Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Michael Reed's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not familiar with hospital protocol, but I would have the patient advocate down there first thing and I would be requesting another Dr. To see. This is ridiculous. You have a battle to fight, it is called healing and rehabbing from a major operation on each of your legs. You should not be wasting your time battling with Napoleon over your pain levels. I would start moving up that chain first thing, be prepared as you can with your back-up information and demand another Dr. immediately. This is one of the reasons I hate hospitals, when you get caught up in the little fiefdoms of some idiot who is more concerned about the possibility he may be exposed as wrong than the well being of his patient.
 
Well I have patient advocacy on my side and things are being taken care of so no more worries there (hopefully).

I have been nauseous free since stopping the Dilaudid so that is a wonderful feeling. Just finished my first session of PT on the mats and then did OT. PT was a workout but not too painful and OT did upper body work. My ROM is gradually getting better, my extension on both legs increased and my flexion on my right got a bit better.

They come to get me again in a few hours so I am back in my room icing my knees down and going to relax and get some lunch before then. Also going to get another shower this afternoon.
 
Oh, Michael--I'm so sorry you had to go through this, but glad you got patient advocacy involved and that things are improving. All of us can learn from your experience and not be afraid to stand up for ourselves. How did you know how to get in touch with the patient advocacy? I know they gave me a handbook of sorts in the hospital, but I don't know if it listed that.
 
Michael,

Fantastice to hear that the nausea is gone and the baloney is being taking care of! Hope you have a wonderful day! FWIW,
I loved the warm showers, icing my knees made me feel cold deep inside, the nurses tried to help me keep warm with blankets from the blanket warmer but they didn't feel nearly as good as warm water running off my back...

ChrisO
 
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery Things are sounding much, much better, Michael. Please don't allow PT to be painful.
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
Your knees have undergone pretty massive trauma and need a lot of TLC. :console2: Discomfort is okay, but pain is counterproductive and limits ROM, which you have plenty of time to increase. Have a good lunch
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
and get some rest
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
before you next session. Enjoying your posts!
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
 
How did you know how to get in touch with the patient advocacy? I know they gave me a handbook of sorts in the hospital, but I don't know if it listed that.

I used to work in the hospital (not this one), first as a pharmacy tech and then as a respiratory therapy tech, so I am familiar with patient advocacy and case managers. The thing to remember is that just because we are in the hospital doesn't mean that we have lost our rights. And as it has been proven over and over the doctors/therapist/techs aren't always right and do not always know the right path plan. If we don't speak up we lose our voice and that is probably the worst thing that you can do at times like this. If you don't let your voice be heard then proper treatment will never be administered because they all will just be guessing rather than actually going off of what is known.

Don't be afraid to speak up, remember that you are paying their paycheck, not the other way around. You are the boss, not them.

Michael,

Fantastice to hear that the nausea is gone and the bull-**** is being taking care of! Hope you have a wonderful day! FWIW,
I loved the warm showers, icing my knees made me feel cold deep inside, the nurses tried to help me keep warm with blankets from the blanket warmer but they didn't feel nearly as good as warm water running off my back...

ChrisO

I actually had a spell of cold chills this morning but that was the first time I have actually felt cold since surgery. And I agree that warm water running down my body was Ahhhh-maz-ing yesterday and I can't wait to get back in today for another one.

[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery Things are sounding much, much better, Michael. Please don't allow PT to be painful.
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
Your knees have undergone pretty massive trauma and need a lot of TLC. :console2: Discomfort is okay, but pain is counterproductive and limits ROM, which you have plenty of time to increase. Have a good lunch
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
and get some rest
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
before you next session. Enjoying your posts!
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery

Oh I am keeping the pain under control and the discomfort at just the right level. So far so good. PTs are all saying I am doing good and to keep up the good work. So far no one has tried to push me further than I am wanting to go.
 
Just got back from rehab, 104 (L) 110 (R) flexion, didn't measure extension but it was -12 (L) -14 (R) this morning. Looks like my extension is going to be what we will be working on mainly since my flex seems to be coming along rather well. Tried stairs for the first time and OUCH! Only did one up then one down.

Waiting on OT to come and get me for my shower then I get to relax the rest of the day, maybe even get a nap in :beg:
 
Glad the issue is behind you regarding the pain meds and that you can now concentrate on getting better!
 
Sounds like you got things sorted and you have the right attitude.

I'm sure you know this, but for future reference, and to help anyone else with vomiting issues (which I suffer from with most narcotics) - there is absolutely no need to keep on vomiting because you can't keep anti-nausea drugs down. There is no reason on this earth why those anti-emetics can't be given by injection, and some can even be given in suppository form.

I'm convinced that the little Hitlers who bully patients only get away with it because their victims are weakened by the operation and sometimes dazed by the medication. If people are weakened or intimidated, they need a support person who can speak up for them - patient advocate or relative/friend.
 
I had an anti-nausea patch behing my ear which worked. Made my mouth feel weird. Then I touched the pad and then rubbed my eye without realising it. Made my pupil dilate and vision blurred. My lovely nurse Lauren spotted it, rang the anaethetist and he said it was a classic reaction to the patch. So we took it off, bathed my eye and a few hours later all came right.
 
I'm sure you know this, but for future reference, and to help anyone else with vomiting issues (which I suffer from with most narcotics) - there is absolutely no need to keep on vomiting because you can't keep anti-nausea drugs down. There is no reason on this earth why those anti-emetics can't be given by injection, and some can even be given in suppository form.

Oh I totally agree. I notified the nurse after the 2nd dose and they changed it to Promethazine. The only issue with giving it IV was they had not placed a new IV in me since I transferred from the hospital I had surgery at so they had to get that done to do so and only Zofran could be given IM (which they could have done). I had not needed the IV line so that is why they had not placed one yet, but with me vomiting they put me back on one and gave me meds via IV for the next 24 hours. Also of note is they had forgotten to give me prednisone which didn't help things, and they were giving me Mobic because they thought I had been on it for years when in reality I have never been on it. The doc stopped that this morning after we spoke also.
 
Wow, Michael! your saga brought back my days immediately following BTKR: the pain meds not being right, the pain, the nurses not giving me the stuff for the pain, the nausea, the BM problems (lucky you didn't have to have manual stimulation!), the problem with food. It's like it happened a looooooong time ago (maybe 5 months is a long time in our world).

To all of you who have moved to the other side ... know that it will get sorted out, sooner for some than others. Your knees won't always be the boss of you!

Hugs!
 
Congrats Michael on successfully navigating the rehab doc's misguided efforts. Who knows where his attitude comes from but I'm so glad to hear you were able to gain some support through the patient advocate. I'll bet you're enjoying eating again! :happydance:Great job on the PT/OT too!
 
Well, got done with my PT/OT sessions for the day. Even though I missed a pain dose over night (got my alarm set to get it tonight) and my ice pads were not flowing properly last night I still managed to get to 110 degree flexion on both knees while getting to -8 extension on my right and -10 extension on my left.

I'm doing the lifts all on my own and slowly getting stronger. They meet on Wednesday to determine my discharge plans (if I will be sent out in the next week or not). Would definitely be nice to get home but if they think I could benefit from being here another week I am prepared for that.

So far so good, look for a big update on my blog in the next few days.
 
Nice progress report, sounds like things are now moving forward. Good for you! We'll look forward to your update. :SUNsmile:
 
It looks like things are going really well for you and that is great! Stay well Michael! :friends:
 
Hi Michael, I just read your thread for the first time. I take it you are a bilateral. Me too. I am so happy to hear things have improved for you in the last couple of days! Love the picture of the bruises! I had one leg that looked like that and the other had nothing. I was amazed how quickly it all went away. I hope all continues to go well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom