Guest viewing is limited

TKR Mickimouse’s Recovery Thread - Need Support

Hi Mickimouse! It's good to hear from you. I hope you're enjoying the Summer. :SUNsmile:
Different surgery, different knee, different timeline so try not to be tempted to compare or worry that you're not meeting goals from your previous recovery.

It's all about respecting your limitations right now since your knee is in charge and still healing...even though it may appear fine on the outside. As you know, pushing too hard can set you back more than it helps, so try to be patient with yourself, better days are still coming. Happy Saturday!
@Mickimouse
 
Hi Friends! Again a bit concerned about the pain/soreness I am having in the area of my kneecap….i have reached out to my OS and they feel it is too soon to be worried but said I could come in for and X-ray and visit, but felt it not necessary. Let me ask this question…. I quit smoking for this surgery haven’t gone back but gaining weight, so I have been pushing my walking to 9,000 to 10,000 steps a day… too much? On September 10 it will be a full 7 months. Any thoughts? I started icing and elevating more but don’t see improvement yet….

Thanks!
 
Hello and Happy Tuesday!
Possibly the 9000-10,000 steps per day is too aggressive for you at this point. You may want to try scaling it back, then slowly adding steps if you're not dealing with pain the next day. Soft tissue is still healing at 7 months. Wondering if you purchased new shoes post op for the best support? Worn out shoes or shoes lacking enough support could be the reason for the pain. Also, not sure if you're still icing for any swelling or pain, but it's not to late, so please do so if you're not already. Since you checked in with your OS's office and they aren't concerned, try not to worry and if conservative methods don't bring relief, you can always check in with them again.
Best Wishes Mickimouse!
@Mickimouse
 
Thank you for your thoughts! I have bought new shoes at surgery and just bought a new pair recently. It could be I am just pushing too hard….i am going to cut back on the steps, ice more regularly and see if the pain subside by next week….if not I will make an appointment….
 
Another suggestion: Don't try to walk the same number of steps every day. After you do a 9,000-step day, take the next day off to recover. That doesn't mean not to move; but just stick with ADLs and skip the long walks.

My physical therapist recommended this approach to me for my second TKR recovery and I found it really helpful.
 
Do you know if your surgeon placed a patellar button in your surgery?
 
No Jamie i don’t know about the patellar button…,
 
I started reading about the patella button and complications and I am worried…. I guess I better make an appointment….. I just thought I was over doing walking… now I am very concerned
 
Try not to worry. I wasn’t asking because I thought that was what the problem might be. I actually think if you scale back your activity for a while things will improve. That’s definitely the more common problem.
 
@Mickimouse Can you tell us why are you concerned?

I have a patella button in one knee but not in the other and I don't feel any difference when I walk or move. It was used on the right knee only because I had severe wear on the underside of the patella and resurfacing was needed.

I encourage you to cut back on the walking and give your knee time to recover from overdoing it. I'll bet you will notice a difference.
 
Thanks benne68! I did find out from my PT today that I do have a patella button but he does not think there is a problem with that my ROM today is still holding at 113 & extension -1. I made an appointment with my OS’ PA for next Tuesday, but I think everyone is right, too many steps too soon! Thank you everyone for responding! I will keep you all posted!!!!
 
I get the too many steps, after doing too many stairs on Monday.
I have 2 Patella buttons.
I stuck to the flat today and am improved tonight.
What we have to work out is optimal steps for you and stairs for me…
Tricky isn’t it.
Take care. :good-bad:
 
Yes very tricky, and very depressing……I was doing so well until I tried to walk more….i was ok using my recumbent bike, but walking made the knee hurt, stiff and feels like a big bruised area…..I met with my PT today and he feels I’ve been doing too much walking …..gosh it’s going on 7 months ugh!
 
gosh it’s going on 7 months ugh!
I know you've heard this before, so I'll whisper it this time :wink: ....You're ONLY seven months post op, so you're still healing. When you overdo it you can have stiffness, discomfort, fatigue, swelling. Your knee continues to heal internally. Overuse can trigger the negative effects you mentioned and I don't know that PT is your best bet if you're struggling with a setback, especially any aggressive physical therapy. You may want to sit it out with the old tried and true, rest and ice until you're feeling better...but that's up to you.
I hope you feel better soon, MM. :)
 
I’m glad to know you had the patella button. Not all surgeons feel the need to do that as a standard practice with knee replacements if they don’t see arthritis there during surgery. But….we see many times that a patient has to go back later and have the button placed, so I personally prefer the idea just to put it in initially and make sure all the compartments of the knee are taken care of at one time.

Knowing that you have the button helps reinforce the idea that you simply have overworked your knee. So, cutting back for a while is the way to go. Once your pain has reduced, you can then plan a measured and slower increase in your walking that will likely be much more successful. You just went too fast this time.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom