Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Michael Reed's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the main problem that the doctor is having s that I am not keeping anything down. I seem to be getting sick every time I am active, whether it is getting up to go to the bathroom, or doing PT/OT.

Hopefully with a change in drug we will be able to get my stomach to settle. We did drop to 4mg of Dilaudid instead of 9mg and that seems to be woking, and should be lighter on my stomach. Only time will tell.

After major surgery its common to have a lack of interest in food, or to get sick from it. My first five days I spent living on fruit juices and ginger ale. Again I don't understand the rush.
 
Oh, Zel---what a great example of energy drain early in TKR recovery---and
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
funny! Another great chuckle for today.
 
After major surgery its common to have a lack of interest in food, or to get sick from it. My first five days I spent living on fruit juices and ginger ale. Again I don't understand the rush.

Oh I understand that my appetite may be minimal but really up until Friday I was cleaning my plate and nothing looked bad. It was only until after I started to be nauseous all the time that my appetite dropped and that all started after we changed to Dilaudid rather than Percocets (because it wasn't doing enough).

I also don't understand the rush but it seems that is no longer an issue since I did have a small BM.

Oh, Zel---what a great example of energy drain early in TKR recovery---and
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
funny! Another great chuckle for today.

Oh I know that feeling, I have woke up many times with my hands on my laptop still wondering what I was doing.
 
Oh I understand that my appetite may be minimal but really up until Friday I was cleaning my plate and nothing looked bad.

Well, after surgery I went to stay with family. They cooked great meals and I ate them but it wasn't because I was hungry; more that I knew I needed nourishment. After returning home, I had food in the house but wasn't interested in cooking or eating. Took many weeks before appetite returned. Seemed rather normal to me after having major surgery.
 
I have that same feeling much of the time when posting on Facebook. :scary:

So when it ask what's on your mind you post "slee" and that's all you get out cause you passed out?



Here goes some more info for you on this doctor. Apparently he has taken a patient completely off of drugs if they don't have a BM. I laughed and said that he got away with it against a much weaker patient that didn't fight back and that I guarantee that I will fight if he tries to pull it off.

They called him about changing my meds and he said he doesn't like to because we don't really know if it could cause more problems. I reminded him that I have been vomiting for 2 days straight and that is when we started the dilaudid. So he then decided we could change, but before he did so he asked if I had gotten my Oxycotin 10mg ER yet. I told him no, it isn't scheduled until 10pm. He went into angry mode and said no, it's scheduled for 6am and 10pm, and that is how he wrote the script. Um..........wrong again sir, you didn't write that script, it came from my OS at the hospital I transferred here from.

He then went on to say that I shouldn't be on any meds at all. I am starting to think that he thinks I am a drug chaser, looking for a high. I guarantee you this, if he tries to take me off my meds patient advocacy will be down here and I will be on the phone with my OS (who absolutely knows that if I say I am in pain, I am in PAIN). I definitely am not a fan of this doctor, and I do feel that when I fill out my discharge patient survey I will be expressing my feelings as well as pass on to my OS my experience next time I see him.
 
Well, after surgery I went to stay with family. They cooked great meals and I ate them but it wasn't because I was hungry; more that I knew I needed nourishment. After returning home, I had food in the house but wasn't interested in cooking or eating. Took many weeks before appetite returned. Seemed rather normal to me after having major surgery.

Oh yeah. It's almost expected. I am sitting here starving now since I didn't eat much today, well didn't eat much that I actually kept down. Maybe had a few bites for morning, lunch, and dinner, and got sick 3 times before dinner. Like I said above, up until Friday (yesterday) my appetite was as normal as it was before surgery, so I really suspect it was the Dilaudid.
 
Oh and he is all worried about me having a BM, but do you think he has prescribed me anything to assist this? Nope, he hasn't. No ducolax, no Miralax, no Milk of Mag, nothing. Yet he has threatened to take me off of meds that will keep me comfortable and pain free. If I could get my leg high enough I would kick this idiot.
 
Since you are at a rehab hospital, do you have the option of being seen by another doctor? It sounds like even if you win this needless battle, you will still have to fight a war.
 
Oh yeah. It's almost expected. I am sitting here starving now since I didn't eat much today, well didn't eat much that I actually kept down. Maybe had a few bites for morning, lunch, and dinner, and got sick 3 times before dinner. Like I said above, up until Friday (yesterday) my appetite was as normal as it was before surgery, so I really suspect it was the Dilaudid.

Not to play devil's advocate, but.... remember hospitals are full of sick people, and no matter how careful the staff is, you are basically a petri dish to any bug going round. I had 24 hour flu a couple of times. Aside from the vomiting are you experiencing other symptoms?
 
Since you are at a rehab hospital, do you have the option of being seen by another doctor? It sounds like even if you win this needless battle, you will still have to fight a war.

I'm not too sure, he is the rehab floor doctor. I am sure there are other hospitalist here but not sure how I would go about getting another one assigned to my case. I have to get some things addressed about equipment at my house for when I am discharged and that is handled by a case manager so I may just ask my nurse to see if she can get whoever is assigned to me to come see me so I can ask some questions and then bring my concerns up to them when they are here.
 
Oh and he is all worried about me having a BM, but do you think he has prescribed me anything to assist this? Nope, he hasn't. No ducolax, no Miralax, no Milk of Mag, nothing. Yet he has threatened to take me off of meds that will keep me comfortable and pain free. If I could get my leg high enough I would kick this idiot.

With your excellent extension you might be able to.
 
I worked in hospitals for 7 years after HS before my arthritis caused me to have to find other work, so I fully understand that aspect.

The only symptoms I was having was vomiting. I originally related it to movement but when I took a pill at 2 and then got sick around 4 without leaving bed onceI started to think and it hit me that I started the Dilaudid and then the vomiting started.
 
I'm not too sure, he is the rehab floor doctor. I am sure there are other hospitalist here but not sure how I would go about getting another one assigned to my case. I have to get some things addressed about equipment at my house for when I am discharged and that is handled by a case manager so I may just ask my nurse to see if she can get whoever is assigned to me to come see me so I can ask some questions and then bring my concerns up to them when they are here.

Let's ring Josephine... Josephine
 
Hmmmm..... I probably would not wait; call the OS, tell him the pain is not under control and ask that he leave orders for your medication. A hospitalist should follow an OS's orders or all heck will break loose. And why wait until it gets worse to contact the patient advocate? Get them on the phone now, that is what they are supposed to do; advocate for patients, especially because we are in a compromised state between the surgery, meds, and an unruly dr with issues. Squeaky wheel and all of that; if they think you are a complainer, wellllll you are and with good reason. Your care at the moment is less than adequate!

Another thought, contact your general practitioner (GP) or whomever you were seeing prior to your surgery and OS appointments. They should know you and that you need pain control not "drugs".

My GP I can write to online and she will read and respond within 2 days. Or I can call the doctor's nurse, have a call back from the nurse in about 2 hours during business hours, and she will talk to the doctor. Handy when the doctor has back to back appts, the nurse can get 2 minutes to relay the problem and get a RX.

Another, some people bring their RX's with them from home in case of this type of situation. Apparently happens more than we think.

Hope everything improves soon so you can concentrate on healing.
 
You are right Elisea, I will get the ball moving on this in the morning so that I don't have to worry about the "what if he does try to pull this off". I'll give a call to the case managers, patient advocates, and my OS to let them know my concerns and ensure that I don't have to worry or be stressed about this for the rest of my stay and can 100% focus on my rehab so that when I do check out I am doing as good as I should be.

For now I am pretty groggy (it's almost midnight here) and I am going to try to get as much sleep as I can. Thanks for the help.
 
Often the doc on a rehab floor is a rehab MD not hospital it's. If OS Makes rounds he may suggest meds but often will not order medication Too many cooks therory.

Re the ever anoying BM issue. It seems that once you get into a hospital you must poop at least once to be slowed to go home. I'm a nurse and I've stopped worrying over letting nature take its course. If people want me to poop then I ask for a dulcolax suppository. They will either work in < 30 minutes or there isn't anything down there that needs to pass. Problem solved or question answered.

ChrisO
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom