Guest viewing is limited

PKR Mikes new knee 28 November, 2016

Yes needed to pass test to get up the 7 stairs into house

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
Ouch , i went and down 10 srairs in hospital stairwell

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
Going well, into a routine, sleep, ice , elevate, repeat, walking around house, doing heel slides and ankle turns.
I had a talk with the PT, nothing dangerous or aggressive she agreed, I got to 75 degrees not great but a start, had a blister under the waterproof bandage that doctor put on, caused me a lot of pain.
Wife refill ice every 90 minutes in the articcast
Had a problem my chair in Lr , swiveled and rocks could not get in or out safely. Big problem, no where to sit on my first floor!!

So we were planning to get a new chair for the loft 2nd floor, where we have two matching gravity recliners, from lachance furniture in Gardner, so I had my painter/ handiman come over with his son. One of the two chairs was brought down to first floor living room, problem solved. Have to work on proper elevation, in bed, on recliner, etc. I have the blue foam piece for bed , but have not found I can sleep with it for too long, more of a nap item thoughts anyone?
Cutting the oxy down to 1 per period during day.
Actually slept through from last icing at 4am until 8am, wifey woke me to get me up so she could walk the boys
Keep trucking everyone is doing great!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Try adding pillows to the recliner for elevation.
 
Ok have done
that trying to get a somewhat comfiest fit


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@mwetzel394

Hope everything went well for you!!! I had my second tkr today and I'm doing pretty good. Sending healing vibes your way!!!

Jen

Saw you got home how is that comin g Jen? I had some bad nursing at hospital, didn't complain much but it was certainly annoying and painful, good to be home, healing with my beautiful wife and two labs, here's the guardian Trevor
[Bonesmart.org] Mikes new knee 28 November, 2016



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Doing well, thank you for asking! I love your guardian!! Such a love!!! Big doggies are the best! Just wondering if I read something about you cutting your meds down to once a day? Someone who is way more qualified than me will address that, I'm sure! :)

I have found that sitting too low right now makes it almost impossible to get back up! I'm only 5'10", but long legs and neither are at 100% yet. So, I make sure to sit somewhere with two arms I can use to push up on, or the countertop/tub in the bathroom. I will also put 3 pillows on the seat of a chair before I sit down. That seems to give me enough of a boost up to help. My bed was even a tad too low when I first got home, but just telling myself that doing it will make it easier, I just do it and deal with the few seconds of pain. It's not too bad, but the anticipation of it makes it so much worse!

Sounds like you are doing well. Don't underestimate yourself!

Jen
 
Thanks Jen, all is good, just frustrated icing all nite , don't have an ice machine just the cry off cuff, seems to get too warm too quick. No I am using my meds constantly just feel like I don't need the 2 percocets in morning, Happy Sunday?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hi Mike.

I received my left "bionic" partial back on June 7. I just wanted to let you know that surgery is worth it. You might not feel that way now, nor in two weeks, nor in two months. Up until 19 1/2 weeks post surgery, I questioned why I did this to myself. I'm now so happy that I had the PKR. At 21 weeks and three days I walked 377 steps up to the crown of the Statue of Liberty and 377 back down.

Please be assured that your pain, your stiffness, your limitations will go away. Believe me when say I never thought mine would. But they did!! Listen to your doctors. Listen to your pt. Most of all, listen to your body.

Be well.
 
December 6, 2016
Ok surgery recovery update
Surgery was Monday 11/28
Had partial arthoplasty , due to medial compartment osteoarthritis, joint was bone on bone. The put in an Oxford biomed partial knee replacement.
Got home Wednesday December 30, I do not like hospitals!!

The home Nurse visit every 3-4 days
Physical therapist every other day
Working on strength, and ROM ( range of motion) of operated leg .
Argue with PT that I do not plan to overdo the therapy, a swollen leg is not a healing leg. It's dangerous and uncalled for.
They got my ROM to 85 today! so that's good, goal is 120 to 130.(degrees). I don't think it was over 110 before surgery , gonna ask her to review good leg today.
Lots of pain meds, oxycodone, Tylenol, trying to cutting down on the narcotics, they do serve a purpose here for sure.
Working a bit everyday, lots of rests and naps.
Sleeping is the hardest, have to get her up, or myself to keep Cyro cuff, cold, by refilling ice water in cuff.
Set up on first floor, Lr, dr,kitchen, bath and 2 bedrooms.
Not a lot of walking room, using crutches to get around more efficiently.

Showers are tough, she helps me get in and I sit on a shower seat for most of it.

Glad to see everyone bringing it , gives me focus and look into my future, gonna need shades.
Just wanna bend my leg up and curl up. The house is 8 steps to front door, or 15 to the basement. Had to show pt at hospital that I could negotiate this before release last Wednesday, that was a long couple of nights in hospital, they were all great , but always seemed to be an hour behind on my meds.(too busy)

Wife is gonna help me get down the stairs and take me to Starbucks this afternoon!

Did want to bore you with details, just wanted to document or blog my journey to date, 8 days post op.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
You're doing well. Just be careful not to over do things.

When you go to Starbucks your spirits will enjoy the outing. Your leg, probably not so much. I know Starbucks can get crowded but, if possible, try to sit somewhere you can elevate your leg, on a bench or another chair.

It might be a good idea to get your coffee in a takeaway cup, just in case you find you would prefer to leave quite quickly.
They got my ROM to 85 today! so that's good, goal is 120 to 130.(degrees). I don't think it was over 110 before surgery , gonna ask her to review good leg today.

Try not to get hooked up on the PTs' emphasis on ROM. Getting you to 120 may look good for the PT, but it doesn't have to be within a certain amount of time. Let your knee decide how long it takes.
It's still really early days in your recovery and ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a knee replacement, so there's no need to rush.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
[URL='https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/rom-its-never-too-late-to-get-more-rom.6185/']ROM: it's never too late to get more ROM!
[/URL]
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/myth-busting-the-window-of-opportunity-in-tkr.6895/
In any case, your knee won't bend properly until the swelling has gone down, because the swelling keeps it stiff.
It's not exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself.
[URL='https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/rom-its-never-too-late-to-get-more-rom.6185/'][/URL]
[URL='https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/rom-its-never-too-late-to-get-more-rom.6185/'][/URL]
 
You're still very early to be cutting back on pain meds. Don't worry too moften ch about them as you'll begin to forget you need them when the pain dissipates. Enjoy a latte!
 
You're still very early to be cutting back on pain meds. Don't worry too moften ch about them as you'll begin to forget you need them when the pain dissipates. Enjoy a latte!

Great I did and I will!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Glad to hear you are doing well post op.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do not like hospitals!!
You the rest of us do?? :heehee:
Working on strength, and ROM ( range of motion) of operated leg. Argue with PT that I do not plan to overdo the therapy, a swollen leg is not a healing leg. It's dangerous and uncalled for.
Good for you! Have you read your recovery articles, specially this one because you will see in the Activity progression article that it was a bit early for you to be going out to Starbucks! Tut tut! But I'm glad you enjoyed it anyway.

You should also read this one BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
Just wanna bend my leg up and curl up.
I know you do but it will come in time.

It's not the exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. One thing that seems to be missing from all the PT's protocols is that all your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself. In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Thanks @Josephine, I stayed in Car she got the Latte.

PT was here , we went through exercises like the heel slide, and some simple stretches, I am at 90 and zero, good progress I suppose , swelling has lessened, trying to walk better with crutches and or the walker, straighter standing stride is what she is going for, makes sense.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom