Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Michael Reed's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang in there Michael. Certainly don't take that answer and move up the chain if you need to. As you have probably read in my various posts, where you are now has a better reputation than I think they deserve and I probably won't be returning any time soon. They didn't seem to put the correct priority on pain management in my mind. And certainly not up to the standards they espoused during their pre-surgical orientation. I hope you have someone there with a strong personality and legs that work that can advocate for you.(I know my wife didn't make many friends there) that all being said, there are some great folks there and when you get one of those great teams, you will certainly be in good hands. The PT staff tends to push a lot harder than they should. I started PT today at the place I will be going from now on and it wasa breath of fresh air. And believe it or not, with no pain and some gentle relaxing work, my numbers were better and I walked out of there feeling better instead of collapsing in my room totally exhausted and feeling like I"survived". Had a pretty good day, PT told me to get up and walk as much as I felt comfortable over the weekend, but that short term, my goals were to get sme healing underway and don't lose any ground.
 
Well I am fighting nausea also, but either because of an ulcer or more stomach polyps. I will know on Aug 6th when they scope me under sedation.
 
Ask for some Zofran to help with the nausea. It works great!! And Michael ask for some stool softners or Milk of Magnesia to take nightly to get things moving for you. No need to have a stomach ache from suppositories or enemas. Hugs!
 
Michael I didn't have a single 'normal' bowel movement until I was discharged from the hospital. That was three weeks after surgery. I think your doctors are rushing you; I'd at least question them on the idea of waiting and letting nature take its course.
 
I met the doctor that works the rehab unit and he wants me to stop all pain meds because I haven't had a BM. I just kinda looked at him like he was crazy.

What in the world?? Exactly what kind of doctor is this person because that is plain ridiculous!
They should have Docusate Sodium available there in soft gel form. Several of those a day will get things moving and in a gentle manner.
 
I think he is one of the hospitalist. I am not too happy and if he tries to put a stop to me receiving pain meds then I will definitely in contact with my case manager and patient relations.

I've been getting a mix of Zofran and Reglan for the stomach. We have already taken one dose of Milk of Mag, Miralax, and docusate sodium. I'm about to get up and see if we can get anything going, not going to push myself too hard but at least try. If that don't work then I will get a suppository.
 
Hi Michael, I had surgery Wednesday and first BM was Saturday and that was after drinking some sticky stuff the nurse gave me in a little cup. Don't know what it was.
 
Today has been a little rough. After the last update I tried to have a BM but that just resulted in me getting sick again. So I just moved back to the bed, took my sleeping meds and slept as much as I could for the night.

This morning I woke up still feeling sick to my stomach, and my appetite is all but gone. Pain is under control and amazingly I haven't had any pain meds since 2am (its now 9:30). I'll be getting a dose about a hour before OT comes in, which is when I will get lunch. We are going to go with half the amount of dilaudid to see if that will help my stomach.

Talking about PT/OT. I had a session with both this morning and after PT I got sick, so OT was rather short, but we plan on letting me get a shower this afternoon and hopefully at that point I will be feeling a bit better. PT said I was doing really good and to keep up the good work.
 
Michael- just make sure you are taking stool softeners etc. I had my surgery Monday, (last BM was Sunday afternoon)had my first BM last night about 10:00pm. For the record, had my second less than 4 hours later- no problems. They gave me the stool softeners and something else while in the hospital. When I came home, I switched back to Miralax and Benefiber.(I like them both because they dissolve completely in water and there are generic or house brands of both) Till this is over, I will start every day with that combo. It has never let me down. Till you get things moving again, eat wisely and don't overdo it, although yu won't likely feel like overdoing it. Good luck.
 
Thanks Zel, I don't remember if I have a a stool softener since yesterday. Nurse is about to come in and give me pain meds so I will ask at that time.
 
I second the stool softners. I really like those as they help make things softer and easier to pass. As long as I take those I usually am able to go okay. Hugs!
 
Ooops, they didn't transfer the stool softener or Miralax over to my inpatient rehab. The doc is going to add it for me.
 
Good new/bad news. Still nauseous and the Zofran oral pill they have been giving me is just not working (well I keep throwing up soon after so it doesn't have much of a chance, plus it has a horrible taste). They are talking to the doc now to see if we can get it changed to either IV or another drug.

Went to OT and got a shower, man did that feel good. The only issue was me getting sick again, and I still have PT to do. We opted to do PT back in my room again and I am now walking without the assistance of the leg braces. After PT I tried to use the restroom and managed to pass a little (which is better than nothing).

Michael I didn't have a single 'normal' bowel movement until I was discharged from the hospital. That was three weeks after surgery. I think your doctors are rushing you; I'd at least question them on the idea of waiting and letting nature take its course.

I think the main problem that the doctor is having s that I am not keeping anything down. I seem to be getting sick every time I am active, whether it is getting up to go to the bathroom, or doing PT/OT.

Hopefully with a change in drug we will be able to get my stomach to settle. We did drop to 4mg of Dilaudid instead of 9mg and that seems to be woking, and should be lighter on my stomach. Only time will tell.
 
Sorry you're having stomach problems. Mine is basically a garbage can, nothing bothers it. Was telling nurse the other day, I came home for outpatient surgery a cou
 
Wow, 9 mg Dilaudid. It is my drug of choice but I would never be able to write or even be able to know where the bathroom is. I get zonked on 4mg. You are one amazing man.
 
Wow, 9 mg Dilaudid. It is my drug of choice but I would never be able to write or even be able to know where the bathroom is. I get zonked on 4mg. You are one amazing man.

Eh, I think we have determined that the dilaudid is what is causing me to get sick. We dropped all the way to 2mg and I still got sick shortly after, without me getting out of bed or really moving, and I think we changed to it off of Percocet 10mg the day before I started feeling bad. Going to have to have them look into it and see if that is the truth. If so we are not taking dilaudid anymore.
 
Sorry you're having such a rough time. I don't know why that doctor is getting his pants in a twist so, it's only been three days and you've not had much to eat. Stands to reason your bowel won't move - it's probably nearly empty! I really wouldn't fret about it too much for at least another 2-3 days.
 
Sorry you're having stomach problems. Mine is basically a garbage can, nothing bothers it. Was telling nurse the other day, I came home for outpatient surgery a cou

I think you lost part of your message.
 
Your right Michael, fell asleep during the post. Happens allot right now. Unfortunately I don't remember what my point was. It was a great nap though!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom