Bilateral TKR Michael Reed's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next one is graduating from the walker and getting to a cane. I think I will look much cooler with the cane, maybe I can get me a three piece leisure suit with a sweet hat to complete the ensemble.

A two-piece and an enormous chip on the shoulder works as well:
 
Neil, you are too much!
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
 
TheHistorian said:
When I went through it I was told flexion is relatively easy to increase, but extension is harder. Also if you lack a full extension you are standing and walking around with your knees bent, which will give you an odd gait. It makes sense to concentrate on extension because part of therapy should be retraining you to walk.

I was lucky with this. By the time I was 10 days, the PT said not to bother with the extension exercises since I was already at 0.
 
It sounds like your PT is looking out for you, Michael. You don't have to get there in one day! :heehee: Yes, I hear extension can be harder for some people and so it makes sense that you focus on that a bit more for now.
 
I had the same issue as most with my ROM moving in spurts and usually not as fast as I wanted but I had the opposite issue with extension. My knee was a bit hyper-extended before surgery so they made sure I made it to about two degrees shy of flat and then let my knee work out the rest. so i ended up at flat on extension rather than too loose like before. Our knees are so individual how could anybody be normal. Even with my knee tending toward too extended I found those exercises the worst. Congrats on how well you are doing.
 
Ha, you guys are cracking me up. You are looking mighty dapper there Mr. Historian.

Today's therapy session went well. Did 20 mins total on the bikes, yes bikes. Did 10 mins on the recumbent bike before they got me up onto the upright bike and did 10 more minutes. Then I did some squats on the bench before moving over to the table where I did all my other exercises. Didn't measure my extensions today but the PT said that I am close to 0, only a little bit of daylight between my leg and the table. We did measure my flexes again today, hit 122 on my right and 120 on my left. Now that I have reached that goal everything beyond is just gravy and I will take. Just got to focus on getting the extensions down.

Once again, the worst part of my session was the icing down at the end. Just seems that I am getting some major cramping on the back side at around the half way point (20 mins total). Today instead of wrapping the ice all the way around my knee we just laid it over the top and sides, still cramped up. I think it's a combination of the extreme cold and starting out without any pillows under my knees to work on the extensions some more. None the less we through a pillow under each knee when it starts getting bad cause we definitely don't want to cause any harm.
 
Hello Michael... I just read thru your progress report, gave me encouragement and a little nerves to be honest, I am scheduled for the end of the month and thought I was considered to be in the "young" category but you defiantly got me beat on that one!... I am still hoping I have age on my side as well as pretty good flexibility now, just hoping for minus the pain..
Was it a given that you had In Patient therapy since you had a Bi-Lateral? I am hoping for the same with mine, it just seems that the transition to home would be much easier if I was already walking and learning how to get up out of bed, off a chair, etc..
Keep up the excellent work you are an inspiration to some of us eagerly awaiting!
 
Welcome AZRoxie and don't let anything I have been through make you nervous. It should actually make you a little more prepared just in case something does happen then you know a course of action.

As for the In-Patient Rehab, I was given the option because I had both done. It wasn't a definite to happen since they can't submit for it with your insurance until after your surgery, but with a bi-lateral you are less likely to get denied. I definitely think that it was the best decision that I made. Not only did it get me more prepared to be at home but it also meant that I was in the hospital in case something happened (like me getting sick from the Dilaudid). Plus you get 2 therapy sessions a day during your stay where I would have only gone to see PT Monday-Friday for one session a day the following week.

Age definitely should help but don't push yourself harder because you are younger. Remember to listen to your body, tell your therapist any new aches/pains you are having so that they can adjust your regime accordingly and not cause any further harm. It's all about communication, and if you have good communication with your therapist/doctors then you should get the best treatment that is possible.

Best of luck to you, I'll be waiting for your first post on the other side.
 
Michael, your therapy sessions are going amazingly well. Don't think I'll be that good with just one TKR! Your progress and positive frame of mind would give anybody encouragement. Good for you, keep it up :thumb:

Kathy
xx
 
Michael, your therapy sessions are going amazingly well. Don't think I'll be that good with just one TKR! Your progress and positive frame of mind would give anybody encouragement. Good for you, keep it up :thumb:

Kathy
xx

Kathy I am sure you will be doing wonderful. Remember it's all about what your body will allow and not to push hard because you want to reach this goal or that goal.

Went to my third outpatient therapy session today after being in town since early in the day for a doctors appointment. By the time I made it to therapy I was extremely tired and tight cause I hadn't been able to get my legs up, iced, and stretched out.

Even though I wasn't feeling all that good I still had a good session doing 20 mins on the bike and then 10 mins doing squats before we started stretching and trying to get to the elusive 0 degree extension (we are getting really close). Once again I had trouble during the ice down period as at the 10 minute mark my left leg cramped up and they literally had to peel me off the wall. Got a pillow under the knees and we were just fine. I know most of you are just thinking, why not start with the pillow under the knees? We are working on getting to 0 and letting the weight of the ice to push down some, now it doesn't hurt so it's not like someone is standing on top my leg pushing down, it's just that I get cramped up about half way. Now today we were actually putting the pillows under my knees at the 10 minute mark but I cramped up pretty bad on the left side just at that time. Guess we need to go with 9 minutes next session.

Now to relax through the weekend while doing my exercises and walking around the house then see if I can reach 0 on Monday.
 
I am wondering for you guys that have both knees done and graduate from walker to cane, which side do you use the cane on? I mean you usually have to use the cane on the opposite side of the operated knee, but when you have them both done, how do you do it?
 
Great question, Debbie. I went from walker to nothing in 21 days---I was going to use the cane I had for my hip replacement---but couldn't figure out which hand to use it in---so I just didn't! I had good balance and a normal gait so it was no problem. Maybe one of the other bilats here has an answer for you.
 
I am wondering for you guys that have both knees done and graduate from walker to cane, which side do you use the cane on? I mean you usually have to use the cane on the opposite side of the operated knee, but when you have them both done, how do you do it?

Debbie I don't have an answer for you on that, but hopefully I will soon. I would assume that they would educate on using it with both sides and then instructed to use it according to whatever side it best that day since it seems to change on a daily basis.
 
I am wondering for you guys that have both knees done and graduate from walker to cane, which side do you use the cane on? I mean you usually have to use the cane on the opposite side of the operated knee, but when you have them both done, how do you do it?

I chose whichever felt weaker on a given day. Since I had a massive amount of correction on the right, it was usually that side.
 
Debbie I don't have an answer for you on that, but hopefully I will soon. I would assume that they would educate on using it with both sides and then instructed to use it according to whatever side it best that day since it seems to change on a daily basis.

That's what I was told.
 
Progression was walker - crutches (2nd day IIRC) - 1 crutch for balance. Single crutch was right arm as I'm right handed.

The next major step was to change from walking 'traintracks' (feet moving forwards in parallel) to walking properly where the feet land roughly one behind the other. This had to be re-learnt.
 
I think he is one of the hospitalist. I am not too happy and if he tries to put a stop to me receiving pain meds then I will definitely in contact with my case manager and patient relations.

I've been getting a mix of Zofran and Reglan for the stomach. We have already taken one dose of Milk of Mag, Miralax, and docusate sodium. I'm about to get up and see if we can get anything going, not going to push myself too hard but at least try. If that don't work then I will get a suppository.[/quote
Sometimes we just have to fight to get what we need, don't we? I hope you get some relief soon and keep that pain under control. After reading here for a couple months I realized what I needed to do-I'm so happy to have the knowledge going in to know what to do.
I hope you get settle soon Michael and make some progress you are pleased with.
 
OK, quick question that I am sure the answer is somewhere but I don't really want to look for it so I will ask.

I still don't have feelings on the outsides of my knees. I get an itch sensation but whenever I run my nails over those areas I can't feel a thing. I'm guessing this is normal so my question is how long should I expect this to last and when should I start regaining those nerve endings?
 
Michael, I don't know about knees, but my hip replacement, not only by my scar by the whole front of my thigh. I had an anterior replacement so the scar is in the front and I had it last Dec and still numb and tingly. I had a big toe implant years ago and that is still numb too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom