Guest viewing is limited

PKR Mikes new knee 28 November, 2016

I read your thread and think you are doing really well. I had a PKR on 25th November 2 years ago and was doing a lot less than you at this stage. This takes a lot of time and rest and I found sitting very difficult for ages. I didn't have lots of swelling but noticed when I did too much my knee did swell a little but I spent ages icing and elevating.
Good luck with your recovery.
 
I really DISLIKE pain meds.
Why do you say that? Do you think the rest if us enjoy taking them, then? Perhaps you think we treat them like sweeties!
I plan on working from home week of Jan 9 and Jan 16, then I will go back into the office week of Jan 23. I have a desk job. I'm wondering if recovery time is different for PKR vs TKR.
I really don't advise that. You will regret it big time because there is NO difference in recovery experience between the two.
I will do PT exercises in my office
If you are active enough to be at work then you DON'T need exercises! It's not the exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. One thing that seems to be missing from all the PT's protocols is that all your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself. In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Hi Mike - I will be having lateral PKR on Wednesday January 4th. Mine is being done outpatient and using Navio Robotics. Mine is left knee, so I can drive as soon as I am off pain meds. I really DISLIKE pain meds. I plan on working from home week of Jan 9 and Jan 16, then I will go back into the office week of Jan 23. I have a desk job, I work in cyber security. I will do PT exercises in my office. :D I will not be doing in-office PT. I am part of a research study where I have an app on my phone that tells me what to do each day and was given home equipment. I also have a stationary bike at home.

Based on the comments on this site - I'm wondering if recovery time is different for PKR vs TKR.

U cats, Karrie is right i did a little work at home the first two weeks, but not much, too hard to sit at a desk, or with leg down. Was able to do a lot more last week
I guess this is my fourth week of recovery, i went in for 4 hours Wednesday and was exhausted, yesterday.!!
I took the train today and spent 5 hours there. I am flexible i run the job and my boss needs me , so no pressure for me to be there too much.
Plan to do outpatient pt tuesdays and thursday for the next month , typically at 730, go to work and still head home by 2 or 3.
I know full days would be aggressive for me, i am ready for a nap after my wife picks me up, sounds like you are getting a pretty slick surgery, just be prepared for a lot of pain especially at night, last njght was the first nite i did not need oxy!!!

Good luck and keeps us posted
Mike


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Well, @UACats70 many PKRs need more than a few weeks to recovery. Surgeries of this type along with pain meds often give brain fog which can make it hard to concentrate. Also whether you're PKR or TKR there is usually a lot of swelling involved from the trauma of surgery and the only way to relieve that swelling is with ice and elevation. I think it may be difficult to work from home 5 days after surgery.

Thanks Karrie, i am doing very well considering, Happy Holidays


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I read your thread and think you are doing really well. I had a PKR on 25th November 2 years ago and was doing a lot less than you at this stage. This takes a lot of time and rest and I found sitting very difficult for ages. I didn't have lots of swelling but noticed when I did too much my knee did swell a little but I spent ages icing and elevating.
Good luck with your recovery.

Thanks super snapper, been a long haul i am used to being out the door by 530 am, and home after 8 pm mosts nights, so being home is tough, i have a great wife an a good surgeon, time will tell, was walking around in office with out crutch a bit, knee is stiff will get it above my nose and lots of ice in 45 minutes !!
Time will tell, thanks everyone!
Happy holidays


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Even though you are not going for a full day make sure that you don't plan to do anything else that day but to come home, ice and elevate. Skip any stops on the way home and save them for your days off.

Thanks agree!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Mike, consider not going to PT on the days you work. Going to work is really the only PT you need and the time you're not at PT you can ice, elevate and nap!
 
I agree with Karri.

On work days, don't do anything else except come home, grab a quick bit to eat, and then rest, ice and elevate.

Getting to and from work and work itself is plenty of exercise for your knee on work days. In fact, many people stop PT once they are back at work, because everyday life takes over as your exercise.
 
Agree planning PT for tuesday and thursdays and working and staying at home those days. I asked Pt not to expect me to be working too hard , with them, but to assist me with my walking/gait and the stiffness in the front of my knee.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
It's a really good idea to ask your PT to help with gait and balance. Normal everyday living takes care of all the exercising you need, to regain ROM.
 
It's a really good idea to ask your PT to help with gait and balance. Normal everyday living takes care of all the exercising you need, to regain ROM.

Yes thanks


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Absolutely, Mike! My PTs helped immensely with gait. Merry Christmas! :candle:
 
You are doing very well and have been able to find the balance between doing too much or nothing at all. Increasing your activity levels a little at a time is the way to go.
 
Therapy today, so the good news is they taught me how to walk today,, put me on parallel bars with a mirror at end look up at mirror , toe to heel toe to heel, wow felt good no limp cuz i was all limbered and warm from the exercises , I was a mess before surgery, knee and ankle all messed up so I need to work at this.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
It sounds as if you have made incredible progress! I had my op two days after you and still have some pain and swelling. I can't walk without at least one crutch and then only for about 100 metres. I can't sit with my leg down for more than 10 minutes and still have that tight band feeling that restricts my knee bending. I haven't yet been able to reduce my meds - I do my daily exercises and keep my leg up and iced as much as possible. You sound streets ahead of me, I guess we all heal at our own rate. I can't envisage returning to work for weeks! More power to ya.
 
put me on parallel bars with a mirror at end look up at mirror , toe to heel toe to heel, wow felt good no limp
I'm glad your PT is helping with your gait.

It's also possible to improve your extension by walking with the correct gait, which is 'heel-toe' and stride and taking a decent step length, not shuffling because you are nervous of tripping.


You step forward, landing with your heel striking the ground first, then your foot rolls forward, until you push off with your toes.
Take it slowly at first and keep thinking about it, until you automatically walk with the correct gait.
 
It sounds as if you have made incredible progress! I had my op two days after you and still have some pain and swelling. I can't walk without at least one crutch and then only for about 100 metres. I can't sit with my leg down for more than 10 minutes and still have that tight band feeling that restricts my knee bending. I haven't yet been able to reduce my meds - I do my daily exercises and keep my leg up and iced as much as possible. You sound streets ahead of me, I guess we all heal at our own rate. I can't envisage returning to work for weeks! More power to ya.

Thanks Go go girl, walk as much as you can , massage that band I have a whale bone i use for moving scar tissue out of bad areas,
PF , broken hands that works wonders.



Thanks

Mike


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Therapy today, so the good news is they taught me how to walk today,, put me on parallel bars with a mirror at end look up at mirror , toe to heel toe to heel, wow felt good no limp cuz i was all limbered and warm from the exercises , I was a mess before surgery, knee and ankle all messed up so I need to work at this.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does it ever make you giggle that we're all learning to walk again? Heel toe, heel toe hahaha! It's been fun watching your recovery I hope all continues to go well for you!


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Even you fingers works for massage , I am doing that now! I


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I'm glad your PT is helping with your gait.

It's also possible to improve your extension by walking with the correct gait, which is 'heel-toe' and stride and taking a decent step length, not shuffling because you are nervous of tripping.


You step forward, landing with your heel striking the ground first, then your foot rolls forward, until you push off with your toes.
Take it slowly at first and keep thinking about it, until you automatically walk with the correct gait.

Thanks Celle, good advice!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom