Guest viewing is limited

TKR Mickimouse’s Recovery Thread - Need Support

Thanks everyone for your patience and comments! My PT said today he thinks a lot of my hinderance is nervous system, getting too anxious about recovery…. But hearing from others that have been through this helps me mentally that I will get through this….. just not when I think I should be…the knee looks so good from the outside , I guess the inside just isn’t ready…..
 
You have a wise therapist.

An important part of a good recovery is allowing your brain to give over the control of your healing to your own body. We mean it when we say that everyone’s recovery is unique. Your body has its own time clock for these things and you cannot force or worry it into hurrying up. In fact (as you’ve found), that can often make things worse.

Don’t try to wean off pain meds too soon. If you are hurting, you need to take whatever relieves it best (at the lowest level, of course). Taking pain medications on a set schedule whether you hurt or not is best. That way you always have medicine in your system to deal with any pain that pops up. If you wait until you begin to hurt to take the meds, you have to play catch up and it actually takes more of your medication than if you just took it on a schedule. Your medication of choice can be a prescription pain med like the oxy, a step down prescription for something not quite as strong like Tramadol, or Extra Strength Tylenol taken in 1000mg doses.

Also, please keep using the cane until you are really strong enough not to need it. It’s a temporary aid, but using it allows your body to maintain proper alignment and movement as you get stronger. When you try and stop using it too soon, you will hesitate with your gait or worse…limp. This does you no good and actually slows your recovery.

Yes, your knee looks great from the outside, but there is still a lot of healing inside yet to go. And there is even more that must happen for your soft tissues to strengthen and stretch into your new body alignment. This surgery impacts your whole body and there are many things that must adjust and then strengthen. Your body will set this schedule for you. Your job is to give it the grace needed to heal properly.

You can do this. Your current ROM is great. The hardest part is always maintaining your patience with the process.
 
Hello and Happy Two Month Anniversary, Mickimouse!
I hope you're feeling relaxed and having a good day. You're right, you will get through this and it won't be long until it's not in the forefront of your mind. Have a great Friday and weekend! :)
@Mickimouse
 
Thanks Layla! Wish I felt more advanced in this process but need to stay positive and keep reminding myself that i am still in the early days of this process and not get down and frustrated….. I can’t wait to tell my BoneSmart friends I am off of pain meds, doing stairs and driving! Also pain at the kneecap is gone! Thanks again for thinking of me!!!
 
@Mickimouse …. These are HUGE accomplishments. Good for you! Keep thinking about how far you’ve come already when you start wondering why you’re still recovering. As you begin to feel better, the time should pass faster as you’re able to start doing things you enjoy. Most people notice a big change around the 6 month mark. I hope that’s the case for you as well.
 
Achy, achy, achy!!!! My entire leg….today is a full 9 weeks and I feel I have hit a plateau ugh….. still taking oxy, low doses (7.5 mgs per day) so no driving yet…..been walking a 1/3 mile a day….any words of encouragement?! Also, has anyone ever tried silicone tape in your incision?
 
@Mickimouse …. What does a typical day look like for you in terms of activity, exercise, and therapy. I have a hunch that you may be overdoing things and that’s resulting in the pain you’re experiencing. If you are doing exercises, please say what they are and how many reps and sets you do as well as how many times a day.
 
Hi Mickimoiuse,
I've never used silicone tape, but others have.
Here is a SEARCH on silicone tape so you're able to read threads where it was mentioned.

I'm so sorry you're achy. :console2:
Hopefully once you list your daily activity, we may be able to help figure out what may be contributing to your pain. :fingersx: Wishing you lots of comfort.
@Mickimouse
 
Typical day:
Morning - ride recumbent bike for 15 mins, 3 sets of 10 heel lifts, 3 sets of 10 1/2 squats, 10 seated leg raises with 5 sec hold, 15 leg raises in bed, 10 heel slides.

Walk outside or track at gym 1/3 mile

Afternoon - ride bike 15 mins, step up on 6” step 3 sets of 10, 10 seated leg raises with 5 sec hold, 15 leg raises on bed, 10 heel slides

Days where I have time I will ride the bike again…trying to get off some weight I’ve gained…

That’s my day!
 
It sounds to me like you’re doing too much, @Mickimouse. You’re still healing and the fact that you’re having pain indicates that your body is not ready for this level of exercise just yet. I know this probably doesn’t seem like too much, but it can be.

You didn’t mention any errands, household chores, or cooking in this. That counts as exercise too.

Since you are in pain, I suggest you cut back on all the exercise for at least a week and see how you do. Do the exercises once a day instead of twice. And split them up so that you’re doing the bike one day and the other exercises on an alternate day. If you’re not doing anything else during the day but either the bike or exercises, walking 1/3 mile is okay at some other time than the other activity. You need to walk around at least every 2 hours during the day from about 5 minutes, but the 1/3 mile may be more than you’re ready for. It is okay to cut that back too.
 
Yes, I have been doing some chores …. Yesterday we had company and I helped hubby get snacks etc together……so I agree doing too much right now…..it’s so hard for me to slow down, but I need to put that in my head, I am still healing even though it’s going on 3 months……
 
Roller coaster of a time physically and mentally…PT measured my ROM and it went down to 105, ugh….the therapists thinks it is more of a nerve thing from the brain and to try to start desensitizing myself, therefore he wants me to walk more, use the steps more and decrease the formal workout….of course I am so upset with my progress which I know isn’t good for recovery….any advice or can anyone relate? I have been crying a lot ugh……
 
Hi Mickimouse,
Big Hugs, :console2:I am sorry you're feeling down, but I don't think you need to be. You're not in a bad place, even if it feels like you are. You're within a healthy range for ongoing progress. Stay consistent with daily stretching, focus on your strength and mobility without pushing through pain. Your knee is still healing, you're not behind.
Your knee didn't come this far...to only come this far. So dry those tears, sweet lady, and pull up your bootstraps, I'm confident you have the strength and determination to do this. We're with you all the way! :ok:
Check this out -

[Bonesmart.org] Mickimouse’s Recovery Thread - Need Support

@Mickimouse
 
It is perfectly normal to be having a rollercoaster recovery, as is the fluctuation in your bend. Even if you can't recall doing anymore during the day, you might have while asleep. Some mornings I'd wake up with more pain and swelling. Very scary until I looked at my smartwatch and saw that I'd had a restless night. I didn't know I had, but my watch recorded it. Knowing that took my fear away. So, don't fret those up and down bends and swelling. We all do it.
 
A lower ROM number only means you have a bit more swelling at that moment, which is very normal.

It was also discussed earlier that you are/were doing quite a lot of exercises, which can maintain, or even increase, swelling, if your knee is not healed enough for that level of exercising. Consider cutting back on that amount of exercises and treat your knee gently. 2-ish months post op is still considered early days in this year long recovery.
 
A lower ROM measurement can also be related to how the person measures you. It’s not an exact science. We try not to focus on numbers but instead on things you can do with your knee. That’s why daily journal comments here in your recovery thread are important. If you record the little things you realize you can now do and then go back and read a couple of weeks of your posts frequently, you’ll see how you’re progressing. This whole recovery thing is a long series of small steps forward interspersed with some backward steps during the times we might overdo things a little. You’re just slightly over 2 months from surgery….very early in this process.
 
For the past 2 days I have not taken the Oxy, so there is progress, not to say I am not uncomfortable but not enough to have to take the Oxy! Therefore I drove to the store today!!! There’s some progress!!
 
Wonderful news!!!! Small steps are still forward movement. Making that first drive is always exciting.
 
Ugh, I ended up taking 1/2 dose of oxy at 5 am this morning…. thought I was done with it but knee acting up and need some sleep… I guess I got excited too soon
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom