Guest viewing is limited

TKR Mickimouse’s Recovery Thread - Need Support

Good morning! Thank you for the follow up! No I have not called OS, my husband noted he feels I am trying to wean myself off too fast and that at my follow-up appointment a week ago PA did not think it was unusual to still be on the pain meds since I am not taking a lot. I am now trying to go 4 to 5 hrs taking 2.5 mgs and then 5 at bedtime with alternating Tylenol and Advil. I have noticed too that I have been pushing myself with PT. I so bored!!! 7th week and I feel having more pain than I was before. Stiffness, burning at incision area, aching and pinging pain. Weird my knee looks great, my message person saw me on Monday and couldn’t tell what knee was done, so am I freaking out too soon? Help!!!
 
I have noticed too that I have been pushing myself with PT. I so bored!!! 7th week and I feel having more pain than I was before. Stiffness, burning at incision area, aching and pinging pain.
Hi Mickimouse,
This may be your problem. Try dialing it back in your sessions and see if you notice a difference. If you're taking pain meds before PT, I'd advise you to reconsider doing that because it can mask the pain. Pain is your body's way of signaling your limits. If you don't feel discomfort you can easily overdo it and that can lead to injury or even setbacks. Something to consider. You can always ice after your PT sessions as a preventative measure to reduce inflammation and help minimize discomfort before it takes hold.
Have a wonderful Wednesday!
 
7th week and I feel having more pain than I was before.

Agree with Layla on this -- your body is telling you that you are doing more than it is ready to handle this early in recovery.

I know that 7 weeks seems like a long time, but the muscles, tendons and ligaments have not yet healed from the trauma they endured during surgery. In fact, it can take up to 12 weeks for them to recover.

Please listen to your body. Rather than pushing yourself, try cutting back for a few days and see if your pain improves.
 
Thank you! I keep thinking I am behind in the process with the pain…. This is exactly why BoneSmart and the forum group is sooo helpful!!
 
Could a lot of this discomfort and pings of pain be nerves and muscles regenerating? Hubby thinks this could be some of it….
 
Don’t be surprised if your knee looks great, but you still have some pain when you overdo things a bit. The knee compartment is very small and it doesn’t take much internal swelling to result in pain. You might not see any difference at all when just looking at your knee.

Sharp jabs of pain that come and go quickly can be nerves reconnecting, so that’s possible. It wouldn’t be anything to do with muscle regeneration or strengthening. At this stage you shouldn’t be doing much in the way of strengthening exercises since your body is still healing. It is easy to do too much in these early weeks of recovery. Get together with your hubby and brainstorm some ways to help you relieve boredom. Perhaps some short trips in the car to a park or lunch out? Having a friend over for a visit? Doing some organizing or purging for spring cleaning (something you can do while sitting at a table or desk)?
 
Ugh, well as you can tell by the time stamp I am having one of those sleepless nights…. My legs and feet have been so restless….i seem to be going backwards and not forwards the past week or so. I’ve cut back on my PT workouts, so I don’t think it’s from over doing? I will have a whole 2 months under my belt come April 10 and I wish I could remember where I was at with pain/ being uncomfortable then. My ROM is great compared to last knee, but I don’t remember not being further along with the pain and stiffness….any thoughts? Is it really too soon?
 
Hello and Happy Monday, Mickimouse!
I am sorry you had a sleepless night. The pain, stiffness and restless legs and feet are all within the realm of normal at only 7 weeks post op. Nerves are healing and it can lead to tingling / burning, restless sensations in legs and feet. Also swelling can affect our circulation and that can also lead to the restless legs especially at night. Then there is the possibility of too much, or too little movement which can also contribute to that discomfort. For these reasons, I think it's too soon to expect to be pain free and have no stiffness and do remember that even if you feel your first recovery seemed better, no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person.

If you haven't already, consider Magnesium.
Magnesium Glycinate supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)


An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

My mom found relief from restless legs and cramping through drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine. If you try this, read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.

I hope you're able to catch a good nap today if you're tired and some restorative rest overnight. Great news on your ROM...you're on your way...even though it may not feel like it some days. :wink:
I wish you a great week! :SUNsmile:
@Mickimouse
 
My ROM is great compared to last knee, but I don’t remember not being further along with the pain and stiffness….any thoughts? Is it really too soon?
Yes! You are still very early days in this year-long recovery. Pain and stiffness can -- and often do -- continue for months. Please try not to compare this to recovery with your other knee. Every knee is different -- even two knees in the same person. (I can testify to that from personal experience; my second knee recovery was nothing like my first.)

What's more, this recovery is not a straight line. Remember this graphic:

[Bonesmart.org] AJ’s LHS THR


This recovery really does require a lot of patience. The fact that your ROM is good at two months is a great predictor of your future recovery.
 
Thanks for the support and ideas! I started taking magnesium glycinate last eeek, can’t tell if helping yet? Should it have started helping? I am going to the store later today so I will pickup the tonic water with quinine to try as well! I think I am more anxious this time to get better than the last because I have the other knee to compare to….but I agree they are different! Have a good day everyone!
 
It might help if you read through your whole thread to see how far you’ve really come. But frankly, what you’re experiencing is totally normal for the early months of recovery. Most people don’t begin to feel really normal again until at least the 6 month mark. Hang in there!! It is not an easy surgery and recovery to go through. The best course of action is to continue to go slow enough that you don’t cause significant pain, swelling, or stiffness. You need movement during the day every day, but real strengthening comes after at the 3-4 month mark.
 
Should it have started helping?
My understanding is that the timeline to achieve the desired effect has to do with your current magnesium levels, the dosage you're taking, and how your body absorbs it.
If your level is low, it may take longer. Magnesium Glycinate is supposedly best for muscle relaxation and I believe easier on the intestinal tract than other forms. If the overnight is the worst time for you, I'd take it in the evening, before bed and stay consistent rather than taking it sporadically. Best Wishes!
 
Has anyone have their scar bother them years after their TKR? I had my right knee done in June 2022 and my scar still feels tight and sensitive….my massage person said it doesn’t feel like scar tissue….if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated! Pants seem to irritate it and cold weather…. Of course my left knee I had done in February is still healing, but if there is something I can do to ward off this weird sensation would be helpful! I am using vitamin e oil on both… thanks!
 
Hi Mickimouse,
There are some members that still have sensitivity in the area of their incision even years post op. My colleague @Jockette is one and I have tagged her to share any useful tips she has.
From what I've read, it is not uncommon for incision scars to remain somewhat tight or sensitive, especially if nerve healing wasn't complete.

You might want to try gently massaging the area and it may soften the scar tissue and reduce sensitivity over time.
Using lotion or a scar cream may help also.

There are also techniques used to desensitize the area such as gradually exposing the area to different textures, starting with soft fabrics, then slowly introducing other fabrics. The theory is it may help "train" your nerves to be less reactive. Using a light massage tool or soft brush may help, but be very gentle if you try this method.

If pants rubbing against the scar cause irritation switch to softer more breathable fabrics and some type of barrier such as a silicone gel sheet which will reduce friction and the resulting sensitivity.

Hopefully you're able to give some of these suggestions a dedicated try and it brings comfort and relief.
Please keep us posted and have a great Sunday!
@Mickimouse
 
My knee’s sensitivity is not the incision area, it’s deep inside. I’m sorry, but I have not found anything to help, other than to avoid the things that bother it, which is not always possible.
 
The ideas Layla gave you are the best ways to try and desensitize your scar area. You’re already massaging with oil, which is another helpful thing to do but it takes time. Even though it’s been years, it may still eventually stop being so noticeable.

It’s possible that this won’t happen at all with your latest TKR. Each surgery is different. There are nerves in the area where the surgeon is working and if any were cut during your first TKR, they should have regenerated by now. But even if they did “hook up” properly, it’s still possible to have unusual sensations for an extended period of time.

There are tests that can be done to see if you have any nerve damage, but I wouldn’t recommend that unless the sensations were truly unbearable. I wouldn’t try desensitizing the are gradually and see if that works.
 
Good morning….i am having a really emotional and sad morning this knee is aching and hurting I would say a 7/8 on the pain scale. It will be 2 months tomorrow and I thought I would be a lot better than I am now. To my disappointment I am still taking oxy, albeit cutting down ( 7 mgs per day), trying not to use the cane, but still needing it at times. The only positive is my ROM is pretty good (115, -1), at least I am told it’s good for where I am at… any words of encouragement l, advice?! From the outside the knee looks great, but sure is stiff, achy and pings of pain STILL…..
 
Oh yes, stiff, achy (sometimes), pings of pain - I love that expression. The most helpful thing for me is to dwell more on where there is definite improvement. That helps me accept that the rest of it will come, albeit more slowly than I would like. I like your Westie, by the way!
 
I am sorry Mickimouse that you're feeling emotional and sad. Please know that it's not uncommon especially after a major surgery such as TKR. Since you are progressing, I am wondering if you notice an increase in pain after certain activity or PT? If so, you're likely dealing with irritated soft tissue and hopefully with rest, ice and stepping back from physical therapy it will ease. It's worth a try.

I believe using a cane at two months post op is within the normal range if your strength and balance aren't feeling up to par. Given more time, your muscles will adjust and strengthen.

Dealing with pain and a recovery that's not meeting your expectations can wear you down emotionally. If you feel the pain is chronic after you've taken measures to eliminate possible causes such as overactivity or PT, consider contacting the office of your OS for advice or reassurance. I hope you find relief soon. :console2:Hugs!
@Mickimouse
 
@Mickimouse I am 4 months tkr and 1 month mua. At 2 months felt the symptoms you are experiencing and was taking 30mg codeine (when my stomach allowed) and using a crutch. My surgeon advised whatever I needed was the way forward. To stand to cook was horrendous, had to keep having rests as with many other things. Your flexion is excellent, I didn't have that hence mua and now much improvement. Now at 4 months, thinking back to where you are, I couldn't envisage progress, but it does happen. As many of us have said, this is an incredibly long journey and seems stretched out. Our mantra can only be patience and that is really hard when your head is way out in front of your body. Good old ice, rest is certainly our key to reaching our target. Long, long journey, some days a plod. Stay positive, hate to say that cause I was sick of hearing it but we have to. Xx
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom