Bilateral TKR Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Janet2012 Yes Janet your surgeon is right they are not our natural knee, but our natural knees gave up on us, which these won't and that my friend makes me a very happy woman! :)

As for these dang feet of ours, what the heck is up with that! This is the third day that I'm icing and elevating this toe as it started to cause swelling on the pad of my foot and across the base of all my toes. I can't even put on my shoes, which means I can't go out in these 95+ temperatures, awe shucky darn! :umm: I hope you get to have your injection before your next vacation kiddo.

So sorry to hear about your two friends! :console2: You are so right we do have to count our blessing for what we have.
 
Jacky48, have you considered that you may possibly have gout? The big toe is one of its favorite places to attack. I hope, of course, that you don't; but if you do, you need meds and a special diet to deal with it.

Keep us updated----you know we care. [Bonesmart.org] Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!
 
bottomshollow Judy, thanks for the reminder! I have considered that it might be gout because last year when I was in rehab for my knees I got the very same thing in both big toes and they kept saying it sounds like gout, so I asked my GP to check my blood for gout and she said, no it's just your arthritis, so I then asked my OS to check but I never did get the results , it got better and I forgot to ask. So I think I'll call his office today and see if the could tell me what the results were. Again thanks for the reminder, sometimes the mind slips a gear! :shrug:

I love your new avatar by the way! Cute!
 
I called my OS office today and found out that my "Uric acid" test from last year when I had these symptoms was within the normal range. I'm sure this can change with time, but in the mean time I'm still icing and elevating and I do feel an improvement. I do eat a high diet of fatty fish, shell fish and red meats so I will be careful in the future and watch my diet. There's always something to learn! bottomshollow
 
My son turned 47 years old today. 47 year ago I was 18 years old and I could run, skip and jump, and I still do, in my head! :heehee: Still having fun now that I have new knees! :thumb:
 
As our children grow older, it makes us realise that we are getting old too :yikes: Not a good feeling :heehee:

Hope your toe is giving you less gyp, Jacky :flwrysmile:
 
Too true!
My oldest will be 40 this year. Where did the years go? Do you remember that song from "Fiddler on the Roof?"- "Sunrise, sunset. Swiftly flow the years! "

Jacky, i hope your toe soon starts to feel better.
Caryl
 
Hi Jacky, had been awhile since I've been here and when I did could not find you. :umm:Glad to see you back. Hope that toe feels better soon, if it's not one thing its two. My left knee is giving me a fit. Feels like I might have hit it but know that I didn't. Usually just stiff and not painful to bend, but a little different last couple of days. I thought by now it would not keep flaring up, oh well. I hope with the next couple of days brings both of us less pain and we will feel better. :)
 
KathyH I do realize that while we watch our kids age, it ages us that's the bummer of it all, he's way to close to 50! :yikes: I also just realize that I lied, I was 17 not 18 when I had him, I guess what they say about the mind is the first big thing to go, I can't believe that I tacked on another year to myself! :shocked:

The toe is coming along, still very tender but I was able to stand long enough to take a shower at least. I was starting to stick to my night clothes. Ewwww.... :umm:
 
Celle Oh yes Caryl I do remember "Fiddler on the Roof" -"Sunrise, Sunset" alright, it's rising a lot quicker and setting a lot sooner now a days! I also remember the song "Stop the World I Want to get Off"! :)

The toe is less sensitive maybe tomorrow I'll be able to put my shoes on! However I do realize that others have it much worse than I, so I will put my Big Girl pants on and roll with it. :heehee: Thanks again my friend!
 
sunshine in nc Thanks kiddo, my toe is making progress, which is a good sign.

It sounds like your left knee is telling you that it's approaching it one year birthday and just because it is nearing one year it doesn't mean you can forget about it, I swear these new kids of ours! :beg: I too still get flare ups once in a while, mostly Mickey (left). Maybe it's these darn heat wave we're experiencing! :shrug: Here's hoping you feel better soon kiddo!
 
theres a song called whats age got to do with it and my grandkids are keeping me going,on a site now has free wifi and we have had 3 weeks of heat hope it lasts all year swimming in sea every day grandkids here next week got dingy all ready grandad swims pulling them in boat i love it and have a non rusty knee and i agree with you bottoms is best avatar seen yet.Will look back again later too busy now finishing bottle of rum off daughter going to Cuba friday hope she gets me some more even though i prefer APPLETONS from when she goe to Jamaica rum geting to me rambling on Bye All.
 
RICBAK1 Rich it sounds like you are having a wonderful time! Grandkids are the best, enjoy them they grow so fast just like our kids! Oh yes and enjoy the rum too kiddo, swimming and the sea, it just doesn't get much better than that my friend! :martini:
 
Hi Jacky I hope your foot feels better finally and you are out and running around. I was wondering what type of daily meds you are still on for your knees? I have been on tylenol and ibuprofen for so long now I was just thinking ahead and don't know what it will be like when the knees are done, next year probably.
 
Hi KayeKaye ! Nice to see you again! I was on Tylenol and ibuprofen for many, many years before my knees where replaced. Now, or I should say shortly after I got off of all the heavy duty drugs, which was about 2 months after my BTKR, I have not been on any Tylenol or ibuprofen on a regular basis. I do take Tylenol when my arthritic joints flare up (base of my thumbs and base of my big toes), but that is usually for a short period of time. I did get another flare up at the base of my big toe this week, but I finally wised up and started wearing my walking shoes that I wore before my BTKR (wide width) and that seemed to do the trick, so I guess I have to buy wide width shoes from now on.

I now realize that before my BTKR the bone on bone pain was so bad that no matter how much Tylenol and ibuprofen I took the pain was always there. After my BTKR the pain and discomfort that I felt could never compare to the bone on bone pain that I felt before my BTKR, so maybe that's way I don't feel the need use the over the counter meds much.

Are you planning to do both at the same time? You will be so happy when you get your bad knees replaced, because I know that when you have constant pain it overrides your thought process and it hard to enjoy anything. I wish you the best kiddo! Stay well, and try and stay positive good things have yet to come your way! :friends:
 
Thanks! Yes I think I will do them both at once and get it over or I may never do the second one. Lots of people have told me to do them one at a time but the doctor is ok with doing both at once. And I've been encouraged by you and others here that did both.

It's a relief that I may be off these daily meds in the future. I've been on them so long.
 
You won't regret doing both at the same time KayeKaye . Everyone kept asking me, Are you sure you want to do both at the same time?, not knowing what I was in for, I still said, Yes, yes I do!, one bout of heavy drugs, one recovery, one rehab, and then moving on with my life knee pain free! I too thought, if I do one and it's as bad as what I hear, I may not go back, then I'm no better off then doing none, so I grabbed the gusto and went for it! It was not as bad as what I had imagined, and trust me my imagination can scare the heck out of me especially when it comes to pain. I suppose everyone gets what they want out of it. I had terrible bone on bone pain that brought tears to my eyes on a daily basis, standing, laying down or sitting it didn't matter, so when that was gone I could live with some swelling, tightness and mushy soft tissue, I felt and still feel renewed! :yay: So my friend I say "Keep your eye on that brass ring, and when it comes around, grab the sucker". :thumb:
 
Hay gal, you have been on my mind so I thought I would drop in and see how you are doing. Seeing that your big toe is acting like a child isn't good. Gout also came to my mind but since you have had it checked thats out. I have noticed that if I don't bend my toe much it will get stiff and hurt. The old saying if you don't use it, you loose it. However my doesn't swell so that is a question, why. I hope it tell you so you can fix it. Please keep us updated so we can give you surport. Tell Minnie and Mickey to treat you well! Take care. Tashia
 
Hi tashia , come to find out there's gout and there's arthritic gout, so I must have the later! Nothing is every simple with my ailment, that being said, I am learning a lot as I go! As we all know here knowledge is power! :) I also learned that if I wear a wide width shoe it's a lot easier on that joint, so off to shopping for me, awe shucky darns! :heehee: The good thing is that my toe moves great until the flare up, which causes it to freeze and hurt, so I ice, elevate and wait! Mickey and Minnie are real troupers, lucky me!

Thanks for dropping by and lending your wonderful words of support! And by the way, I love attending your parties! :yes!:
 
My big toe gets real sore too but never swells, mmmm I will have to watch it. As for my parties they are great because you come. Parties take people coming and you are one of best. I do hope its doesn't hurt often. take care. Tashia
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom