinks I am too picky about it and should just be able to flop into bed. After reading other people's struggles, though, I feel vindicated. Glad to know I'm not the only one having a little trouble bedding down at night. And I still leave the light on to fall asleep because I don't like the dark. Hubs turns it off when he comes to bed.

One of our friends wants us to come over for Thanksgiving. They live about 45 minutes away. In order to ride in the car without bending my knee I have to push the seat all the way back and then make the seat back go all the way down so I'm basically laying down in the front seat with my leg extended out straight. I've only done that for short trips to the doctors office, about 15 minutes away. I don't think I can manage that position for the long car trip and I am pretty sure I would not be able to manage their bathrooms either because their toilets are very low and set into fairly cramped spaces--I need a raised toilet seat, arms on either side of the toilet, and a fair amount of room in order to get down and up with my leg extended outward so it doesn't bend. My friend is pushing the issue and insisted they would do whatever was needed to help me be comfortable but I don't think she fully grasps how limited my mobility is. I'm glad for such friends but I'll have to think about how to handle this.

I am happy that for the past two days I have not needed Tramadol during the day. @PegGar16 your suggestion about the patches was spot on. I've used the xylocaine patches and salon pas patches for spot relief in my wrists, elbow, and unoperated knee. I also discovered that lying in the recliner was putting some stress on my shoulder joints so I've been spending more time sitting in the wheelchair upright, or sitting on the bed, where they are not subject to gravity pulling them backwards and down. I also found a very supportive speciality pillow that supports neck, shoulders, and upper arms. My sleep is much more comfortable. My injured knee still begins to throb dully by 10 PM, which is when I take the Tramadol and extra strength Tylenol. These definitely help me to sleep though I still get up every 3 to 4 hours to pee. Oh well.

Hope everyone had a good day today! Hobble on. :tiredwheel:
 
If you are not feeling confident to go to your friend’s house for Thanksgiving, don’t go. If it was me, I wouldn’t.

Beware of those low toilets! Seriously. They caused me a major set back, and I was 4 months post op. I “should have” been healed enough to handle it, but I wasn’t.

We went to friends’ house for a weekend, and by the time I got home I could hardly bend my knee. Not only was the toilet low, there was nothing to help me up. I honestly don’t know how I managed it all weekend.

It took a good month for me to improve and bend better.

The morning we were supposed to go is when I remembered they had the regular low toilet. I debated canceling, but it had been a long time since we’d visited them, so I went. I wish I had rescheduled.

Shortly after I got home I ordered a portable raised seat from amazon so that situation wouldn’t happen again. We’ve had the higher toilets in our homes for years now, so even before my surgery the low ones were a challenge.

Don’t be pressured to please someone else right now. Your recovery is temporary. But ending up with a set back like I did will extend that recovery. They will not have to deal with the set back, you will.

Granted, you’re not going for a weekend, but you will have challenges that, at this point in your recovery, probably won’t be worth it. Especially since you sound like you don’t really want to do it. Take care of you. There will be plenty of time to visit others later. :console2:
 
I think you should tell your friend "Thanks, but no thanks. But we'd love to come next year, when I will really be able to enjoy myself."
Tell her you appreciate the thought, but give the complete rundown on how difficult it still is for you. You would be uncomfortable and miserable.

Mobility in a home not your own, negotiating low toilets, sleeping in strange conditions - no, not for you this year.
This year, you need to do what is right for you.

Apart from that, travelling in the car as you have to is very dangerous. Lying flat like that, if your driver had to do an emergency stop, you could "submarine" through the safety belt and be thrown forward forcibly - not at all what you want and, at the very least, very painful for your new knee.
 
I can do relate to your dilemma motherbone . Even though I was in no real shape to go anywhere my friends would ask if I wanted to come visit- for the day .And I would always have to say no explaining that I need a raised toilet seat as well as the driving issue. Also, my best friend has two German Shepards. And while they are great dogs they are big and very friendly- and I .was too afraid that they would accidentally hit my knee, etc .

One of my friends invited me for Thanksgiving. Even though I have a new knee he lives a little too far for me to comfortably drive and then of course there is the toilet issue .So he's bringing Thanksgiving to me.

Yes it really bothers me that I'm still not at a place where I can go to others homes but they totally understand. And your friends will too.

And I totally agree with Celle-about how you will need to sit in the car. It's dangerous.

Back when I was speaking to my mother she would insist upon coming to Drs spots with me . And of course she would have to drive. Which put me in the back seatl because I couldn't bend my knee to sit in the passenger seat .So I would have to sit in the back with my legs straight out with no seat belt on . And she is an aggressive driver .So I was nervous the entire ride.

Please be safe and stay home. I think you'll be much happier without the stress of worrying how you will navigate their home.
 
I also had the car issue for a while. I used the back seat with the leg stretched out on the seat. I was able to put on the seatbelt and then twist sideways. I used to tease my husband about being a chauffeur :)
The low toilets were the worst. My home bathroom had to be modified with a grab bar, even with the high toilet. You should hang at home for the holidays this year. Your friends should understand.
Glad the patches worked. I am getting ready for another procedure and they took me off my Meloxicam. I am definitely feeling it. I am using it all right now on my aching joints :)
 
I agree with the others. Ask you friend for a rain-check and cash it in when your knee is much more healed and ready for a big outing like that! My knee was only 2 months old and my friends asked me over for my birthday celebration. They were only 1/4 mile away and had a recliner and ice machine! I was still uncomfortable by the time I got home. Even with all their preparations, I wasn't able to relax. Being stressed always makes the knee hurt worse! Yep, your staying home is much suggested.
 
Sitting in the backseat with your leg up on the seat would solve the problem, but the toilets...not fun. You could always send your hubby and have him bring back a plate for you.
 
What wonderful feedback! We are going to decline with regrets. I just ordered a fully cooked Thanksgiving meal from a local grocery store. Hubs will pick it up Wednesday morning and we will heat it in the oven on Thanksgiving Day.

@arizonaone I am so happy to hear that your friend is bringing some Thanksgiving to you. You deserve a little nurturing.

@Celle Thank you for the reminder of the risks involved. We would have to travel freeways the majority of the time which would elevate the risks. I hadn't fully appreciated that.

So glad to hear from all of you about the low toilet problem so I know I'm not just a wimp. @Jockette I am going to look for that portable raised toilet seat, it sure could alleviate future problems. Even when I'm ambulatory again, low toilets will be like quicksand for me, and the rest of us as well--deceptively normal till you can't get up and out, LOL.

@PegGar16 Before my first surgery I did some research on NSAID use preoperatively. There appeared to be a consensus that celicoxib did not pose an anticoagulant or anti platelet risk, and my first surgeon did not even restrict its use pre op. its just never been particularly effective for my personal brand of RA.

@KarriB Fun fact: My husband eats like a horse but still weighs within ten pounds of his weight thirty years ago.

Still waiting for my leg elevators so I can learn how to operate my wheelchair. Hubs was riding around the house in it when I woke up this morning. I guess he deserved a little fun.

Hope everybody has a good night!
 
In order to ride in the car without bending my knee I have to push the seat all the way back and then make the seat back go all the way down so I'm basically laying down in the front seat with my leg extended out straight. I've only done that for short trips to the doctors office, about 15 minutes away. I don't think I can manage that position for the long car trip
@Motherbone, that is exactly what I do!!! :scary:
 
I have a raised toilet seat in both bathrooms. My mother has one too which she bought before we stopped speaking.

I bought one of mine on Amazon and the other at bed, bath and beyond with a 20% discount. You can buy online and get the discount if you sign up if you don't have a BBB by you .

Both have raised handles and are great.

Maybe I should buy them for my friends as Christmas gifts this year so wherever I go I'll be sure I'll be able to use the bathroom .Problem solved :heehee:
 
I agree with the others, enjoy Thanksgiving at home this year. Even if you were able to make the ride, the low toilet would be a nightmare. It amazes me how people with no knee problems don’t understand about those toilets that are practically on the ground. We just got back from Disney and I had a couple of times where I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to get up. I measured one of the particularly low ones. It hit me mid-calf. They had probably 2 dozen stalls and only one handicapped stall. It was always taken. Glad to be home.
 
I rode in the back seat with pillows under my leg. I was able to buckle the seatbelt, then twist around sideways. Not very comfortable but better than having the leg down!
 
@Jockette I got a portable raised seat. Thanks to you and @arizonaone for clue in me in about it. Now I at least have something to travel with, when I get to the point of being able to travel.

Today was not a good day. I had no energy, muscles and joints aching, feeling bored and frustrated. Guess some days are going to be like that. Before today I had two good days in a row and even slept 5 to 6 hours straight, so I guess it was time for some pay-back.
 
I’m so glad you got that seat! You won’t be sorry.

Did you get one with arms or without?
 
@Motherbone, here's an idea of what this recovery is like!
[Bonesmart.org] Motherbone's Recovery Thread
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom