TKR Mickimouse’s Recovery Thread - Need Support

Wow, @Mickimouse! That is amazing ROM for less than a month post-op! With numbers like that, there is no need to push. You are doing really well.

Glad to hear your new PT is a sensible one!
 
Yay for Adam! It sounds like you met a perfect match to guide you in your recovery. No need to beat yourself up, you're so early into the healing process and you're doing great!

We appreciate your sweet sentiment in regard to the forum and thank you for joining us in support of the community. Wishing you continued progress and success.
A great weekend to you, Mickimouse!
@Mickimouse
 
Hi all! I just started to have a burning/ tightness where my incision is…. When flexing the top really is painful burning….everything looks good…. Any thoughts? Thanks!
 
I suspect you still have some internal swelling. I suggest when you feel the burning and/or tightness that you ice your knee and take something for the pain. Scale back on your exercises so that you keep inflammation minimized. You can pick them back up when the pain is lessened. All you need are gentle bends and stretches each day to keep your knee mobile. Also watch how much you’re doing each day in terms of activity. If you’re running errands, doing household chores, those things are physical therapy as well as any exercising.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Mickimouse.
I hope a few days of rest and icing has helped ease the burning and tightness near your incision.
Wishing you a pain free week. :)
@Mickimouse
 
1 month closer to being pain free! I just forgot what a roller coaster this recovery is …. You read most articles etc and they say should be off pain meds by week 4, well that is not happening for me….I have 1 more weeks worth of oxy then I don’t know what will happen…Tylenol just doesn’t help me….just keep hoping that this week will be a little less painful
 
If you cannot get a refill for the Oxycodone and still need more than Tylenol, check to see if either your surgeon or GP will prescribe Tramadol for you. It’s not an opioid and you can use it with Extra Strength Tylenol.
 
Yes I have a feeling next week at 1 st appt after surgery that is what will be prescribed. My last TkR I had oxy almost 2 months, then onto Tramadol for 3 weeks, then off of all pain meds that I can see in my notes….hearing others that are off the pain meds at 4 weeks gets me anxious and sad that I am not progressing. It’s something even though this is my second time around how much anxiety I am having about recovery…..and being blue, all of sudden crying….. ugh
 
hearing others that are off the pain meds at 4 weeks gets me anxious and sad that I am not progressing. It’s something even though this is my second time around how much anxiety I am having about recovery…..and being blue, all of sudden crying….. ugh
I'm so sorry that you are feeling down -- but you are not alone either in the need for pain relief or feeling blue.

Pain relief is really important to recovery and many of us were still taking pain meds regularly at one month post-op, so please don't feel that there is anything wrong with the fact that you need them.

We are all different and every knee is a unique recovery. Don't compare yourself with anyone else.

And, remember that post-op "blues" are normal after any major surgery. As a reminder, check out this article.
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

You are doing well for such early days in recovery, @Mickimouse. We're here for you!
 
:thankyou:Thank you for understanding! This is why BoneSmart forum is so valuable to be a part of because when you are getting down, anxious or have questions, this is a wonderful place to go!!!
 
Well one of my fears has reared its ugly head…. I hav Achilles tendonosis ( degenerative) and had it under control before surgery but starting to have symptoms, . I started on the cane yesterday and walked a lot so in the evening lower calf, bottom of heel hurt. I guess I’m asking if anyone has any advice?
 
Hi Mickimouse,
The symptoms may be from changes in gait as your walking pattern has changed while dealing with knee pain and stiffness, putting extra strain on the Achilles. Or, if you've been pushing activity at all the tendon may be slow to adapt. Footwear can also contribute if your shoes are unsupportive, or new. I'd avoid excessive walking or standing right now, especially on hard surfaces gradually building rather than pushing through any pain. Hopefully icing after activity to reduce inflammation helps. Try any gentle stretches you were given when diagnosed also. My achilles can tighten up at times and the standing calf stretches seem to help me. I'm sorry you're dealing with this so early into your TKR recovery. I hope taking some gentle measures brings you speedy relief. :console2:
@Mickimouse
 
Sorry you have to deal with this, @Mickimouse! I agree with Layla that this flare-up is probably the result in your gait change. I had a similar problem post-op and my therapist told me to stop walking around barefoot and to wear supportive, well-cushioned shoes, even in the house.

Hope it clears up with a few days of rest.
 
Yes I have been dealing with the Achilles tendon problem since my last TKR….but had it sort of under control…. Yes can never go barefoot…. I’m just freaking out cause my goal was to be able to walk 2 miles! I just can’t stop crying…..I thought I was doing so good this time around and would be smooth sailing. So disappointed ☹️
 
Unfortunately our previous weaknesses often flare up after this surgery when it is even harder to manage them.
Can you tolerate non- steroidal anti inflammatory drugs? I found Naproxen helped manage my back issues whilst I recovered from my PKR
 
@Mickimouse …. It’s great to have the goal of being able to walk 2 miles. But you need to temper a goal like that with the realities of time required for recovery. You are only a month out from surgery. Most people at this stage are doing good to just be walking around the house with activities of daily living and maybe a short errand out now and then. Please be sure you’re not trying to do too much too soon. And know that it’s common to feel frustrated and have the “blues” for the first few months after surgery. It will pass, but you have to work on patience. You are doing just fine….honest!
 
@Mickimouse
I understand.... Walking more miles than I had in years was a key goal for me going into surgery....
But a long term goal can't be what we focus on early in recovery!
It's tracking the tiny improvements and milestones that's important. They add up to eventually reaching the long term goal.

For me the milestones on walking were... Walking with a cane indoors. Walking briefly in the community with a walker, then a cane. Standing tall with my cane and taking a walk probably 1/8 mile. Then 1/4 mile.

I can now walk a brisk 3 miles without a problem. But how I got there was accepting each evolving limitation on the way.
 
Hi Mickimouse,
I'm sorry you're feeling the way you are. :console2: Recovering from TKR is a challenge on its own and adding an Achilles issue makes it even tougher. Remember though that healing isn't linear and just because you're not where you hoped to be yet, doesn't mean you won't get there. For the time being, try to focus on the progress you've made. Every bit of movement, each step, every little victory is progress. You'll get to those two miles, but maybe on a different timeline than you planned...and that's okay. Adjust your goals, show yourself some grace and don't give up. You'll get through this!
@Mickimouse
 
Hi BoneSmart Friends! Going into my 6 weeks, PT and surgeon say I am doing good….i sure don’t feel like it, but my question is, from experiences with the BoneSmart forum, when do most get off their pain meds? I am still on oxy, my surgeon says it’s early to be worried about getting off and I sure don’t feel ready! I am taking a total of 10 mgs per day, I sure could use more but trying to get off…. Any advice, suggestions!? Thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom