Bilateral TKR Michael Reed's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery
Michael, seems like you have things well in hand and are doing really, really well. As a result, I am nominating you to be a [Bonesmart.org] Michael Reed's Recovery in the knee recovery forum!
 
Rehab session 2 over with. Walked about 70 feet then sat in a chair for about an hour. My brothers have made it up here so they are cracking jokes on me. I asked the nurse if she can get my security to take care of them.

My doctors PA came and is changing my oral pain meds to Dilaudid instead of the percocet to see if we can get down to a 1 or 2 pain level. Right now it's 5 to 8.
 
Sounds like you're doing really great, Michael :thumb: Good breakfast too, yum yum :beer: Happy for you that your waiting time is now over and you can move forward - no pun intended :heehee:

Kathy
xx
 
Congrats Michael!:egypdance:It does indeed sound like you're well on your way! I hope they do get your pain numbers down; pain is so draining and you need all your energy for healing! Take care! :wink:
 
My OS just came by to talk and said that my knees were horrible and his thought during surgery was "how is he even walking".

We are working on getting my pain under control. Really have been chasing it since early this morning when the nerve block wore off. He said we can repeat the block if I want, and that we will keep trying pain meds to get me comfortable. He said it's not about torturing me but getting me comfortable.
 
I know how you feel. Seemed to chase mine for several days, they gave me Morphine for breakthrough( which was allot).morphine only mead me drowsy, no relief. Switched me to Percocet instead of Norco with an oxycontine every 12 and it seems to managing that pretty well,didn't seem to have the breakthroughs. But my nurse today when she was preparing my check-out package and my final dose of pain med, had another patient fall. No pain meds for Zel till 45 minutes later. Took it and basically jumped in the Yukon for the drive home. 45 minutes....long drive. I did chew them up when I took them, so they kicked in about 2/3 of the way home. Little tougher to get around the house, but man is it good to be here!
 
Zel, glad to see you have made it home. Looks like I'll be heading to Baptist for inpatient rehab sometime tomorrow or Saturday. Right now I just want to get comfortable. The pain isn't unbearable but I should be in less pain than what I currently am having. They did get my catheter out so I am at least feeling better from that.

The doc said that he knows when I say I am in pain that it is pretty rough cause my tolerance for pain is extremely high.
 
Hey, sounds like things are going well with the exception of the pain... I hope that they figure that out and get you comfortable and Soon!!! I was sorry to hear that they never came with that second dose last night. :sorry:

Hang in there!
 
Hugs Michael!! I hope they can get your pain back under control. I have not got a date yet for my LTKR, but that is one of my biggest fears, because I too have a high pain med tolerance. I take opiods now, and they said becuz I do, it will be more painful for me afterwards. Will definetly keep you in my thoughts, pain is so miserable. Hugs!!!
 
Well done Michael, you are so brave and positive. Hope they get the pain under control soonest. Still you will be getting better all of the time as the healing progresses.
 
Thanks everyone. Today has been up and down. Pain is still higher than they want so we are adding Oxycotin IR to help keep the pain down when the dilaudid wears off.

Other than that been battling nausea, but that usually only comes when I am moving. They changed my dressing and I am going to be able to get a bath before I transfer to the inpatient rehab.
 
Well, I'm glad they're working on the pain.:console2:
 
Have they managed to get your pain under control yet? That can be so tiring!
 
Just had my first therapy session. Here are my stats:

Left: -12 Flex, 90 bend
Right: -14 Flex, 95 bend
I found different experiences doing extension and flexion exercises.

- calves and hamstrings hadn't been touched and could be worked hard without them protesting. The bone spurs that prevented full extension were gone, so no limits there.

- quads and all the knee-surrounding ligaments and tissues had been damaged, stretching them hurt, so I didn't for ages.
 
Hope your pain and nausea is easing now, Michael. Bet you can't wait to have your bath.

Kathy
xx
 
Michael,
Congrats on making it to this side. Just caught up on your journey so far. Sounds like if the get your pain under control you'll be off to the races. Keep after them until your comfortable. Good luck on the move to rehab, make sure they have your meds scheduled before you get there, don't want to have to rechase that pain, it can be a nightmare.
 
Have they managed to get your pain under control yet? That can be so tiring!

Yeah, but now we are fighting nausea.

I've made the move to the impatient rehab hospital and it was rather rough. Ended up getting sick shortly after getting to my room. I met the doctor that works the rehab unit and he wants me to stop all pain meds because I haven't had a BM. I just kinda looked at him like he was crazy. That's not going to happen, we will go with suppositories and then an enema if needed. I am not going to get behind and then be chasing again.

Good news is that I am done with rehab today so I can just sit back and relax while watching the Olympics opening ceremony.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom