Guest viewing is limited

THR Merrimay's on the other side now THR

We've had days of rain here, and I'm fighting mold in my basement! Could this be a new stage of recovery? :loll:
 
Mold is unhealthy to breath...be sure to wear a mask while removing or disposing of moldy items.
 
Mold is unhealthy to breath...be sure to wear a mask while removing or disposing of moldy items.

I only realised that tonight so too late. I think I’ve got rid of it all but my eyes are sore and irritated and I’ve got a cough. I’m hoping it’s just from the spray I used and not the mould
 
Oh dear. Not good. I have some experience fighting mold from my days in NYC apartments. So I do wear a mask, goggles, and thick gloves. Fortunately I nip it in the bud whenever I see the first signs of it. But it is dangerous and cleaning it is dangerous. So be careful! :groan:
 
Eeesch! Now there's mold! :xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:
I hate finding stuff like that and there you were, turning the corner.
Please pace yourself in your remedial efforts,, no set backs allowed.

But congrats on feeling better/stronger. :banana-santa:
 
Two month anniversary!! Achievements: stiffness instead of levels 9, 10 pain. No longer bedfast or homebound. :happyfeet:

Milestones I've yet to reach: walking unassisted without a severe limp on my nonop side (I require two poles to losevthe limp and maintain a good gait); being able to pronounce myself "one and done." No, I think I'll need the other hip done and both knees as well. I do not regret having the surgery! But I do feel hopeless on many days as I consider how many years I'll spend in surgery and recovery from now on. I live alone and I sense that the only thing between me and life in a nursing home is ... one fall.

So 2 months finds me a little frightened about the future. But I'll hang in!!!! X
 
Do not despair Merrimay, one day at at time...I used a walker for quite awhile after my hip, at least 6-7 weeks until my GF who is a PT was nice enough to stop by and tell me to use the cane. Transitioned fairly easily.
Positive thoughts...:)
 
Thank you, Jacey. If it weren't for my cheerleaders at bonesmart, I wouldn't know the importance of gait, or how my preop muscle atrophy and poor gait has everything to do with the reality of my recovery. So I'm focusing on slowly strengthening the muscles in both hips and thighs and around my knees. Last week i had a friend videotape me walking, and all we analyzed was my gait. It looks better than it did pre-op :egypdance: :banana-santa:
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
You're progressing and noticing improvement and you're only two months post op, so that's great, Merrimay. I wish you a very Merry Christmas!
@Merrimay

:christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:
 
Thank you, Layla. I was just reading an article about how long it takes to come back with atrophied buttock, hip, and thigh muscles after bedrest. They say if you are confined to your bed for 10 days, expect no less than a 20 day recovery. We'll, I was bedfast for almost 4 months. I really do think my hip replacement surgery recovery has gone pretty well. The come-back from muscle atrophy will take months, tho!

Has anyone else dealt with muscle atrophy? I walk, do my basic pt, and have taken to using a rocking chair 10 minutes a day. Seems to lengthen the thigh muscles. Has anyone else used rocking to help with recovery? :idea: XX
 
The come-back from muscle atrophy will take months, tho!
Indeed it will. Many of our members had to deal with muscle atrophy post op. If you limp around for months it will take months to regain strength. I was on crutches for 6 months prior to surgery. My recovery from LTHR took over one year.

You'll get there!
 
Thank you for letting me know about the length of your recovery, Jaycey. It might depress some to realize they're in for yearlong recovery, but as my hip improved post op but my muscles didn't, I knew in my heart of hearts that I'd be rebuilding my strength back slowly. I'm finding the rocker gently lengthens the thigh muscles without overdoing it. A PT friend told me to worry less about the number of gluten squeezes I do as the length of tightening. So I tighten for a full minute, then rest, repeating 5 times only twice a day. Then add reps each week. So far, holding the squeeze for a minute is not tiring me out and I do feel less tight around the hips after a session.

I've decided to say I'm "in training." For what athletic event, I'm not sure yet! :heehee:
 
My home PT guy went wild when he spotted the rocking chair in my living room. He said it was a perfect place to roost during the day; the seat is high enough for easy in 'n' out, and the gentle foot pumps to rock were good exercise.
I think it's great that you're being patient with yourself in getting your strength and muscle tone back. It'll come, little by little. Maybe as you feel stronger mad get around more easily, you can see about pt to help. I had enrolled in OneStep and my therapist gave me easy gentle exercises to get me going, and increased difficulty as I could tolerate. It took months to get back to somewhat normal, and I'm still working on cardio and endurance. We'll get there! :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
 
Thank you, @subie2021. I really do think the rocker is helping lengthen my thigh muscle. May be a coincidence, but today I needed no tylenol at all. Went to the bank and the clerks were amazed with how well I'm doing. I plan to investigate One Step in the New Year! Pleased to hear you have been happy with their program.
:santa-dance:
 
Osteoporosis medicine feedback needed, hippies. Just returned from a trip to my new PCP. She wants me to have a bone scan and, if warranted, get on some Osteoporosis med.

I've read about awful side effects of those meds: femur fractures, some terrible jaw condition, and strokes. One doctor I know told me he won't prescribe them.

Anyone here on them or otherwise have information that may help me make my decision once she sees my scans?

And, whoa! Any other North American hippie feeling the drop in the barometric pressure from the frigid temps. Our temps don't drop for a few more hours, but my back, hips, and knees stove up last night! Ouch! :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
 
I have nothing specific about osteoporosis meds, but at my annual with the PCP, I refused the bone scan because I'm not taking those meds anyway. Chance of femur fractures, disinegrating jaw, losing teeth, stroke? No thanks.
My previous PCP didn't like the infusions or any of the monthly drugs, but he said he'd prescribe the daily ones. His reason was that if the monthly one caused side effects, you're just stuck until the dose runs it course. If the daily one doesn't agree, it can be stopped right away.
I'm not particularly at high risk, watch my calcium and D3 intake, and have done manly type work all my life. I've only had one broken bone, a greenstick fracture in my arm after a horse fell on top of me.
YMMV :egypdance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom