Bilateral TKR Michael Reed's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, quick question that I am sure the answer is somewhere but I don't really want to look for it so I will ask.

I still don't have feelings on the outsides of my knees. I get an itch sensation but whenever I run my nails over those areas I can't feel a thing. I'm guessing this is normal so my question is how long should I expect this to last and when should I start regaining those nerve endings?

I'm at five months and I'm still partly numb at the sides. Much less than before, but its still there. The itch went away in a week, if I recall correctly.

You are regrowing nerve endings, but as you probably know, nerves grow slowly. It might take me a year to regain full feeling in my right foot, which suffered nerve damage when my leg was straightened. You haven't mentioned if you have any nerve damage from correcting your bow-legged condition.
 
The only nerve damage I have experienced to this point are on the outsides of both of my knees, not the top, back, or insides, just the outside.

I have experienced some numbness/tingling in my right foot when I am on it for a prolonged amount of time, but not sure what is exactly causing that.
 
I had the lack of feeling on the outside of my knee too. Now if I run my finger along it I feel it, but it isn't quite "normal" feeling. I'd say it took maybe 8 months to get close to this and just lately it's feeling closer to normal. Also the area is smaller than it was. OF course with your super healing :wink: it might not take you as long.
 
The only nerve damage I have experienced to this point are on the outsides of both of my knees, not the top, back, or insides, just the outside.

I have experienced some numbness/tingling in my right foot when I am on it for a prolonged amount of time, but not sure what is exactly causing that.

Again, not knowing how much correction you had, it might be from getting your leg straightened. If you go from a valgus or varus deformity to having straightened legs, your weight distribution changes. My feet and ankles have had to go through a lot of adjustment as I've recovered, including the symptoms you describe.
 
OF course with your super healing :wink: it might not take you as long.

LOL, I do feel lucky that my body has reacted in the way that it has. Most of that could be attributed to doing the pre-surgery therapy as instructed to gain as much strength as possible, and then the rest is just sheer determination that I have to get back to a normal life.

Again, not knowing how much correction you had, it might be from getting your leg straightened.

I know I had some correction but not entirely sure the extent. I'm sure that it will get better but was just wondering a time frame, but I should know better cause everyone is different.
 
Still alive and still improving. Got permission to ditch my walker whenever I wanted yesterday and use a cane. I told my therapist that the cane was easier to swing at her anyways. So after going home and getting a quick shower I headed out (with a driver) to join my friends for a live broadcast of our weekly hockey show that we do. It was a 2 hour drive there and back and a 2 hour show, so by the time it was all done I was worn out from it all and pushing hard in PT.

Had another PT session this afternoon and i'm at almost 130 flex and have a 0 extension. Everything from here is just gravy, and I am starting to have the urge to go spend the money on a really nice road bike. I'll probably hold off until sometime next month to do that though.
 
Wow Michael you are doing amazing! I had a friend who had a single TKR and she did the pre surgery PT like you did. She did really well too. Keep up the good work!
 
Some of us are really very lucky for whatever reason. I did some pre-surgery exercise on my own, but mostly taking care of hubby and the house and yard was all I could do. But I was walking unaided three weeks post op and doing what needed to be done at home. ROM could be better, but I haven't worked at it because I really don't care--I'm pretty satisfied with what I've got. And I know with continued activity it will get better pretty much on its own.

And you, Michael, appear to be one of the lucky ones, too. Enjoy it. It's a blessing--but don't get too carried away or it will come back to bite you!
 
Hi Michael!
Just stopping by to say hi. You're doing so amazing!!! 130 ROM? WOW! I finally got to over 100. It was TOUGH, but I did it. My rom is progressing slowly and that's ok with me. I'll take the baby steps. I have been having some sad days. I can't wait to get back to work, but I know it won't be for a while. I am exhausted, and have fallen asleep in the middle of responding to emails. You give me so much hope. I love that you are doing well and I love your sense of pride and enthusiasm. Thanks for your updates and congratulations surgery buddy!
 
Sounding great Michael, I hope that with all the pre surgery physical therapy I am doing, plus all my regular workouts I will do as good as you are doing. Keep it up.
 
One of my therapist and I had a conversation today while I was icing down about how good I am doing. Now before my surgery I checked out a few rehab centers to determine which one I wanted to go to and during that meeting he asked if I were doing any exercises, which I was. I only bring that up because during our talk today he mentioned that you can usually tell the patients who come in and did no therapy before hand and those that did. He said, it's not just visible in their progress and strength, but it is also evident in them being able to independently do the exercises and aren't just sitting at the house with their legs up on days they don't have PT.

I definitely feel blessed to have my rehab go this well to this point. Sure I am feeling some pain but it's not joint pain, its muscle pain. I'm getting these muscles to start firing again after not doing so for a few years and that excites me. I've already lost some weight and i'm under 200 pounds, ideally I'd like to get to 170ish. That will come after I finish rehab and join a gym where I will have a personal trainer to start working this minor belly that I have. Then I will be getting my nice road bike and start training for long distance rides. I can't wait!
 
Hi Michael!
Just stopping by to say hi. You're doing so amazing!!! 130 ROM? WOW! I finally got to over 100. It was TOUGH, but I did it. My rom is progressing slowly and that's ok with me. I'll take the baby steps. I have been having some sad days. I can't wait to get back to work, but I know it won't be for a while. I am exhausted, and have fallen asleep in the middle of responding to emails. You give me so much hope. I love that you are doing well and I love your sense of pride and enthusiasm. Thanks for your updates and congratulations surgery buddy!

Sounds to me like you need to get away for a night or two. Maybe a trip with you and the hubby to a small B&B, or the beach for the weekend. Actually if you do that take me with. :)
 
"Everything else is just gravy" Michael I love the sound of that :rotfl: Just to echo what everyone above has said. You are a great inspiration to us all. Good for you and many congratulations :thumb:

Kathy
xx
 
A few days back I started cutting back on my pain meds. Rather than taking 2 every four hours I started taking only 1 every four except for the dose before surgery and when I am going to sleep. Now I have started to stretch out my dosing to every 6 hours instead of every four. Really the only difference was that my back pain was starting to get back around the 6 hour mark, my knee pain wasn't too bad. Thinking I will go get a massage on my back tomorrow before therapy, all this laying around has not really helped the back, plus using different muscles to walk has added some strain. All in all though I'm happy to start the reduction of pain meds.
 
"All this sitting around" is murder on one's back! I remember it well ....
 
A few days back I started cutting back on my pain meds. Rather than taking 2 every four hours I started taking only 1 every four except for the dose before surgery and when I am going to sleep. Now I have started to stretch out my dosing to every 6 hours instead of every four. Really the only difference was that my back pain was starting to get back around the 6 hour mark, my knee pain wasn't too bad. Thinking I will go get a massage on my back tomorrow before therapy, all this laying around has not really helped the back, plus using different muscles to walk has added some strain. All in all though I'm happy to start the reduction of pain meds.

I jumped on here to see how you were doing... your story is one I am following closely... can only hope I have as good as results as you are having! Thanks for all the feedback, liek yourself I have been doing pre surgery exercises, alot of swimming because it's easier on the knees... cleaning house really wears me out now, can hardly wait until that ceases...
So tell me is it the sitting with knees bent for an extended time that is hard for the travelling in cars or that they are not elevated above your nose? Keep up the great work and blogging!
Cheers on the weight loss btw! :cheers:
 
So tell me is it the sitting with knees bent for an extended time that is hard for the travelling in cars or that they are not elevated above your nose?

I think it is a combination of everything. Just not being able to ice them down, and not really being able to get into a comfortable position. The riding in a car is getting better and I am going to try driving next week (only to and from PT).

Had another therapy session today and got 128 on my left and 132 on my right. I think they are going to stop measuring because I am well beyond where I have to be and they don't want to make me force myself. Though I won't stop the stretches to increase that number. My extensions are getting better and I am almost getting the back of my knee to the table with no help.

Still have 3 weeks left before I go back to see my OS. I also go see my Arthritis doctor that day so will be excited to hear what both have to say. Until then I am continuing 3 therapy sessions a week.
 
Michael.....you have really accomplished a lot so far in you recovery. You should be very proud of yourself. I can't wait to hear how your surgeon responds when he sees you! Keep up the great work.
 
Michael.....you have really accomplished a lot so far in you recovery. You should be very proud of yourself. I can't wait to hear how your surgeon responds when he sees you! Keep up the great work.

I think he is going to be surprised but not too much. I suspect that he expected me to do well with recovery, but they really never know. Still have work to do as I am not walking with a normal gait yet, but I know that will come in time. I'm just going to keep doing what my therapist have me doing and go from there.

I got a heat pad last night to help with my back and it has loosened me up some. Right now I am just trying to get through the weekend to Monday. I have an appointment for a massage before I go in for therapy so hopefully that will help relax my back a bit more. Also yesterday they started to put heat on my quads after therapy along with ice on my knees. That really helped with the tightness in my quads.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.
 
Alright, couple of questions:

#1: How long were you required to sleep in immobilizers if you had to? I am so over strapping my legs down every night.

#2: Does anyone know why you lose the feeling on only the outside of your knee? I'm guessing it is normal for it to just be the outside or maybe I am just weird or it had to do with my straightening. I just find it odd that it's only the outside rather than both sides.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom