THR Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips

:hi: Everyone :xmark: Muffet here

Huge apologies for gap in comms. I am sure you will have thought it slightly unusual as I'm such a chatterbox normally. Just blame it on extreme tiredness and drugs.

So here's my report.

Was collected from my room around 11.20 and met by jolly, jokey assistant anaesthetist Craig. I will admit to nervousness about the spinal - exactly like last time. This, despite the fact that I am a true convert. Dr Wizard, my previous anaesthetist, must have given me a horse dose of sedative because from the time the cannula was inserted to step down unit I was truly gone, and don't even remember going! However, this time, Dr Marvel, obviously toned it down a tad because I do remember the spinal being done. But the upside is that this is useful comparative research because although I do recall it being done it was not a problem and I remember shifting round from a seated position to lying down afterwards, ready to be wheeled in, but that was it.

Next thing someone is saying "ok you're all done" and I'm in recovery (didn't remember recovery room last time at all, though I understand I had long chats. Can't close this kid down) Had detailed conversations with my appointed nurse. Felt a bit shivery and was brought an extra blanket and then being wheeled to the step down unit to precisely the same bay as was last Op. Deja vu! Everything including pain under control ie ranking zero. Makes a nice change from 9-10 only a couple of hours beforehand eh? Had some tasty sarnies and tea and kept up the irrigation with plenty of water and a bedtime Ovaltine. Mr M arrived, had extended visit and then sent him home to rest and enjoy the remainder of his evening.

Much later I had a pain spike and it was time for some oral morphine. It is good stuff, fruity and non-medical taste, but best of all works fast. Through the night I had another couple of those. I have learned from personal experience and others on here that there is absolutely no point in bearing pain. The minute it raises its head then act on it. Don't fool yourself into thinking you'll cope or it will be go away. Best to keep on top of it.

Was kept with other hippies in step down overnight and then back to my room. Requested my lovely porters who transported me there to change my "Nil by mouth" sign to "Loads by mouth" as I was ravenous, and fell on my breakfast tray! From there on a series of visits by nurses for Obs, my OS and anaesthetist to check up on me, food etc. I was on strong pain control which, together with the tiredness, made me rather woozy. It was decided that, because of the slight dizziness I would sit on the side of the bed for a wash down and freshen up and the Physio said she would junk anything more than resting in bed. Coped really well with loo trips on frame but always with someone on hand. Pain at rest was now minute but getting in and out of bed and raising and lowering to sit a bit ouchy. It brought back memories of thinking "oh Lord, I'm going to split these stitches!" Completely out of the question as I have lots of embroidery in and outside and am sealed up with superglue. These awkward movements do ease over time and are something I know I will manage. Oh and Mr M arrived with the cake for my lovely team of medics. Will try and post a pic if I'm clever enough soon.

Would have posted on here earlier but frankly none of it would makes sense so I doubt it would be particularly constructive either for you, or me as a memoire. Mind you am not totally convinced this summary will read 100% sensibly. Appetite after initially being satisfied at breakfast then stalled. The sleepiness set in big time and eyes constantly half closed like failed shutters. So by the time a couple of my grandkids(aged 8 and 2) had left, having given me a thorough medical check-up and instructed me on the detailed PT I have to do I was completely whacked and fell asleep.

An hour later I was woken suddenly for drugs. Apparently one of the younger nurses had failed to rouse me and hit the alarm for help as she wasn't entirely sure whether I was still of this world! Straight back to sleep and, apart from waking for a few loo runs, slept a straight 11 hours. Felt much brighter as a result. Up, showered, hair, dressed and sitting in bedside chair. 2 lovely visitors and then the Physio arrived. Promoted to crutches and will be doing my stair exam this afternoon. Ran through the exercises which I politely nodded and cooperated with - and which I will do if and when I choose once I get home. Far more likely to walk at regular intervals and gradually build on that as my body learns to cope, but never pushing it. Experience showed me that the shortcut to easy recovery is .....Bonesmart knows best.

Plan is I will be released for good behaviour tomorrow so will update soon afterwards, although my BP has dropped so I need to continue with the hydration, catch up on zzzzzs and take things steadily.
Hope everyone is fine and sorry if I'm a bit behind following all my Smartie friends
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gullimac - hello! So sorry not to have caught up on you. Am a bit behind and have much reading to do on BS. Ah no - the snow was a bit of a flurry and amounted to nothing to speak of down where I live, but further north they've had a bit more. An icing sugar dusting is always so pretty and I always want to see it on Christmas morning, although a White Christmas is more regularly a dream then a reality.

Your thread will tell me more but how are you doing? Hoping things are running smoothly. Aren't we just the luckiest bunnies!
 

Your thread will tell me more but how are you doing? Hoping things are running smoothly. Aren't we just the luckiest bunnies!

Exactly-lucky bunnies!

I feel a lot of dejavu with recovery having been through it. I did start off with a bit of worry with some early troubles with nausea and light-headedness. But after the first night I have returned to the norm. Invigorated by the disappearance of the bone-on-bone joint pain and knowing that the muscle soreness and weakness is temporary.

Let's both keep up the good work! [Bonesmart.org] Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips
 
Great update @Miss Muffet ! Sounds like you are getting caught up on your sleep. Well done! That trip home can be exhausting so best to catch as many naps as possible before the trip. Very happy you are all done with this!
 
Hey there, Miss M! Sorry to have been missing in action lately, but glad to catch up with how things have gone. So far, so good!! Keep up the great reporting and I'll track you down when I can. (Now.....back to my grand daughters!!!)
 
@Miss Muffet Aren't you a hoot! I especially like the part about changing nil by mouth to Loads by mouth! Way too funny and true I might add. They fed me well postop and I ate everything that didn't move away from me first. Sounds like you remember so much of pre and postop care. Good for you! Love the cake and so thoughtful
Of you to give to the nurses and staff. You are doing fantastic!
 
Much later I had a pain spike and it was time for some oral morphine. It is good stuff, fruity and non-medical taste, but best of all works fast. Through the night I had another couple of those. I have learned from personal experience and others on here that there is absolutely no point in bearing pain. The minute it raises its head then act on it. Don't fool yourself into thinking you'll cope or it will be go away. Best to keep on top of it.

Go you! I am so scared to ask for this sort of stuff - yes I am one of the ones who would stupidly think that the pain will go away! LOL...Thank you for the reminder!

cake for my lovely team of medics
Amazing cake!!

Wow they aim on getting you out SO quickly!
 
@JMACCA -please don't be afraid to request pain relief. I was offered oral morphine for both hip Ops - it is fast and effective. If you're bothered about getting "hooked" put that worry to one side. I hesitated in the step down unit then thought better of it and am glad I asked for. From then on I only asked when I needed it and am completely off it now (since day 2) and just taking paracetamol and Ibruprofen plus aspirin for blood thinning and a stomach protector. The rest will be dealt with by icing and elevating. Home now and fully weight bearing on Hip#2. Using crutches simply for support and balance. Let the medical staff guide you but please speak up at the first sign of pain. Remember they can't measure or detect it, so you must be honest when asked what level you are and in between press that buzzer and put them in the picture.
 
Go you! I am so scared to ask for this sort of stuff - yes I am one of the ones who would stupidly think that the pain will go away! LOL...Thank you for the reminder!
The pain doesn't go away - it gets worse. I stupidly let mine get too bad with hip#2 and by then the oral morphine didn't work so I had to have some through my cannula and while it took the pain away I was SOOOO sick the next two days, I sometimes wonder if it was worth it it!
 
Dr Harrison also demonstrates the correct use of crutches, conducts an examination and finds an alternative use for a sick bowl
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips
    image.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 314
  • [Bonesmart.org] Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips
    image.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 303
  • [Bonesmart.org] Miss Muffet proudly presents - her new hips
    image.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 300
Just love those photos of your adorable grands being so sweet to you! And that cake, how delicious and cute it looks! Thrilled to hear how well you are doing.
 
Great news that your home ! How nice your grandchildren came to visit great pics! Love the new style hat very cool ! Hope your first few days at home go well for you
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom