Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Michael Reed's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
OOOPS!!!!!

Was doing rehab this morning and was on the bike just rocking back and forth. I'm right on the verge of being able to do a full rotation and accidentally pushed a bit too far and fully rotated with my right knee bent. The therapist asked if I meant to do that and I said, "No! That's what the yell was for!"

Didn't hurt anything but it was scary and a bit of a shock.

Two years from now you will be wearing the yellow jersey on the victory ride into Paris..... the first man with a bilateral knee replacement to win the Tour de France. And it all started here, with an OOOPS!!!!!
 
LOL, that's definitely a goal but not one that I have. I'd just be happy riding with a group for a few hours a week. That oops definitely scared me more than hurt. By the afternoon session I was doing full rotations with both knees without a problem.
 
Your recovery has been fantastic. While I'd never question your determination or work ethic, I have to say that your age, which was a stumbling block and concern, is at least partly responsible for your success. Young people heal faster than oldsters do. So once again, shame on the doctors who deterred you from having the operation.

And congratulations on going home. I just hope that you'll continue to keep us in the loop as you recover.
 
LOL, that's definitely a goal but not one that I have. I'd just be happy riding with a group for a few hours a week. That oops definitely scared me more than hurt. By the afternoon session I was doing full rotations with both knees without a problem.

It's just like riding a bicycle, isn't it?

If you go to the Social Forum there's a "Cycling Club for Us" thread. Posters range from the very active and experienced to people just getting back on the bike, like me. When you are ready, join the peleton.
 
Final numbers before discharge:

Flexion: 115 (L) 114 (R)
Extension: -4 (L) -3 (R)

Should be breaking out of this joint soon.
 
It's just like riding a bicycle, isn't it?

If you go to the Social Forum there's a "Cycling Club for Us" thread. Posters range from the very active and experienced to people just getting back on the bike, like me. When you are ready, join the peleton.

Pretty much, and I have seen that section. Definitely will be joining once I get to that point.
 
Great job Michael!! And I am sure you will be enjoying being in your own bed soon too. Hugs!
 
You're a star, Michael. :cheers2: Talk to you after you get home.
Oh, and I'm just curious, what was your ROM like pre-op?
 
You're a star, Michael. :cheers2: Talk to you after you get home.
Oh, and I'm just curious, what was your ROM like pre-op?

My extensions were both past 0 and my flexions were past 120. The important thing is that now not only are my extensions going to be 0 or more but I don't have a bow in my legs, which should give me another inch or two in height also.
 
Glad to see you heading home. Take it easy and get some much deserved rest in your own bed. ChrisO
 
Well, I was exhausted once we finally got home yesterday (about a 2 hour drive). Once I finally got settled into my own bed I was out for a few hours, then I got situated again for the night and slept through the night. Well mostly through the night, I did wake for my scheduled pain meds.

The only issue we are having at home is keeping my cooling system cold enough. It's so much easier when you have nurses or techs coming in through out the day to constantly keep fresh ice in it. And when you have a massive ice machine. We are using a combination of ice and frozen water bottles but for some reason they don't seem to be staying cold as long. Not sure what we are doing different.

Anyways, I'm sure that we will get it figured out and have it running smoothly over the next few days. Now I just have to be persistent and keep doing my PT at home on my own, my first outpatient PT session is Monday morning. Hope everyone is having a great weekend, I know mine is much better since I am home in familiar surroundings and don't have to call for someone every time I need to get out of the bed.
 
Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. Sorry about the ice machine, but I am sure you guys will figure something out or someone else will have good ideas for you. Rest up and recover, look forward to your updates. Hugs!
 
Congrats on being home Michael!:friends: Isn't freedom wonderful! You are doing great, keep up the hard work and soon your recovery will be a thing of the past! Don't forget to treat yourself nice and stay well!:thumb:
 
Glad you are home Michael. Not sure it will do any better, but after looking at water bottles to put in my cooler I decided to fill quart size freezer bags and I am hoping they will work. I will be able to put at least two in there and I have 6 of them frozen. So will be able to change them pretty easily. I remember when I first used the thing when I had my scoping 11 years ago, we just used ice cubes and then they would melt and my husband would have to drain some of the water. Hoping the frozen bags will work better and last longer then the cubes did. My brother also brought be some big gel pads. So one way or another I should have a cold knee.
 
Michael,
So glad to hear you made it home okay. Just being in your own surroundings seems to make you feel better and you can finally really rest without someone coming very few minutes to get or give you something. Follow the mantra, go slowly, rest, and relax.
 
So you finally escaped the mad doctor then? and with awesome ROMs to boot!

That bruising was pretty severe and probably accounted for a lot of the pain you were in. Most likely about 500mls of blood in there.
 
So you finally escaped the mad doctor then? and with awesome ROMs to boot!

That bruising was pretty severe and probably accounted for a lot of the pain you were in. Most likely about 500mls of blood in there.

He wasn't such a mad doctor after I got patient advocacy on my side and learned that he wasn't going to push me over.

The ROMs are pretty awesome, never thought I would be that far along this soon, but I know I still have some more work to do and will continue to push along until those ROMs are as normal as a completely healthy person with good knees (while listening to my body and letting it get there when it wants to).

That bruising was pretty nasty, still have some hanging out down there. I'm sure anyone out in the public seeing it probably think that I have some toddler running round pounding on my constantly.
 
Today's been a good day, had a little trouble with the cooling unit staying cool last night but made it through without a problem. Just took my first shower at home and am now relaxing my ice on my legs and feet elevated. The only issue I had today was my left quad muscle started to really hurt doing my leg lifts. I just stopped doing them and continued on with what I could do without causing any pain, definitely listening to my body.

Other than all that I have just been napping and enjoying my freedom.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom