Bilateral TKR Michael Reed's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ROMs are pretty awesome, never thought I would be that far along this soon, but I know I still have some more work to do and will continue to push along until those ROMs are as normal as a completely healthy person with good knees (while listening to my body and letting it get there when it wants to).

You aren't far off. In my case I was told 130-135 would be excellent for a person with my body structure (I'm too fat now, but my legs are big and carry a lot of muscle mass, which means even at a goal weight of 240 I'd have trouble getting past those figures.) I'm not sure what "normal" would be for a man of your size.
 
I'm not sure what it was or will be for me either. I'm happy with being able to do full rotations on a bicycle, which is 110 per my therapist. I'm just going to keep plucking away and take what this new hardware gives me, no reason to set a superficial number that I may never reach and then be disappointed. Besides, I have never been normal and never want to be normal. :spin:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
Here's a poster to celebrate "not being normal"---a great sentiment in my book. Keep up the good work with your recovery, Michael.
 
Try mixing a alcohol ice solution for the water bottles you are putting in the tank. I found the recipe on this forum...1 part rubbing alcohol+ 4 parts water. The bottles will freeze solid / slushy. I don't know how much colder this solutions freezing point is than water alone but it is colder for sure! I made ice bags with this mix and frost forms on the bag from the air when I use them. They stay cold for for about 2 hours.

ChrisO

PS salt water ice bottles will also be colder than fresh water ice bottles.
 
Finally got around to updating my blog. Not much more to be seen on it that can't be seen here but it is a probably a quicker look at my days since surgery.
 
Alright quick question, I didn't want to start another thread but possibly will, but how long did it take until everyone got clearance to drive? And who gave that clearance? Can my PT do so or do I need to wait for my doctor? Are there any requirements that I have to meet to get to where I am capable of driving? I'm not looking to go driving tomorrow but am just thinking of my next goal(s).
 
Michael

In the end it will be you who gives yourself clearance to drive. You should not drive while under the influence of meds that could slow your response time or cloud your judgement. So you shouldn't drive if you are still taking narcotics or meds that are known to make people drowsy. I had a friend who wad driving @ day 10 but she only had one knee replaced and it was her non driving knee.

I was off narcotics by about day 15 but my driving knee still hurt when I straightened it so I wasn't safe for sudden braking issues. It took me a while to feel safe driving. I think I was driving by about week 4 but only as needed.

Careful getting in the car...man o man does it hurt if you forget and get into a car the same way you did before you had knees replaced... I did this and it felt like I had folded the knee in 1/2.


ChrisO
 
Chris, I had both knees replaced a week apart. I was six weeks before I felt I was able to drive and my right knee was just a little sensitive at first so I didn't venture further than PT which was 15 minutes from my home. I now drive with my seat set at the furthest position from the steering wheel and I'm only 5' 4" .I have no idea what changed but I'm much more comfortable further back. My knees can still get stiff from sitting too long in one position.
 
Alright quick question, I didn't want to start another thread but possibly will, but how long did it take until everyone got clearance to drive? And who gave that clearance? Can my PT do so or do I need to wait for my doctor? Are there any requirements that I have to meet to get to where I am capable of driving? I'm not looking to go driving tomorrow but am just thinking of my next goal(s).

Five weeks for me. I was told the decision to drive was mine. As long as I could operate the car safely, I could drive. Since I was both using a cane and off impairing drugs, I did it. However, I kept my drives short, since I was uncomfortable behind the wheel at first. Regardless of your range of motion when flat on your back, it can be a struggle when you are upright. I found it hard to move from the gas to the break pedal, and on longer drives I'd get cramps.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
I agree that making the decision to drive is really up to you. Since I was walking unaided 21 days post op, by week five I decided to give driving a try. I live on a short dead end circular road with a grassy area between the paved streets. So I just backed out of my long drive and drove around the circle and tried emergency braking to be sure I could move my right leg fast enough without too much discomfort. That went fine, so I drove myself the 10 miles to the nearest grocery (I live in the country--closest 2 little towns are 7 miles away) a couple of times and then drove myself the 20 miles to my 6 weeks OS appointment.


How much driving you do and how long a distance we want to go will depend on your own comfort level. But being able to drive again is sooooooooo liberating!
 
Well first outpatient PT session down. Got to 117 flex on my left knee and 121 on the right. I could have done more on the right but the PT actually grabbed my leg and was stopping me saying I had enough. I was pulling hard against her hand but she wouldn't let me (booooooooooo). Not sure what my extension numbers were, they seemed to be more worried with getting me to 0 than past 120, but that is probably cause I am so close to both and the extension seems to be the slower moving one of the two for me.

The worst part of the PT was icing my knees down, since they wrapped them all the way around instead of just the pads on the top like I am so used to. This caused some cramping behind my knees that could be linked to having both legs out straight while sitting on a table and the cold. It wasn't horrible but there was some discomfort.

When I got home I was so exhausted that I just collapsed onto my bed and slept for a couple of hours. Session #2 is tomorrow.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
Michael, you just keep doing so well---don't push too hard---you've already got great ROM and it will continue to improve. I also found ice on the back of the knee did not feel good to me---I rarely iced there.
 
I wanted more. I was physically pulling my therapist hand as she was trying to stop me. Her words were, "120 is enough".

As I was leaving I asked about driving and they asked me what my notebook said. I looked away and they said 6-8 weeks. I then reminded them that the notebook is only a guideline and it isn't the rule. I know I am not ready to drive yet but I want them to know I am looking at hitting certain goals.

Next one is graduating from the walker and getting to a cane. I think I will look much cooler with the cane, maybe I can get me a three piece leisure suit with a sweet hat to complete the ensemble.
 
Try mixing a alcohol ice solution for the water bottles you are putting in the tank. I found the recipe on this forum...1 part rubbing alcohol+ 4 parts water. The bottles will freeze solid / slushy. I don't know how much colder this solutions freezing point is than water alone but it is colder for sure! I made ice bags with this mix and frost forms on the bag from the air when I use them. They stay cold for for about 2 hours.

ChrisO

PS salt water ice bottles will also be colder than fresh water ice bottles.


I did that, but they kept turning out to be whiskeys and sodas!
 
WOW, Michael, I am so impressed and even envious. I'm still icing and elevating. My PT comes tomorrow and I will do the 2 exercises that my OS wants. I think that I am going to be a turtle, but as God as my witness, I will win this race...........eventually.
 
How about this for fun?
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
or this
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery


Personally, I think you'd be the bee's knees in the striped outfit, and you'd certainly attract a lot of attention.
 
Michael, I went by the lyrics from one of the Rolling Stones' songs---"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need."

My ROM is not as good prior to my BTKR---i could squat (albeit somewhat painfully) on my hamstrings like I was a catcher.

I cannot do that anymore, but the ROM that I have now get me along just fine. I can do anything now that I want to do.
 
Hi Michael just catching up on your thread. Your doing great I also was told that I was too young, that went on for a while, by 48yrs old I had enough, so after my 49th birthday I had my btkr. I too am having trouble with my left leg, having a ROM of only 85 this at 9 weeks, so I am being patient continuing PT 3 days a week. At 9weeks I haven't tried to drive yet but I will be soon :sigh:. There will be good days and some baaad days, remember do only what you can don't push it. Again congradulations.
Kim
 
Not sure what my extension numbers were, they seemed to be more worried with getting me to 0 than past 120, but that is probably cause I am so close to both and the extension seems to be the slower moving one of the two for me.

When I went through it I was told flexion is relatively easy to increase, but extension is harder. Also if you lack a full extension you are standing and walking around with your knees bent, which will give you an odd gait. It makes sense to concentrate on extension because part of therapy should be retraining you to walk.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom