Bilateral TKR Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I haven't been on my thread in a long time. I had my BTKR 18 months ago on Dec. 1st. I must say I'm still quite pleased with my decision to have them both done at once. That being said I must add that at 18 months out I still have some changes taking place. Mickey, my left knee, still has some underlying inflammation and stiffness occasionally, but it sure beats the bone on bone pain that I was getting before the replacements, so I will keep him.:) Minnie, my right knee, seems to have faired better than Mickey. No inflammation or stiffness, however she still has, and always will I suspect, scar tissue at the top part of the scar, which has no effect on my ROM, so I will keep her too!:) I don't plan on doing any leg commercials in the near future.:heehee: Kneeling seems to be getting a little less sensitive, although I don't do it much.

We drove to Florida to visit our daughter for Thanksgiving, and I can sit in the car for 8 hours, stopping at 4 hours for gas and change drivers, and not feel and stiffness or pain.:yay: That alone is a god sent!

I must say that now that winter is upon us once again I am still very cautious on snow and ice. I went to the hairdresser today just as the snow started once again. I got out of the car and saw that the path to the front door had old snow which had hardened from the freezing temps, and new fresh snow was starting to cover it making it more slick.:yikes: I headed toward the door not realizing until I was half way there that I should have grabbed the cane in the back seat for support, so I had no choice but to go forward very cautiously.:beg: When I got inside I was greeted by my hairdresser who immediately proceeded to tell me that she had just slipped and fell when she got out of her car. Her biggest concern was that she lost her coffee, needless to say she's young. I asked if she was okay and she said, yes I just miss my coffee. I then said, then maybe I shouldn't ask you. She said ask me what? I said, I was going to ask you to assist me to my car when we're done because I sure don't want to fall with these knees, and there's a lot of ice out there. She did help me for which I was very great-full. So I guess what I'm saying is that I am still very much a scared-d-cat when it comes to snow and ice, as far as my knees and aging body are concerned.:umm:

Well that's my story for now, and I'm stick'n to it!

I wish everyone in my BoneSmartie family happy healing and a quick recovery, so we may all move on to a better life.

Stay well and stay safe everyone!:friends:
 
Jacky,
So good to hear from you again. I have been thinking about you. Good to see Mickie and Minnie are doing well for you and wish you all the best with them from here on.
Short story, I went to the office Christmas party this past Saturday, and wore 2 1/2 inch heels for the first time in about 7/8 years. Everything acted tremendously well, back, knee all was great. Needless to say I was really happy.
If I don't get to say it later I will wish you and Norm a VERY VERY Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Keep on keeping on.
Love to you, Rose
 
@karmigirl OMG Rose, I've been thinking about you too! Thanks for the good wishes, much appreciated my friend! (((HUGS)))

WOW! 2 1/2 inch heels? You are doing very good! You must have felt like a whole new person! I'm so happy for you!:thumb: Dennis must have been very pleased, and proud of you.

A very Merry Christmas to you and Dennis as well my friend!:merry xmas:

Stay well and keep on enjoying your new life kiddo!

Love & hugs back at you, Jacky
 
Hi not been on myself for a while,i think snow is bad tkr or not pity her coffee did not melt ice.Yes got to agree still have off days but have more good days right knee will not last much longer but will not think twice about having it done.The best piece of equipment i have now is a garden kneeler still feels wierd but i can push down on side and get up okay.Driving to my daughters friday for xmas with kids only 4 hour drive but that is no bother at all now,wish you all a happy xmas and new year,just one request because i live on a hill can you keep snow in usa, bye for now, Richard
 
@RICBAK1 Hi Richard, nice to hear from you again. It sounds like you are doing pretty good, and you'll do even better when you get your right knee done. Enjoy your Xmas holiday with your family, that's where great memories are made from.:thumb: It looks like your request will be fulfilled my friend, because it seems like every couple of days we are getting a storm here in the USA, so pretty soon there shouldn't be any left in the sky for all our friend abroad.:shrug: No sense us all suffering, right! Stay well kiddo and have a safe trip! Jacky
 
Well hi Jacky. I looked for you yesterday. I also haven't been on in a long long time. I know what you mean by just not trusting the knee. I just have lost confidence that it will support me. And indeed not helped by new injuries. Fortunately i'm not dealing with snow....just cool, sweet mornings and warm sunny breezy afternoons. Pretty good Christmas weather I'm thinking. hope it stays like this through the coming week. Have a good holiday coming up.
 
@DogLady Hi Maggie-Lee, I just orthodoc's answer to you inquiry on your thread, and I thought it was informative. I hope it help you.

I do love the appeal of your weather there, and you're right pretty darn good Christmas weather indeed! Enjoy it kiddo! You have a great holiday as well, and do enjoy your weather for me. We didn't get out of the teens today, 13 degrees to be exact. Brrrrrr....
 
We started out in the teens...I think it was about 12-13 when I left for work, but that was in Celcius, not fahrenheit!! Now its closer to 18 or 20 I'd say. :)
 
Good to hear Mickey and Minnie are doing well. I think I'll always be a bit afraid of ice. :(
 
Jacky, good to hear that all is well at 18 months. I remember when you were at pre-op and concerned about what the future with new knees would be. I think you had an excellent recovery with those two rascals, Mickey and Minnie! I know what you mean about kneeling. I can do it just fine, but it is weird. I think it is mind over matter and I am not there yet!:heehee:

I am at 2 2/3 years and my knee is doing well. I just got 13 degrees of ROM with lots of PT work. But that proves that you can always get more ROM! I am happy with this cause it makes steps much easier for me. I have a new health problem to deal with now. I was diagnosed with vasculitis due to Lupus in October. I am on immunosupressant drugs, prednisone and the anti malaria drug Plaquenil. They knock me out for part of the day and naps are mandatory. However, the suppressant meds finally are working and the vasculitis is better than it has been in months. Just when I thought all was smooth sailing after this knee....this popped up!:yikes:

Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas and New Year!:cheers:
 
@kneeper I totally agree with you! Ice and snow are our enemy as we age, as well as when we get knee and hip replacements. I suppose we finally realize that we're not kids any more, but then again maybe we don't want to be kids any more!:)
 
Good to hear the kids are doing so good. Ice is scary and this year its for the books. We hav had some black ice this year which is unusual. I am so glad that you were able to travel. Its good to have such good results. I hope that you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Stay Safe, Tashia
 
@Mimi So happy to hear from you Mimi! I'm so sorry to hear of your new affliction with vasculitis due to lupus. Sometimes life deals us a hand that we're not sure we can handle and we go on and hope for the best. I was on Plaquenil when I was first diagnosed with arthritis and the main thing to watch for is macular degeneration if you are taking this drug, a check up for this is mandatory every 6 months. I have an aunt who has developed this while on this drug, so be sure to get checked, please. I, myself got off all arthritic med one year after I was diagnosed with arthritis, because I found them not to be that helpful. I was on prednisone, plaquenil and many others. I went on ibuprofen and Tylenol, which come to find out only masked my other medical issues, like needing new knees.

I am just hoping you find comfort with your currant course of action, and you find relief for your discomfort.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as well my friend!:)
 
@tashia I'm so glad to hear from you! Yes, this year is a doozie of a year for snow and black ice, and we hip and knee replacement people are NOT happy with this fact! So far life is good and I want to keep it that way, as we all do, so staying upright and off the ground is the key to happiness! Stay safe, and enjoy the holidays Tashia (((HUGS))).
 
Hi Jacky! So good to hear from you. It’ll like old home week here, so many people I haven’t seen in awhile. I don’t come on much but do check now and then to see how everyone is doing. I guess there will always be aches & pains, a little stiffness and swelling is nothing compared to being housebound with knees too painful to walk on. The only time my knees have really hurt since surgery was a few months ago I went to a show that was 4 hours long and the seats were very small with no leg room. If I just could have straightened my legs out I would have been fine. When the show was over and I could stand up all was good again.

I’m taking Plaquenil now for RA. I go every 6 months for eye exams, didn’t want to take this drug but my eye doctor said his mother takes it for her RA so I gave in. I don’t have any pain from RA so really wonder if it’s because I take the medication or not. The only RA pain I think I’ve had was a few flairs in my hands that lasted a day or two but there’s no damage to any joints. But… that’s a whole other message board. :)

I’m also a bit cautious with the ice and snow. I still avoid kneeling whenever I can. I got on my knees to plug the Christmas tree in, I felt stranded there for a minute but I did get up all by myself!

Have a very merry Christmas and a happy & healthy New Year!

:xmas-tree:
 
Jacky so nice to hear from you my recovery friend. Always there when I wanted a moan to help out. :angel: I cant believe its another Christmas already. Last year I was hobbling around with my walking stick. This year I'm dashing around like a good 'un and enjoying every minute of it. I'm amazed also at my right knee which has got so much better and stronger since I had the other knee done. I hope it continues and another TKR is a long way off. I hope you and your lovely husband and family have a great Christmas and wishing you Good Luck and Happiness for 2014. Sent you Santa Hugs across the miles:huggy santa::huggy santa::huggy santa:
 
@Morning Glory Yes, I suppose we can't get rid of all our aches and pain, but we sure can kick butt!:) It looks like Ethel and Lucy are treating you well and that's something to be thankful for. RA is a demon of its own that's for sure. I also experience the flare up in my hand, which stops any use of them, but thank god it last only a few days.

Have yourself a Merry Christmas and a healthy and Happy New Year as well my BoneSmartie friend!:mer xm:
 
@robynhood Pat it's wonderful to hear from you again kiddo! I'm so happy to hear that your new knee is treating you so well. You certainly had one heck of a time with your recovery, but thank goodness that's behind you now and your right knee is feeling better now that your left one is behaving.:yay:

I wish you and all your loved ones a very Merry Christmas and a healthy and Happy New (pain free) Year my friend!:reindeer:
 
So good to hear from you Jacky @Jacky48 and I too was only thinking of you yesterday. Good to hear you are well. I don't blame you at all for being cautious about the snow and ice. They scare me stiff too. We haven't had any white stuff yet. We are prone to get it Jan/Feb/March time. It's not been too cold here either. Which makes it seems a bit unChristmassy. Not that I am wanting to feel the cold, mind you :heehee:

I am doing good too. Don't have that pesky limp any more. My knee feels great. Go up and down stairs fine, if a little more cautiously coming down, but that's only down to confidence. Can and do walk any distance - though I'm not talking marathons, lol.

Having said that, I am doing the Moonwalk in London in May next year with three friends. This is a walk, starting at midnight in London. You are supplied with a t-shirt and and a bra (which you wear over your t-shirt). It is in aid of breast cancer. Shall need to train a bit in the new year. Should be good fun at the same time as raising money for a good cause.

Our darling little Rayan is nine months old now and such a cutie pie. He is crawling and can pull himself up on to his feet with the aid of furniture. I expect he will be more interested in the boxes and wrapping paper than his Christmas presents, lol. Here's a pic with his messy mouth eating a yoghurt :heehee:

[Bonesmart.org] Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!


Have a lovely Christmas Jacky. Stay in touch, it's always soooo good to hear from you :mer xm:
 
Wow how cute is Rayan. I can't believe he's 9 months old already. Glad to hear you're doing well Kathy. A Moon Walk Eeeeek you're brave. A very very good cause Kathy. Wishing you and your lovely family a very Happy Christmas @KathyH. Sorry for bombarding your thread Jacky


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom