Guest viewing is limited

PKR Mikes new knee 28 November, 2016

Update
So it is almost 2 weeks post op, felt good most days last week, until I let the PT come in and work me pretty hard Thursday. That can not happen again, had two painful nights. She is scheduled to come tomorrow, I will either cancel or insist she keep it very low key.
So I have spent time reading everyone's stories and have been very inspired on the decent folks on here helping others, and helping us from making mistakes that others have, causing us harm , pain, and setbacks.
Thank you all

Here is the question:
So I ice and elevate all the time, do my heel slides and ankle twists, walk on my crutches around the house as much as I can ( too cold outside right now , 10 degrees F), but when I try to sit at a table for 30 minutes or so it is excruciating, my foot gets numb and leg stiff.
Is this going to last indefinitely or am I doing something wrong?
I had my surgery on the 28th of November

Thanks again everyone for your unselfish help


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
What you're experiencing is normal. You're still very early in recovery, it might be another month before you can sit at a table to eat with your leg down. I always kept my leg elevated or at least propped up for the first few months. There were minutes that I let the leg down, but after ten minutes my leg would swell and become incredibly tight and painful. If you want to sit at a table put your leg up on another chair. At two weeks the majority of your time is spent icing, elevating, resting. I ate in my chair with my leg up until 4 weeks.
 
It was several weeks before I could sit with my leg down for any length of time at all. It is probably the swelling making it stiff and numb. If I were you, I would keep it elevated whenever you are sitting at least in a recliner or on a footstool. If you want to sit at the table for a meal, maybe you could put your foot up on another chair. It does get better. It just takes time.
 
Ok thanks, wanted to make sure it was normal


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Physical therapist was here today, oh boy, she was mad, I said all the extra knee lifts and stuff need to stop.
I get discharged from home service next tuesday when i get to see the os.
She was well the surgeon ordered this , he will push you, I said i dont care, I can handle him, I said he still runs marathons and stuff, what doe he know ? i want to heal and get back to work some day, so may, not spend two nights in pain after each session. She says well take more oxy, I said no, I will heal naturally stretch lightly and walk as much a I Can . She called the os office, checkd my Rom and left, barely
Touched me, Rom was 87, I had been sleeping just woke upp when she came


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Good for you! It can be a hard stand to take, but I think it may be a little easier in your own home.
 
glad you were able to stand up for yourself, I offended my surgeon after all my issues. They seem to think they are beyond doing anything wrong when caring for their patients. To say the least next yr, when I need a 1 yr follow up I will be seeing someone different. When you cause another person undo pain, or are slow, or unapproachable to your patient when theirs a issues it's time to find someone new.
 
Sorry your therapist wasn't very nice. Never mind. It's your knee, not hers, and it's your right to decide how it is treated. Well done for speaking up to look after your knee.
 
I found this online, a nicely done blog by a PT broken link removed: https://www.totalkneereplacementexercises.com/


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Sorry your therapist wasn't very nice. Never mind. It's your knee, not hers, and it's your right to decide how it is treated. Well done for speaking up to look after your knee.

Thanks she said they wer e taking it easy me lo


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I found this online, a nicely done blog by a PT broken link removed: https://www.totalkneereplacementexercises.com/
Most of the article is quite sensible, but the PT doesn't mention icing your knee at all. And, naturally, coming from a PT, there is emphasis on "doing your exercises."
 
You are doing great at making sure that your PT stop hurting you. My OS told me not to do anything that hurt after my revision and I followed the Bonesmart mantras. I did go to outpatient PT but I limited what I would do and never allowed the PT to touch my leg at all. I did even better than my OS had predicted I would.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ice is mentioned in the above article. but only weeks 1-3. So it is not emphasized at all.
 
Surgery update
Work:
Plan to go in wednesday for owners meeting and lunch with team, return to work limited 1/2/17
Doctor next tuesday
Driving., next tuesday?
Wife:
She said , I'm going shopping for away to get outa house, I said take me, she said I'm going to get away from you, i said thats fine,I will drive myself, she said i hid your keys!
Darn


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Pt today, Let her push me, been getting on bike downstairs a little bit everyday.
Rom was 95 and -5 so improving


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@mwetzel394

Sounds like you are doing really well!! I'm glad you are standing your ground with PT. I'm pretty sure I won't be going back to outpatient PT when I'm done with home therapy for this one. Too much stress and aggression.

You are way braver than I am...I haven't been outside since Dec. 2!!! Not in any rush just yet. Plus, work already after the New Year? Hopefully you can ice and elevate while you work.

Jen
 
@mwetzel394

Sounds like you are doing really well!! I'm glad you are standing your ground with PT. I'm pretty sure I won't be going back to outpatient PT when I'm done with home therapy for this one. Too much stress and aggression.

You are way braver than I am...I haven't been outside since Dec. 2!!! Not in any rush just yet. Plus, work already after the New Year? Hopefully you can ice and elevate while you work.

Jen

The post about my wife and driving was somewhat for humor, we did have the conversation, but i was not really gonna drive, yet! Lol.
I will see the Doctor and go from there, keep in mind i had a partial, so recovery is supposed to be a little quicker. We 'll see about work, kinda picturing taking late train in and early one home , they have good hc access and our job trailer is literally 100 feet from train station at Assembly row, will work in construction office, dont plan to go on site for a bit, but we do have 2 external elevators so that should be okay.
I have my own fridge in my office and ordered extra ice wraps,

So i sat at kitchen counter and helped wife with cookies, it was over an hour and no added swelling, so a higher chair seems to be the key, i am still getting the 2 am pains still, got up and iced at 12 am and again now, seems to help, how are you feeling Jen?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I have one more in home PT on monday, i plan to schedule 1 or 2 outpatient pts per week, to work on rom, on my terms but also, to improve gait and work at lessening the limp, what are you plans for Christmas!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
It's good to ask your PT to help with gait. THe exercises aren't as necessary.
It's not exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom