Guest viewing is limited

TKR Mickimouse’s Recovery Thread - Need Support

Hi Mickimouse,
Your situation is not unusual at this early date. No fun though. I hope after taking the Oxy and getting more sleep you're off to a better start today. Try not to let these twists and turns along the way get you down. It's normal...they happen. I hope you have a pain free peaceful day and a Happy Easter if you celebrate.
@Mickimouse
 
Happy Easter! A lot of pain with the knee cap and Achilles…I am so sad because I usually have Easter , going to my son but a lot of pain, I don’t know what happened…. I am going to have to take meds…. I am somewhat concerned . Went to church and dinner yesterday, maybe all the standing at church?
 
Your making great progress. Remember you've driven and been to the store. On top of that you've been to church and out to eat. In your mind that isn't a lot, but for a brand new baby knee it's a whole lot of activity.

I know you know the recovery takes time - let your knee have the time it needs to recover. I know you want to blow and go, and I'm glad that you want to do that - but I'm afraid your knee just isn't up to that level of activity yet. Notice I said yet. It will be, just not now. You'll get there.
 
1/2 a dose at your early stage of recovery is really not bad at all. Overall, you are doing well. Your rollercoaster ride is completely normal.
 
Hello and Happy Monday Mickimouse,
I hope you had a lovely time with family spending Easter at your sons. Hopefully even putting your feet up as you took a well deserved break from hosting this year, after all you've recently been through. With any luck your knee and Achilles is feeling better today? Please let us know how you're doing.
Take good care!
@Mickimouse
 
Hi Layla, it was a very nice day here in Northeast Ohio so we ate outside! Very nice visit but after 6 hours I was hurting so bad, took oxy… my hubby thank the Lord had brought an ice pack. Pain level was 7-8! I did record what I had done the past few days and I over did! Even though for me it didn’t seem like it…And using toilets outside of my house they sit so low I think my knee said that’s it, enough! Of course I am so upset that now I am back stepping in the process. Today, except for a bit of walking around the house I am elevating, and icing! I am praying I can get back on track hope you had a wonderful weekend and thank you for checking in! I wanted to post this morning but didn’t want to be a cry baby, but I am, lol…
 
You're not a cry baby and don't worry about venting here, it's safe and if anyone understands the ups and downs of recovery...we do! You're lucky you were able to eat outside yesterday, I was hoping for that for my family and I but it was gray and drizzling, it was okay though because family time with the kids and grands is the best and precious no matter the weather! Today is put the house back in together day though, insert groan :groan:
using toilets outside of my house they sit so low I think my knee said that’s it, enough!
Kind of scary too! Glad you had the Oxy and ice on board yesterday...smart move! I hope with rest, elevation and icing today you feel better tomorrow. :friends:
 
it was a very nice day here in Northeast Ohio
I lived in Parma for 7 years, it’s just south of Cleveland. Beautiful area, and I loved all the metro parks!

And using toilets outside of my house they sit so low I think my knee said that’s it, enough!
Been there, done that! At 4 months post op I visited friends for a weekend. It was awful, and the multiple times a day I had to do stairs in their house. It’s nice to visit others, but, there’s no place like home!
 
I just hope I didn’t damage anything? Really sore above my knee cap….. happy to hear you had your family yesterday!!! I too need to take down decorations, but NOT today!!!!! :no-fin:
 
Hi Jockette! We live in Aurora, but our son and daughter in law live in Seven Hills, so right next door to Parma!
 
It would take a lot more than overdoing things to actually damage your implant. You’ve just irritated tender tissues and are doing the right thing by stepping back a little so they can recover. Sometimes our soft tissues don’t heal as fast as we think they should, but….they are always the ones in charge of the recovery program. It is our job to listen to those little “it’s too much for right now” messages and respond correctly rather than trying to push through an activity or exercise. You’ll get there….patience is the hardest part of recovery.
 
I am in so much pain above my knee I can’t bend my leg without such tight pain….i am icing, and will take some oxy…. But very concerned…. I did nothing yesterday but walk around my house when needed…. this is more pain than I have experienced since surgery…. Can anyone relate?
 
I still suspect it’s inflammation and swelling from the overactivity from a few days ago. Are you just taking pain medication when it really hurts? That isn’t a good way to deal with post-op pain. You need to be taking something on a schedule. Rather than the Oxycodone, I suggest trying Extra Strength Tylenol on a schedule of 1000mg every 6 hours. Just be sure you aren’t taking any other meds with acetaminophen in them as that schedule is the maximum daily dose of 4000mg. You can also add an NSAID with the Tylenol, also on a set schedule if you can take NSAIDs. This ensures you always have some medication in your body when needed and should help reduce the inflammation in a week or two.

But, if the pain continues to get worse even with taking something on a schedule, it would be best to contact your surgeon for a consultation.
 
I haven’t been consistent with the Tylenol or Advil therapy…. Will get back on track with that….
 
Good Morning Mickimouse, I hope you slept well and you're feeling better this morning.
You're only a little over two months into the healing process of a recovery that can take a full year for most. Recovery varies too from person to person, so it's difficult somedays if you're reading here and it looks like others are blowing past you. It sounds like you have a lot of swelling and not only can that flare from overactivity, but also from sitting or standing too long. You mentioned there was church, standing a lot, and going to your sons. Maybe too much, too soon? It's a delicate balance and not always easy finding that sweet spot. If the pain you're experiencing is sharp, sudden, or worsening, or if there's heat, redness or what you recognize as unusual swelling, it may be worth checking in with your OS. Otherwise I wish you comfort as you rest, ice / elevate and ride it out. :console2:Please keep us posted.
@Mickimouse
 
At only 2-ish months post op any overdo session can take longer to settle down than we expect.

I did record what I had done the past few days and I over did! Even though for me it didn’t seem like it…

I suggest trying Extra Strength Tylenol on a schedule of 1000mg every 6 hours. Just be sure you aren’t taking any other meds with acetaminophen in them as that schedule is the maximum daily dose of 4000mg. You can also add an NSAID with the Tylenol, also on a set schedule if you can take NSAIDs.
I did what Jamie suggested. I took Tylenol every 6 hours, 4 times a day, which meant a dose during the night, and I also took ibuprofen every 6 hours, but just during the day, so I had 3 doses of ibuprofen in a 24 hour period. I staggered them so that I was taking one or the other every 3 hours. It didn’t make me pain free, but it did help,
 
[Bonesmart.org] Mickimouse’s Recovery Thread - Need Support
 
Good afternoon….thank you for the graphs, it was interesting to see the lower you catch the pain the better to manage it! well the knee is letting me do some walking and PT, but I am being very careful what and how much I am doing….knee is better but not great, again area above knee hurts and I can feel it is swollen, however to look at it, seems ok again still sore to do certain movements. I sent a picture of my knee to my OS, and he said it looked fine and that pain is part of the process so he didn’t seem alarmed….its very hard for me to rein myself in and not do too much, but boy oh boy, the pain is a great reminder to take it easy.
 
I sent a picture of my knee to my OS, and he said it looked fine and that pain is part of the process so he didn’t seem alarmed…
Unfortunately, at this time post op, some pain is still par for the course. The knee/leg is still healing and is still very sensitive. :console2:
 
Back
Top Bottom