Revision TKR Motherbone's Recovery Thread

My brace also went down to my ankle, and that helped me keep it in place better. I had some slippage hassles but nothing like you describe. Good luck getting a better solution for you. DonJoy is supposed to be a reputable brand, but slippage is a challenge. I had DonJoy braces prior to my replacements, and they did have some slippage challenges.
 
@Casuals thank you for your good wishes. It always helps my morale.
@PolarBear60 thanks for the brace information. Still holding my breath about what will be found at my post op visit on Wednesday. A Halloween appointment, hope that's not a bad sign.

Today is Day 11 of my recovery. I had a low emotional moment last night, felt like my life was ruined and that I had dragged my husband down with me. Crying in the bathroom. I managed to re-boot by the morning. I realize that I'm grieving the loss of what I thought would be. I try not to show a lot of sadness around people because I feel like no one wants to be around a sad person. It's tough. Glad I can unburden on this website.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to learn how to knit. I look at the instructional pictures and I can't make sense of them, it's like I have picture dyslexia. I may try some hand piecing if my joints can handle it. I'm going to ask on Wednesday if I can re-start something for my rheumatoid arthritis, Celebrex or Aleve. The joints of my shoulders, hands and wrists are screaming. Some of it is overuse from supporting more of my body weight than they are accustomed to, but I've been off my biological for 12 weeks now so there is some disease process going on as well. Tramadol helps but it's not targeting the real source of the pain, which is the inflammation.

Just call me Mournful Motherbone tonight, LOL.
 
Crying is a definite side effect of this recovery, and maybe after any major surgery. :console2:

I cry easily so I wasn’t surprised, I was surprised by the intensity, along with actual melt downs.

But we’ve had members who said they never cry, but cried a lot early in this recovery.

I really believe that even though our conscious mind does not remember the actual surgery, somewhere in our mind it is remembered and manifests itself in crying and new fears, etc, in the earlier parts of recovery.

Plus the fact that we’re in pain, so limited in what we can do, etc. It takes a major toll on us.
 
Mother bone really relate to you not being able to make sense of the knitting patterns! On second tkr and my brain has turned to mush again but I remember this from last time and I know it will pass as will the crying.

You’ve had to put up with so much more , so just big hugs and keep on recovering.
 
:console2:
You have been through so much in a short amount of time.
Much more than most of us. You went into having a tkr about 4 weeks ago. You weren't even recovered from that and now you have to start over. Cry all you want. I feel like crying for you.
And rheumatoid arthritis to top it off!

You will get over this ginormous hump . In the meantime come here to the forum. I think you are one tough lady not a mournful motherbone. And soon you are going to kick butt in recovery!:yes!:
 
Yes, I had more surgery, a right TKR revision and extensor reconstruction on October 16, 2018
I see. But can you tell me what you had done? Did they excise the remnants of the patella and then repair the patellar-quads tendon?

And you never commented on my request as to whether you can get me xrays of the patella fracture and the post-op repair?
 
@Josephine I'm not sure about whether they excised remnants. I have my first post op appointment Wednesday and will ask more detailed questions and availability of xrays. My surgeon has been very communicative thus far but I may not have retained everything he told me when I was in the hospital.

@Jockette , @Newboots , @beachy i appreciate your support so much. Today was a little better. I've stopped trying to shower every day because it takes over an hour from start to finish and I need so much help with it that I don't want the bother; I shower every other day.

I haven't been outside since October 19 so I don't pick up too much dirt. If I get good news of healing at my Wednesday appointment I will work on trying to ambulate a little further in the house so I am less dependent on the wheelchair. I hate waking my husband up at night for help when I go to the bathroom but for safety reasons I do it.

I have been trying to sit at the table more instead of lying in the recliner all the time. Lots of migratory aches and pains that sometimes make me grumpy but overall knee pain is not too bad.

Today was my birthday and I got good wishes from family and friends and I ate a chocolate eclair, so it was all good. :) :-) (:
 
Ooh Happy Birthday! Hope you get good news on Wednesday.
Yeah who needs showers every day. Before the op I was on my allotment nearly every day and was always mucky - leaves in my hair and muddy smudges on my face but not now! :loll:
 
If anyone has a preferred brand of knee immobilizer, please let me know. I'll post after my appointment tomorrow.

Motherbone hobbles on.:tiredwheel:
 
Oh @Motherbone I lay here icing my knees...again...reading about all this stuff you are going through. If you read my post ive had a couple of setbacks. Nothing i've decided like yours.
I too previously was immobilised for 8 weeks, dislocated foot, which inturn spiral fractured my fibula.
No weight bearing at all. (Boy did i get good at driving my wheelchair around corners at home.) In a cast so showering was a pest! I find if you use zinc powder...like the baby nappy powder it really helps with red rashy moist areas. My rehab was looong. Im hoping ill do better with this one.
My friend also broke her knee cap but hadnt had tkr. Its a tough one girl. But you'll get there you have the right attitude.
Cry when and as often as you need to it helps with the stress!
Get a good fitting brace.
Learn to crochet...its my saviour!!
Ill be thinking of you. Take care, rest well. X
 
@Motherbone I’ve been so involved in my “stuff” that I just read your thread.

I’m so sorry your going through this. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain you are in.

I can relate to the crying and depression you are going through. Most mornings I would wake up crying.

I’m still in the hospital and tonight 2 college girls volunteering from the local university came to my room to ask if I wanted to do art therapy. I’m no artist but they said it didn’t matter so I told them I would.

We all painted/drew Halloween themed pictures. I have to tell you that in the hour or so they were here I was so busy painting and talking to them I forgot about my pain and depression and actually had a really good tune.

So my thought - what about if you had your husband get some paint or colored pencils and some art paper. You could paint alone or together and I am sure it will help with your mood and pain.

I was really surprised how much better I felt afterwards.

Please feel better and keep us posted on how you are doing.
 
I’m still in the hospital and tonight 2 college girls volunteering from the local university came to my room to ask if I wanted to do art therapy. I’m no artist but they said it didn’t matter so I told them I would.
What an awesome way to volunteer!
 
When I was in transition care they brought a therapy dog in to anyone who wanted a visit. I loved having a dog visit!
 
Thanks to all for the birthday wishes and suggestions!
Everyone, keep up your spirits.

My surgeon told me today that things look good. He took X-rays and the original joint replacement hardware remains undisturbed. He wrote all over the pictures with circles and arrows so I don't have clear copies to post. He was clear that the healing will be slow and heavily dependent on not moving the knee. My understanding is that he could not completely approximate one of the fragments and it sounds like I will likely have to baby this knee even if I ultimately end up with little to no chronic pain. My stitches were removed and the incision appears to have healed well. I still have to keep the knee immobilized with limited weight bearing. I asked about an immobilizer but he said he gets more complaints about slippage than with the brace. He left the choice of a cast to me and I decided against it; I have intermittent problems with eczema and he agreed that it would not be possible to monitor the integrity of my skin under a cast. I do think I'll take a look at various immobilizers online though. He did not want me to take antiinflammatories yet and was ok with my taking Tramadol twice a day to help with joint pain. I go back in 4 weeks.

I was so relieved to have navigated this first post op hurdle that I laid down when I got home and slept for two hours. Now I just have to work out a daily routine.

Hobble on. :tiredwheel:
 
You’re doing great! Slow and steady. I admire your courage.
We’re hear for you as you hobble along!:console2:
 
Yay, a good report! Slow and easy does it!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom