Guest viewing is limited

THR Merrimay's on the other side now THR

@Charlie33 Hi Charlie! I just read your post here on Merrimay's page and you mentioned an ortho physiatrist and I perked right up when I saw it! I was in the ER again for my um, 7th hip dislocation and the dr told me I need to see another type of dr but didn't understand the word he was saying....until just now. The once good side of my body is now destroyed and he said I needed a dr that would look at my whole body picture not just changing parts in my hip, like slapping on a band-aid. My regular surgeon even suggested the Girdlestone procedure. No, just no. I am going to find such a dr who might be interested in fixing my poor worn out hip. I also now have VRE. I'm so glad I found your post. Thank you.
 
@danelady so glad my post was of help to you. I found the ortho physiatrist a wonderful 'quarterback' to evaluate all issues and come up with a game plan. Also while there are many qualified surgeons around the globe, if you have access to the Hospital for Special Surgery based in NY would offer a great place for you to seek advice given your history. I know folks who've had hips done there and the resources are nothing short of amazing. Their education portal is awesome as well to poke around on. https://www.hss.edu/education.asp

Overall my research and experience indicate that spine/pelvis dynamics an important but often overlooked part of recovery process and finding a physiatrist and/or PT with specialty in pelvic floor training or spine/pelvis will nudge you in the right direction and help with hip mobility. Kudos to @Jaycey for sending me down the path to learn this... would have NEVER done so without her sharing her experience and why bonesmart rocks!! :)

Wishing you all the best @danelady, always happy to help.
 
I’ve seen the word ‘physiatrist’ in a few posts now and wondered what it means. I guess we don’t call them that in the uk and it isn’t a misspelling of ‘physiotherapist’ which was my initial reaction. :shrug:
 
@Charlie33 , thank you for the HSS referral. I see my spine physiatrist on May 17th to get the results of my much-chronicled MRI. I hope to find satisfactory help from him, but plan to only give him 3 months before I move on down the road. HSS intrigues me. Too many of my other joint and muscle dominoes are falling post THR.
 
Question to coffee drinkers! Anyone found that their joint pain is diminished on days they don't drink coffee? I discovered this purely by accident. May be coincidence. :umm:Hoping I'm wrong...I love my morning coffee!!!!
 
I had to look up “physiatrist” @Gloucestergal65 and it’s a pretty interesting field. From what I gather, these are MDs who specialize in handling a vast range of physical disabilities. An orthopedic physiatrist would specialize in disabilities of the joints, whereas there may be other specialities that handle disabilities of the nerves, managing diseases like maybe MS, or even congenital disease in children. Most are not surgeons, but they would work like - well Americans like to use our football metaphors and say “like a quarterback”, but that doesn’t translate to soccer/regular football very well. Basically they would be the primary doctor you trust with your orthopedic care holistically, and they would work with specialist surgeons as needed to develop plans for surgery and physical therapy that meet the needs of your whole joint system, not just one joint.

Stop me if I’m wrong, but this is what I’ve gathered from initial research. These are people highly interested in bodily mechanics, so they are able to scan and treat the whole body when there are multiple joint issues at play (eg spine and hip vs just one of those), whereas surgeons have their specialities (spine OR hip/knee OR feet/hands OR neck, etc).

Now of course I want to meet one of these doctors out of abundant curiosity….
 
I've only met with my physiatrist once thus far, but you sum up what he told me, @LaKarune. They are orthopedic MDs who specialize not just, say, as in his case, the spine, but the spine as it relates to the whole body. His main goal is proper diagnosis and helping me avoid surgery through the use of well- researched conservative and alternative protocols. After looking at my x-ray, he said that I may find relief from epidural injections, a back brace, gentle and focused PT, accupuncture or massage, and gait training. He never mentioned surgery, though I've read that they do refer patients on to surgeons when they decide conservative measures are insufficient.

I said, "Please be my Obi Wan." :beg:
 
@Merrimay Ok... coffee is the final frontier in my life LOL. Wow, very interesting will give this a try for the 'other hip'. Also while Obi Wan a great reference, we may need to go step higher?... Master Yoda? :heehee:

[Bonesmart.org] Merrimay's on the other side now THR
 
The fact that the hospital dr, not a regular ortho, was the one who hipped me up to that kind of care made me tilt my head a bit. Everyone in the ER now knows me of course, or at least recognizes my name and this dr, after taking a gander at my medical records put his face in front of mine and said I need an ortho *******. Huh? I couldn't understand completely but I recognized it as soon as I saw it here. I said this long ordeal is ruining my right knee and elbow and he said you should see your back now. He said I need a dr to take in the whole picture.
I KNEW IT! I was being used as a cash cow guinea pig to practice on. They still get paid but I suffer thru the mistakes.
Will be scoping out the Phoenix area.
@Charlie33, many, many people have sung the praises of HSS to me, including my family in NJ. I'm not ready for that kind of traveling but I'll see if they'll take a look at my records.
Thank you again.
 
Hi bonesmarties! I've not posted in awhile as I've been busy dealing with the spine issues that hindered my recovery from my Oct 2022 hip replacement.

Pleased to report that I've had my second lumbar spinal epidural injection and cannot be more delighted!! The first injection gave me about 30% pain relief. The second has me at about 70% improvement. My third injection is scheduled for the end of June.

I'm walking without a limp. The stiffness and pain is gone. My new hip feels 100%. In fact, many days I forget about it, which is something I swore I'd never manage. I do believe that if it hadn't been for my undiagnosed spinal issues I would have rehabbed quickly after hip replacement. I actually feel...flexible!!!

What a long and winding road since October 22. Bonesmart got me through it!! Thank you, my dear hippie friends! :loveshwr: Wishing you all health and healing! Merrimay
 
Great news Merrimay! So good to hear the injections are helping with your back issues, I had MRI last week and met with spine doctor this past Monday, I have spinal stenosis and scheduled for some Pain injections in a couple weeks, happy to hear they helped you.
I'm same, Miss Hip is just a very happy camper and now get some back relief and will enjoy the rest of summer.
Have a great weekend!
 
Great update, Merrimay! I am so happy for you. It's been a long road, but things are definitely looking up for you.
I hope you have the best Summer ever! :SUNsmile:
@Merrimay
 
@Merrimay such awesome news!.I'm happy things seem to be going in the right direction and you're going to be able to enjoy your summer!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom