Revision TKR Motherbone's Recovery Thread

Good to hear that the dr feels things are going well. I can imagine your relief!
 
That’s a good outcome then. I admire your positive approach saying you’ve got to work out your daily routine. Seems to help the days pass a bit quicker when you have a routine. Hope you’ve got good friends around who’ll take you out for a bit of a change though!
 
Well, here it is, day 17 of my recovery saga. Hubs and I are getting pretty good at the showering protocol and sometimes I even sleep 4 hours straight (but not too often). My shoulders must be toughening up because I have a little less pain in them and I was twice able to get myself out of the wheelchair using my upper body leverage. Not being able to bear full weight on my right leg continues to limit my range of activities and I worry about how weak my back and core are getting. Any suggestions about how to preserve tone in them would be welcome. I'm a little distressed at how my usual organization systems are all messed up. When I can finally get up and really stand in my closet I don't think I'll be able to find anything because hubs just tosses things in there after the laundry is done and pulls out the same things for me to wear over and over. And I don't even want to think about getting around in my kitchen when the time finally comes that I can cook. He has his own system. :yikes:
But I am grateful daily for him. :friends:Even though sometimes this constant contact has irritated one or the other of us.

I've had some get well calls from people at work which was nice. But I have a really listless feeling about returning to work. All my energy is taken up with navigating my recovery and finding a new routine for my ADL's. Good thing I don't have to make major decisions about that just yet. My next folowup appointment is scheduled for about ten days before I exhaust my FMLA so at that appointment I'll know what I'm up against in terms of continued activity restrictions, etc.

Hoping everyone is finding their personal balance. Hobble on. :tiredwheel:
 
Good to hear that you and the hubs are adapting. It sounds like you’re both getting into your recovery routine and, yes ma’am, it’s way different from our regular lives! I keep telling myself that it’s not forever.

I try to work my core while in the recliner. Just doing mini head/core raise. Tightening and releasing. Hard to describe. Anytime you can hold the ab muscles tight for a count helps. And you don’t need a good leg to do it :heehee:
Yay for the shoulders getting stronger!

You’re doing great considering what you went through. Hats off to you!
 
When are you due to return to work? It can take quite a while to get back to your or al energy level as your body is working super hard to heal after the trauma of surgery.

Try not to worry about the organization. At not a month post op I’m sure you don’t feel like reorganizing things. In a few weeks you can take a few minutes here and there to to set things right.
 
Today is day 21. I've had an inexplicable drained feeling for the past three days but feeling a little better now so I decided to check in and post. I think the RA was flairing. I've taken to putting ice packs on my shoulders, unoperated knee, and hands/wrists to tamp down some of the pain and inflammation there. The injured knee has also had a dull ache in it by the end of the day. I'm down to one Tramadol in the AM and one or two at night. I tried omitting the morning dose but there is no getting around the fact that I have a more functional day if I go ahead and take it, even if more functional means I just spend less time in the recliner and more time sitting at a desk or table. We are looking at dipping into savings to pay for a lightweight electric wheelchair for me to use around the house so I have a little more autonomy. I anticipate needing assistance with ambulation through the end of the year even if some of the weight bearing and range of motion restrictions are eased, because of loss of strength and muscle tone. I'm turning into a wimp! A friend has been wanting to come over but I've procrastinated about a day for her to do so, it's so much work to get presentable for company. I know I have to fight the urge to socially isolate myself. Maybe if I can get around a little more under my own steam, I'll feel more motivated. The clutter and disorganization in the house is a little demoralizing as well. It dawned on me last night that multi-tasking and planning three steps ahead are life skills that I've used and honed for decades because I had to, but my husband has not mastered them because he never faced similar demands on his time since I was doing it instead. I've been getting irritated by what seemed to be his failure to plan for and coordinate dinner in a timely fashion while simultaneously working on other household tasks - something that was second nature to me before now. Then I realized that he isn't being oppositional or dragging his feet, he just doesn't have those skills and he is learning as he goes. I wonder if anyone else is having a similar experience?

So sorry about the multiple tags, I thought I understood how to use them and I'll read the information again.

Motherbone over and out :tiredwheel:
 
@KarriB my FMLA ends Dec. 10. I'll have to see what the surgeon says on Nov. 28 and then attempt to negotiate with work for a schedule that accommodates what he says I will be fit for. I agree it would be better for my psyche if I could let go of my discomfort with the house clutter and I'll try. But I've been told that sometimes I can get kind of bossy (ha!).
 
@Motherbone , yes unfortunately multi tasking was not bestowed on the male race.....well there are some exceptions, but probably your hubby is doing best he knows hows.

I am now 7 weeks and like you multi tasking is second nature....always 6 steps ahead BUT i found that my brain didn't even start to kick in until about 5 weeks. Even then not full force. Maybe allow yourself a bit more time.

Very frustrating but i guess a good outcome of this process has been learning to live in the moment.:) :-) (:
 
The clutter thing is really hard when you’re used to things being organised. I think you just have to let it go unless you’ve got a good friend or relative who you could turn to for some help. It’s not forever though.

Similar issues with my partner .We don’t live together but he used some of his holiday time to come and look after me from my 3rd day out. It didn’t go well because he came down with some exhaustion thing ( it’s been a while since he had time off work) and was dragging himself about the place trying to look after me! Needless to say there were a few terse moments.
The electric wheelchair sounds a great idea.You’re having to put up with so much you deserve a bit of added help .:snow plough: Just pretend this emoji is your electric wheelchair!
 
@Kiwigirl62 you hit the nail on the head--learning to live in the moment. Paiptience is being ground into me.
 
Yes unfortunately there is no other choice but living in the moment. :rotfl:

Sometimes I'm a bit worried I'll remain forever "chilled out". But i guess thats better than a stressed out life.:whistle:

Although gotta say the first 4-5 weeks are the hardest-no preparation can get you there :doh:
 
@Newboots i really like that wheelchair emoji! We pulled the trigger on the purchase but it likely won't ship till nest week. Hoping it works well for us. On the plus side, I am getting better at mobilizing myself at night though I still need some help. Can't seem to shake my 3 to 4 hour bladder. :nah:

We've been discussing Thanksgiving and Christmas. It doesn't look like our plans for the holidays will work out this year and I'm trying to figure out how to just get through them without too much depression. Wish I could just go to sleep on November 21 and wake up on January 2.

I did have a call with my supervisor at work and felt a little better afterwards. She appears to understand the uncertainty about what I will be declared fit for, and when.

Going to ice my hands and shoulders now. Night!:yawn:
 
Hi! I just read your thread and are really feeling for you. I also had the fractured patella with a ruptured patellar tendon. You nailed it with your description. I was taking a step to the side around a cooler and it went out. My husband and friends said it sounded like ripping velcro apart and I described the it same as you - didn't know whether to throw up or pass out. That is now my #10 pain level..lol.

The emotional mood swing are the worst and normal. Reading about your husband brought back memories. I was lucky mine liked to cook and started to do things around the house after he retired. The hardest part with it all was I was not used to people having to "take care" of me. I have always been very active and doing things for myself so this down time was awful. There were a few times that I just broke down and bawled my eyes out.

Those hinged braced drove me crazy with the slippage. Wrapping my leg with the elastic wraps worked best for me. It will be a little better when then start letting you bend your knee.

Have you tried the 5% Lidocaine lotion/ointment on your joints? Or the patches? I don't have RA but arthritis in a lot of my joints and was very surprised on how well they worked. It might help until you can start taking your RA meds again.

I discovered on-line shopping for the first Christmas that I was down. I never knew it could be so much fun...LOL

hope you are feeling better :)
 
I hope they will extend your FMLA. Two months recovery isn’t quite enough. I needed 3 months and went back to half days for about a month. I was still pretty tired even at 3 months post op.
 
@KarriB I was the one who originally thought, before blowing out my knee, that I could go back after 8 weeks. My original surgeon, however, filled out the paperwork for 12 weeks, thank goodness, because I definitely now need the whole amount. He had told me I would probably regret trying to go back any earlier but I was hard headed. Now I know better and you are right, it takes longer.

@PegGar16 im glad to hear from another broken patella sufferer. @PolarBear60 also sustained a patella break and described it as a loud crack. Mine was like a big thick rubber band stretched beyond its limit and giving way with a loud spring-sprung sound. Interesting that the sound is loud enough to hear beyond the confines of the body. And terribly creepy as well. You are correct, that pain now defines level 10 pain for me. Worse than my back surgery five years ago.

Not much new going on here except that the weather is changing for the colder. We are getting much more efficient with many activities of daily living that we struggled with earlier. Last night I finally got myself up to the bathroom and back down in bed without waking either my husband or my dog, which has been a milestone I've struggled to accomplish. I also bought an immobilizer to dedicate to the showering experience--meaning it could get wet and air dry in between uses. We cut the bottom out of a big plastic garbage bag (30 to 40 gallons) to create a large plastic tube. We slide that over the immobilizer, fully covering it, then tighten it around my upper thigh and tie up the plastic straps. Then we use two lengths of 2 inch wide heavy duty Velcro to cinch the top again, with the velcro straps running parallel to each other as they encircle my upper thigh (two cinches, running right next to each other). Finally, with another piece of the Velcro, we cinch the lower end closed around my leg just above the ankle, thus leaving the foot free to be washed. This system is much more workable than all the commercially available plastic covers I tried. The immobilizer stays in place, it does get a little wet but it does not move on the leg and we just hang it to dry when we are done. I have an assortment of dressing sticks and grabbers of varying lengths which I've staged at my four main living spaces--bath, bed, recliner, and breakfast table. I joke that it looks like we are running a rehab facility here, but in a sense we are, LOL.

We will see what tomorrow brings. Good and healing thoughts and energy to everybody tonight.
 
You have figured out a really good way to shower! It sounds like you are coping well with a tough situation. Great on not waking up the other two family members there!
 
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome. The USMC got it right and so did you!
 
You’re not alone! I originally thought I could go back to teaching first grade at 8 weeks! I hope it all works out for you!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom