Bilateral TKR Michael Reed's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael,
Glad to hear things are getting sorted out for you. The mix up in you meds is a bit scary. I always ask what it is they are giving me and what it is for to make sure no issues. How is your PA doing? hopefully you won't go through a flare. You are doing well being able to post as much as you have, keep up the spirits.
 
Flaming nora, Michael, that's some beaut of a bruise :heehee: I do love your Lego spaceship though :thumb: Good to hear things have improved with regards to your pain meds and you sound like you're doing remarkably well. But then, I never doubted that you would :dancy:

Kathy
xx
 
Yeah, that Lego spaceship sounds like just what I needed in the hospital. Of course I was pretty doped up at first so it would be interesting to see what shape it turned out to be. :heehee:
 
Well it was expected, a bad day was to come. But don't get me wrong, I am not one bit disappointed or sad.

Woke up this morning feeling a little bit stiffer than I expected and with a bit more pain when I stood up to use the bathroom. That stiffness didn't get any better and I was actually feeling a bit light headed when they took me down for my OT session. Did some upper body work and discussed some more about what I will need at home when I get discharged. When it was time for PT I was in for some work. Like I said I was having some more stiffness and was reflected in my numbers as my flexion actually stayed the same in the right leg and went the other way in the left. My extensions did improve 1 degree each though so I have that positive to hold onto. After we did the measurements we did some stair work and that totally drained me, I spent all of lunch icing my knees down sleeping. Well at least once I got my pain meds, called down for them and the nurse said I was over an hour away from them allowing me to have them. I informed her that was not an option since my pain was an 8/9 and that her time would be too close to my next PT session giving me no relief. She said she would talk with the doc and 10 mins later she was in my room giving me the pain meds I so needed.

The afternoon session wasn't as bad but I was still having trouble with my left leg, and I was able to get a shower (that always feels good).

Had a few friends come by for visits today and have just been trying to get some rest in since finishing up rehab for the day. Plan for the rest of the night is to just relax some more and hope that tomorrow is a better one. The rehab staff has their conference tomorrow to discuss discharge plans, they all told me I will probably go home later this week or early next. Will be nice to get home and in my own bed, but not rushing things.
 
Yeah, that Lego spaceship sounds like just what I needed in the hospital. Of course I was pretty doped up at first so it would be interesting to see what shape it turned out to be. :heehee:

It was actually pretty good for me. I found it better than trying to read a book that if you feel asleep while doing you would be lost when you tried to pick it back up. At least with the legos you can easily pick it back up and you are good to restart.
 
I've been taking a bit of a break from everything TKR; bit of an overload. But I broke my break to write this post and check in with you.

The bruises are really something. Watch over the next few weeks because if they are like mine were, they will move down the leg and foot. Mine started up high on the thigh where the tourniquet was placed and moved all the way down over a couple of weeks time to my toes. By the time they hit the heel and foot area they were no longer painful, but they still were the cause of swelling.

And it appears that they are getting it right finally with your pain meds; listening to the patient, you, as the best judge of when you need them. Good for you!

And the Lego project should be added to the BoneSmart sticky of things to take to the hospital. Plus, you'll have it as a memento to keep as a reminder of what you did on your summer vacation! :heehee:

Take care and keep on that path to discharge.
 
Quick numbers update:

Left: -7, 106
Right: -5, 112

My left knee is the one that we are having a slight set back with but they are going in the right direction once again. Just taking what it will give me and going from there. My flexion on my right knee would actually have been more but I ran out of space to move my foot any further, so we will see tomorrow.

The staff had their meeting about me this morning and I will be going home on Friday, then will be doing inpatient PT three times a week at least until I go for my 6-week check-up.
 
:yay: Sounds like your recovery is coming along well, glad you are going home on Friday.
 
Quick numbers update:

Left: -7, 106
Right: -5, 112

My left knee is the one that we are having a slight set back with but they are going in the right direction once again. Just taking what it will give me and going from there. My flexion on my right knee would actually have been more but I ran out of space to move my foot any further, so we will see tomorrow.

The staff had their meeting about me this morning and I will be going home on Friday, then will be doing inpatient PT three times a week at least until I go for my 6-week check-up.
:thumb:
 
If your 'therapy' is causing you pain, or if you have to take drugs to stand it, don't do it. It is compounding the damage, not helping recovery.
 
If your 'therapy' is causing you pain, or if you have to take drugs to stand it, don't do it. It is compounding the damage, not helping recovery.

I think you are reading into that further than what is being said. That day I had actually been in pain from onset so we were chasing and just add on the therapy session where we added doing stairs then my pain was a climbing. If you read most of my post here you would see that I am not pushing myself or causing pain during therapy. Well I am pushing myself but its to the point of good pain not bad pain. My therapist here have all been wonderful and totally don't live by "no pain, no gain". They know that pain is not a good thing and that gentle stretches to regain that mobility is what is best.
 
OOOPS!!!!!

Was doing rehab this morning and was on the bike just rocking back and forth. I'm right on the verge of being able to do a full rotation and accidentally pushed a bit too far and fully rotated with my right knee bent. The therapist asked if I meant to do that and I said, "No! That's what the yell was for!"

Didn't hurt anything but it was scary and a bit of a shock.
 
It's great that it didn't hurt! And I totally get what you're saying about it being a shock. You're doing great. :thumb:
 
Six weeks inpatient? Gosh, I started outpatient at three weeks and really enjoyed having some place to go and being around people. Plus I don't have any equipment at home. You are doing great, congratulations!
 
Understand completely! Lol! I did inpatient at rehab for 10 days after the hospital.
 
Forgot to post my numbers from earlier today.

L: 105; -7
R: 114; -5

Actually had my right leg bent all the way back and was holding it up off the floor as she measured it which is way bigger than just getting to 114. Building the flex and strength is what they want to see and I am definitely getting that done.

Only one more therapy session tomorrow morning and then they might do my Doppler before I am discharged and get to go home. Then I will start outpatient therapy, 3-times a week, on Monday at 10:30.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
recovery so far---and next stop home! Good for you, Michael.
 
Today is my escape day. I get out of the hospital and get to go home. It's going to be nice to be in my familiar surroundings along with being able to sleep at night without having someone come in to wake me to do vitals or draw blood.

Just have another therapy session to do and possibly my doppler before I get released. :egypdance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom