Guest viewing is limited

TKR Mickimouse’s Recovery Thread - Need Support

Hi Mickimouse,
It's good you're in contact with your OS over this as he has your medical records and is the one who examined and spent time assessing your progress. As you continue to heal, regain ROM, feel more confident moving about your daily routine, and your pain lessens, you'll likely be able to wean off the Opioids. Make use of ice and continue gentle exercises and stretches. Listen to your body, you will know when it's time. Healing is a slow journey and can't be rushed. Stay in touch with your OS and if the Opioids concern you, ask him to suggest pain management alternatives to Opioids.
A great weekend to you! :SUNsmile:
@Mickimouse
 
Mickimouse, How are you taking that 10mg per day of oxycodone? Perhaps I can suggest some alterations in your schedule that might help you feel better about starting to wean off, if that’s what you’d like to try. The idea would be to be to start substituting something else for those times when you need pain relief. There are lots of options besides opioid medications. That said, your current dose is pretty mild and if you still need that level of pain relief, then there isn’t anything wrong with continuing to use it. The idea is to keep pain under control so that swelling an inflammation are minimized. When you take your medications an how much you supplement with icing can make a difference.

Tell me also when your pain is better and when it’s worse during the day and night. And where is the pain?
 
Hi! Thanks for all suggestions! My pain is differently worse at night that’s when I take 5 mgs of oxy! I also have been taking 600 mgs of Advil 3xs a day which my OS said was fine cause Tylenol does nothing for me….i am also starting to get pings of pain, some of them wake me up at night …. This is rather new, I was just feeling uncomfortable but now again pings of pain …..
 
Are you pretty comfortable during the day? It’s pretty routine to have pain at night because you are lying so still for a long time. You might try icing your knee through the night either with an ice machine or gel packs on front and back of the knee.

The Advil is okay, but it’s not usually very good for pain. When you tried Tylenol, did you take 1000mg at a time? The 650 Arthritis Tylenol or 500mg of Extra Strength Tylenol doesn’t do much for joint replacement pain.
 
Yes my pain is worse at night… I do ice during the night. I do my stretches twice a day so a half hour before I take 2.5 mg of oxy and then 5 mg before bed. As for Tylenol, I was taking 1000 mgs every 4 to 6 hours. Advil seems to work better for me. It’s really something that this replacement is so different from my first one. Anyway, thanks for the advice!
 
You were doing the Tylenol just right then. The only other thing I can suggest is that you try taking a 1000mg dose of Tylenol with your Advil right before bed. They do work well together and this might help.
 
Hi BoneSmart Friends! Going into my 6 weeks, PT and surgeon say I am doing good….i sure don’t feel like it, but my question is, from experiences with the BoneSmart forum, when do most get off their pain meds? I am still on oxy, my surgeon says it’s early to be worried about getting off and I sure don’t feel ready! I am taking a total of 10 mgs per day, I sure could use more but trying to get off…. Any advice, suggestions!? Thanks!

I quit taking them after 2 weeks. Was taking 10-15 mg. Oxy per day.
 
Think I need to start back on the Tylenol/ Advil routine…. Along with the reduced oxy… been having a hell of a time with pain the last few days/nights …. Gosh at 6 weeks thought I would be better in that way since I did ok right after the surgery….this recovery is so frustrating
 
this recovery is so frustrating
Yes, it certainly can be.
You're somewhere in that tangled mess that reflects "reality" in the drawing below.
You are normal, cold comfort, I know, so sending a hug and wishing you lots of comfort today, MM. :console2:

[Bonesmart.org] Mickimouse’s Recovery Thread - Need Support
 
Think I need to start back on the Tylenol/ Advil routine…. Along with the reduced oxy… been having a hell of a time with pain the last few days/nights
I was on and off, on and off with the pain relief meds for the first few months of my recovery. I think it really is normal. If you look at the Reality side of Layla's chart, though, the good news is that it does eventually straighten out.

Sending hugs :console2:
 
Patience is the one thing we all need in recovery and often the hardest one to find. You are still in the early stages of recovery. It is an up and down path but slow and steady will get you there so be kind to yourself and this too will pass.
 
Yep…I think we all can relate to the frustration of “those” days! Find a way to pamper yourself today and it might help. Call a friend, sit outside if the weather permits, allow yourself a special meal you really love, take a long nap, read a book you’ve been meaning to get to, binge watch something really fun on TV….the possibilities are endless.
 
Believe it or not, during my recovery, I played video games. Not the 'shoot em up' kind, but the building of towns, cities, etc. This activity helped me to concentrate on something and helped to get my mind off of my discomfort. (Because of the brain-fog, reading wasn't much help). I sat in the recliner with my leg on my Lounge Doctor and the ice machine's baffle wrapped around my knee. I think the combination of these things helped me to wean off of the Oxy better. My step-down meds were the Tramadol/Tylenol regime that we recommend.
 
I have been doing puzzles ( short periods of siting and standing) and crossword puzzles which helps….. And following the advice of BoneSmart to not to overdue PT…..this time around I am following that advice and having satisfactory results! Flexion 116, extension -2 which for me is good compared to first leg……
 
:hi: Happy Tuesday!
The jigsaw and crossword puzzles are a great idea, Mickimouse!
If you get bored, here are a few more ideas for the early weeks of recovery -
Adult coloring books. Researching / planning a getaway for when you’re feeling better. Watch old movies, play online games, search up new recipes for your collection if you like to cook. Read a book, page through magazines. Call an old friend, catch up on emails, invite someone over for coffee and dessert. Arrange a lunch away from home with someone.

It's wonderful to read you're taking it slow and easy and it's working for you. Keep up the good work and have a lovely day!
@Mickimouse
 
@Mickimouse … we do have some simple games here on the forum in the Community area (link at the top of the page). These are available for our Insiders Club members. You can even start a new game in that forum, if you would like to.
 
I have 10 more pills left then that’s it….don't know what I am going to do. Making me stressed that I won’t be out of pain
Hi Mickimouse, I am sorry that you're dealing with pain and stressed at the thought of running out of meds.
I suggest you contact your surgeon's office before you're completely out, they may have advice for you on how to adjust meds, suggest alternatives or give guidance on tapering off. You can also discuss non-opioid options, like NSAIDS for one. Make use of icing, routinely, if you're not already and hopefully it will help also.
I wish you the best. Please keep us posted, we're here for you!
 
Good Morning Mickimouse,
Have you contacted your surgeon's office in regard to your prescription and if so, did you have any luck?
You noted this past Saturday you were having some difficulty with pain. I do hope you were able to speak to someone about this. :fingersx:
@Mickimouse
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom