Guest viewing is limited

THR Merrimay's on the other side now THR

Thank you, Layla. I did read those articles before I called my OS and found them helpful. But I felt like I needed to let him know that I've had to come off nsaids (tore up my stomach) and am only on Tylenol, which offers no relief, and am in pain and havent progressed in almost 2 weeks. I'm not sure what I thought he'd say, but it wasn't that my recovery is 75% complete and to remember how much pain I was in during pre-op.

Perhaps this is how they clear Medicare cases off their books. I'll see him next at week 12 at which time he won't see me again for a year. Not sure why he wants to see patients after a year if he considers us healed at week 12.

Between the indifference of my pcp and the cavalier attitude of my OS, I lost the small amount of faith I had in American Healthcare. Thank God I have bonesmarters so willing to offer the compassion and encouragement my pcp and OS deny.

Interestingly, I have called my OS team only three times since surgery: once to get anti nausea med, once to get antibiotics for a broken tooth, and this latest call. Don't think that qualifies me as a difficult patient.

Have a good day, Layla! You're always so quick to respond. X
 
I am sorry @Merrimay that you feel your concerns are being dismissed by your doctors and certainly not sure why your OS expressed the recovery the way he did.

:console2:

At less than 2 months post-op, you are still in very early days and I know I still had a lot of gait issues and ongoing discomfort, as do the Lion's share of new hippies.
The Post-Op Blues were upon me and I was already worn-out mentally from the pre-op days of pain and sleep deprivation.

Keep the faith, friend and heal despite the lack of support from your care team.
Hope you have a better week!
 
Merrimay,
I join you in your frustration.
My surgery was not here at home, I was on vacation in Virgin Islands and surgery was performed on St Thomas.
Once I returned home went to my primary and they referred me to orthopedic doctor here. I was fine with that because it was same facility where I had my ankle surgery three years prior.
But a doctor that does not perform your surgery only "manages" you.
X-Rays and quick visit and away they go.
And I read here about so many that had time to prepare for their surgery, I knew zilch about what this surgery entailed or how recovery would go, in the hospital PT person told me in 30 days I'd be doing everything I was doing before surgery...NOT.
So thank goodness for this group cause most of my information has been garnered here.
I still have days that I feel I'm not as good as I should be and others that I feel totally fine. I just don't know which days those are going to be and I know I push myself some days and then have to answer to my body.
Hang in there, we all have each other to rely on right here.
 
Thank you all so much for your encouragement.

Did any of you find relief in a rocking chair?
 
Hi Merrimay. Um, never tried a rocking chair so I can't help you there, lol. However I do want to reiterate what your OS said about coming back in to get checked in a year. I never had a problem with my hip after the initial THR, walked out of the hospital the next day, needing only NSAIDS for pain. I retired 5 years later and hip still felt great then BAM, it all came apart within a few months. I was told the acetabular component had come loose because of severe bone loss and broke through my pelvis, even though it seems to have happened pretty darn quick. After that I took it upon myself to learn about the many different problems that can arise.

Merrimay, it is imperative that after a THR we get the implant checked for aseptic loosening as well as getting a bone scan done regularly....ESPECIALLY us **ahem** more mature women. I read every 3 to 4 years is a good time. It might not even be because of our own bones but some other problem with the implant.

Oh yeah, this was a real eye opener for me as well as far as healthcare is concerned. It was my first foray into the Medicare nightmare and wow, I did NOT expect the treatment I received. The first 2 surgeons said my hip was broken because of the bone chips and you can imagine what that felt like. After I was accepted as a patient I asked if it was possible to get something for the pain to which he replied as he left the room...NO and then suggested I use....(I'm not allowed to mention what he said on this forum so I won't).
I was floored! 2 years earlier my spine surgeon kept asking me if I wanted MORE pain pills and I always said no because I didn't, but I wasn't on Medicare at that time. I don't trust any of them any more. You need to do your homework and find out everything you can about this procedure. I made myself a real pest to the drs and to Medicare as well. I asked what kind of drs are you sending me to??? Lol!

There are so many more things that can go wrong that they don't bother to tell us about. Get all your medical records, read the operative reports, it makes for good reading with a hot cup of coffee. Know what implants they put in you. I never had a bad experience with my healthcare before...the appendix while I was trucking and years earlier when I had my son, they both came out easy as pie, lol. this experience taught me a lot. Get a bone scan done, what is it, once a year I think? I had my first after I was told my bones were no good. Pffft. I mean, if it's an emergency we have no choice. I was in terrible pain and just wanted ANYBODY to make it stop. But in the next few years I'll need a TKR and you know they will have to answer my questions, have the right eye color and be able to stand on one leg and pat the top of their head at the same time.
 
Wow, danelady, thanks for sharing your advice on keeping up with scans and appointments. Will do, especially now that I realize that my OS has provided me with so little feedback. I don't even know what implant they used! Think I'll call his nurse on Monday and ask them to send me my charts. I'm tired of trying to access things online and being denied access.

To be honest, my new hip is giving me little trouble. It's the inability to use anything but worthless Tylenol on muscle and joint pain in both thighs and knees. The nonoperative leg has not come out of this well. Each day the pain gets worse, and I'm easily back up to a 6. That's better than the 10 levels I went in with, but at this rate I'll return to level 10 soon. I wish I had your moxie. I was so positive during weeks 1-3. Then the gradual and consistent decline has me back where I was during preop: in tears. I'm trying to distract myself more, but I think what I am is Exhausted. Not from a lack of energy but from the pain of exertion. My doctor refused to give me a handicapped tag for my car, but I can't make it from my car to the entrance of a store now without having to hobble back to the car empty-handed. So I can't seem to tick off any Activities boxes that I wasn't ticking off at week 3.

Backwards is not a direction I'm accustomed to go in. I try to keep my chin up, but I'm pretty heartbroken. This is why I'm such a fan of yours. Tales of your resilience and humor and dogged determination in the face of incredible odds give me a lift:) :-) (:
 
**WARNING** I'm coming down with something: severe body aches, temp was 101.1 and I can barely move. I took 2 Tylenol which brought temp down to 99. I also dug out one of my oxycodones, so umm, I am kinda ramblin' here, but it will help me sleep.

@Merrimay Don't you doubt for one second that you don't have the moxie.....you definitely have it, you're testing the waters right here on this forum. You let us know that you are not happy because you feel safe here with us, we care about you so it's easy for you to open up to us. This past year I spoke to a lot of women in town and found out that they had moms, aunts, best friends who were suffering from complications after a joint replacement for YEARS. Why?

I'm divorced, I only have a high school education and I used to be painfully shy and ashamed of myself. Merrimay, I just turned 68, do you think I care anymore what other people think about me? I'm respectful to to everyone when I ask my questions and even if I don't always make headway
I'm grateful for any help I get. I think we deserve to ask some important questions and get an answer too.

About your medical records, I had to sign a release form first. They emailed it to me, I printed it out, answered the questions, like for instance what did I want....I wanted everything they did to me on the dates I provided. Then told them how I wanted them..CD, email, snail mail and faxed it back.

Wait. What? you couldn't get a handicapped plate??? Darlin', that is cruel and unusual punishment! My PCP mailed me the form for a permanent plate as soon as I called and asked for one and I went right to Motor Vehicle. They even asked me if I also wanted a placard in case I ride in another vehicle! Why would this dr refuse you?
Sorry about all the ramblin', the oxy definitely helped my body aches which was the worst I ever remember, but I'm a little woozy too, lol. Sure hope I didn't catch Covid. I had the vaccinations but I didn't have a flu shot. My temp has gone down to 99 thanks to the Tylenol. Think it's time to go nitey nite, hope I'm feelin' better tomorrow.
 
Yikes, danelady, take care -- don't like the sound of your fever and body aches. There's so much ugly stuff going around now that you don't need on top of everything else. Stay warm and drink plenty of fluids, and keep us posted. :fingersx:

So we're both 68! And you bet your bottom dollar we have the right to ask questions and get the answers we deserve. I tried logging on to the patient portal again tonight. This time they threw me out when I "failed" to provide the "correct" name of my first pet. I think I got the answer right, you idiots! On Monday, I'll call and see if I can cut through all this nonsense. Thanks for giving me a sense of the process.

And, yeah, do you believe my OS denied me a handicapped tag? His argument is that walking ten miles from my car to the entrance of Walmart is good exercise.

You're right-- I should ask my PCP, but she has a habit of referring me back to my OS for any hip-related matter. Her motto is: "I can't in good conscience go against the advice of a specialist." Yeah, and I in good conscience need a new PCP! The problem is I'm afraid I'll be flagged as a "doctor shopper." I dumped my previous PCP a year ago when she said that "joint pain in older ladies is generally stress-related" and I might want to meditate before asking her to order an MRI. Now I think meditation is great. But I knew medical gaslighting when I saw it. So I switched to the PCP I have now about a year ago. I need to change again but, ugh, I'm sick of PCPs, quite frankly. What I wouldn't give for a shaman and sweat lodge!

Worried about you. Hope your able to get some sleep!:sleep:
 
danelady and merrimay,
Yes, you have to be your own advocate in this broken healthcare system.
Dane, hope you don't have flu, my son has been sick for 2 weeks with Type A flu, he finally went last week to Urgent Care and was tested, he has already home tested for Covid and was negative, I said to him, "you are a nurse and work in ER, why can't you just see doctor there?" Well, you can't, so foolish.
Like I've mentioned here a few times I felt somewhat "dismissed" at some of my appointments with OS. If they spent 10 minutes with me I was lucky and then just to tell you X-Rays looks good and you are healing.
At one point early on I mentioned thought my surgical leg was shorter than other, you know what nurse practitioner said, "well if Dr. so and so had done the surgery he measures to be sure they are the same." Well isn't that reassuring, well, Dr. So and so didn't do the surgery so that answer is just plain STUPID!!! You don't think the doctor that performed my surgery measured? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, once again, had no clue that shorter leg could be result of the surgery.
My leg did even out but once again, I wasn't planning on breaking my hip, I fell, needed surgery, no time to think about, no time to ask the right questions. When I broke my ankle was totally different experience, I had choices, great OS and great recovery.
This recovery I'm basically on my own (other than all you wonderful contributors here).
wow, that was a long rant this AM!
 
@Merrimay WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?!?! Grrrr!

Medicare put me on Humana and that's who I called at least once a week. I'm sure you've read the papers they send us that say....'You deserve to be treated fairly'. I let Humana know I didn't like the plan I was on, and I didn't like how they didn't take me seriously. I sure didn't like my surgeon at first and I tried to find another one but no one else wanted this uncouth truck driver on Medicare. Somehow, as the year dragged on, my surgeon, his assistant and I formed a working relationship that has blossomed into mutual acceptance.

I hated that I couldn't walk into a store, a laundry or go to the movies. I wasn't trying to cheat the system, I just knew that I could only take so many steps in one day before I became too weak to go on. I remember when I attempted to go food shopping in a Walmart, tears were literally falling down my cheeks, I saw the camping equipment and was about to crawl into a tent and wait for search and rescue to get me back outside. A handicapped plate makes a big difference in your independence, so stop suffering. I mean it's your choice, but I wouldn't settle for that treatment. My PCP gave me a permanent plate instead of a temp, which kinda surprised me but now I'm glad.

Took another dose of oxy and tylenol so I am leaning hard to the right, lol, luckily there's a wall there so I won't fall. I think it's time to grab some water bottles, come back to the bed and vegetate for hours.

Thanks for your concern, it is greatly appreciated.....zzzz zzzz
 
Oh and one more thing, just because we are over 65 doesn't mean we are ready for the grave yard. I'm used to an extremely busy and full life and want that entire life back 100%!
I can do most everything but Thanksgiving week and beginning of this week I overdid so back to couch and ice here and there. 2-3 days of that and I'm aggravated cause so much I want to do.
That being said I do feel better.
My hip felt like it was pinching if that makes sense. Then the back spasms...I just want to be perfect again.
OK, I'm done whining for today!!!:loll:
 
Sorry to hear you're having problems with your OS. We used the same group but I had a different OS and had great communication. I would call the nurse and they should get back to you and address all of your concerns. After my first my other hip took some time before it really acted up, I knew it was going to need a THR also but I wanted to wait a while. I didn't have any problems walking so never considered a handicapped permit as I used walking as my PT.
I went through quite a few PCP's before I found the one I have. many times it's not the physician it's the practice they have to work for. I know KOC changed a little from my first to my second THR and I'm sure it's changed since then.
 
Myglasshalffull, you aren't whining. I think your feelings of frustration are appropriate. I was raised in the belief that anything less that stiff-upper-lip, no explaining, no complaining is unacceptable. Anything less was "whining."

Not true. We're human. We have disappointments and misfortune, and bottling it all up or shaming ourselves into false positivity does nothing to ease our suffering. What we need is a sympathetic and non-judgmental friend. That's where we come in. You can always be honest on this forum. You'll feel less alone, and I know I feel less alone after reading your most recent post.

Last night I read several articles about post THR trochanderic pain. Don't have my notes right now so the spelling may be off. Lots of diagrams that showed the areas impacted and the symptoms described mirrored mine. You start recovery fine, then begin a decline around week 5 or 6 as your increased movement further traumatizes the tendons and muscles of both hips. This is officially defined as a "bad outcome." Increasing pain, and at 6.5 weeks I'm back on a walker moving slowly. I see my OS on the 9th, but I'm fairly confident I'm in for a long and painful recovery, assuming I ever recover. Tylenol won't cut it.

Right now I'm in shock. To have progressed so well only to watch it all disintegrate. I live alone. I've always been fiercely independent. My great pleasure is walking my dog in the woods, and I've had to stop doing that again. I'm back in bed and my pain is constant. I'm devastated. Frightened. Angry.

What angers me most is that my OS painted the best case scenario as a given. False advertising. I wouldn't mind a long recovery, but to end up right where I was preop seems especially cruel in a world of people who brag about their speedy recovery and doctors who talk only of the high success rates. What others may call whining, I call a statement of my reality. So I do feel less alone when you share your frustrations. May we both make it to the true "other side" -- not just to postop but true recovery! I'm in your corner!
 
Oh, and glasshalfful, I'm so sorry to learn that your son is so ill. Hope it passes quickly :fingersx:
 
Hi there, danelady, yep: best to sleep off whatever big bad bug you've got.

I've decided to drop my pcp now that I know my prognosis will require more compassion and respect than she offers. Certainly it's not asking too much to get a handicapped tag for my car! Hopefully the third PCP will be the charm, assuming I can find a good one!

:wave:
 
I'm sorry you feel you are going backward.
Getting rid of pain and dwindling Range of Motion are usually the top reasons for getting our hips replaced, right?
It is easy to let our minds go to the dark side when things seem to stall or worsen.
At 2 months out I certainly had plenty of discomfort in several areas (groin, thigh, buttocks) and I was nervous about all of these issues that resolved over the course of the first 6 months.

Not sure if you suspect you might possibly be developing trochanteric bursitis but it, unfortunately, is not an uncommon hiccup after THR. Perhaps you could let the surgeon know that you feel this is a valid concern and don't want to get worse.

According to The National lnstitute of Health, the occurrence of TB is not influenced by the surgical approach, and could not be predicted by specific comorbidities or radiographic measurements. However, it can be effectively treated conservatively in most cases.
Changes in the way the body moves and adjusts after THR may attribute to whether or not you get trochanteric bursitis and that is unfortunately something you nor your surgeon could predict but it definitely doesn't mean this is a bad outcome long term or something you cannot overcome.

One simple way that the diagnosis of trochanteric bursitis can be made is with an injection of local anesthetic directly into the bursa. If the injection removes the pain immediately, then the diagnosis is probably trochanteric bursitis. Most physicians will also add a bit of cortisone medication into the novocaine to help treat the condition at the same time.

Everything I read says Conservative treatment can be very successful for trochanteric bursitis. Younger patients who suffer from TB because of repetitive motion can usually be treated by reducing their activity or changing the way they do their activity. Combining this with an exercise program of stretching and strengthening and a brief course of anti-inflammatory medications will usually resolve the problem.
Treatments are used to calm inflammation and may include heat or ice applications.
Your OS might suggest physical therapy.
PTs often use hands on treatment and stretching to help restore full hip range of motion. Improving strength and coordination in the buttock and hip muscles also enables the femur to move in the socket smoothly and can help reduce friction on the bursa. Patients may need therapy treatments for four to six weeks before full motion and function return.
 
I developed bursitis on my good side...used Voltaren, seemed to help, having another little flare up but not as sore as before.
It's strange cause two weeks ago (before holiday), I was 100% fine. surgical hip (right along scar) feels like might be developing bursitis as well. Almost feels "bruised." I'll try some Voltaren but that stuff makes me nervous cause you have to be so careful how much you use.
If I still have issues by mid week I'll call OS and go in and see, from what MoJo says maybe a cortisone shot or draining it will make it feel better.
My massage therapist probably should be my first stop. It's such a busy time of year and so much to get done but if you are in pain difficult to get anything done. Two weeks from Tuesday my Texas son and family arrive and I want to be ok.
 
I'm sorry you feel you are going backward.
Getting rid of pain and dwindling Range of Motion are usually the top reasons for getting our hips replaced, right?
It is easy to let our minds go to the dark side when things seem to stall or worsen.
At 2 months out I certainly had plenty of discomfort in several areas (groin, thigh, buttocks) and I was nervous about all of these issues that resolved over the course of the first 6 months.

Not sure if you suspect you might possibly be developing trochanteric bursitis but it, unfortunately, is not an uncommon hiccup after THR. Perhaps you could let the surgeon know that you feel this is a valid concern and don't want to get worse.

According to The National lnstitute of Health, the occurrence of TB is not influenced by the surgical approach, and could not be predicted by specific comorbidities or radiographic measurements. However, it can be effectively treated conservatively in most cases.
Changes in the way the body moves and adjusts after THR may attribute to whether or not you get trochanteric bursitis and that is unfortunately something you nor your surgeon could predict but it definitely doesn't mean this is a bad outcome long term or something you cannot overcome.

One simple way that the diagnosis of trochanteric bursitis can be made is with an injection of local anesthetic directly into the bursa. If the injection removes the pain immediately, then the diagnosis is probably trochanteric bursitis. Most physicians will also add a bit of cortisone medication into the novocaine to help treat the condition at the same time.

Everything I read says Conservative treatment can be very successful for trochanteric bursitis. Younger patients who suffer from TB because of repetitive motion can usually be treated by reducing their activity or changing the way they do their activity. Combining this with an exercise program of stretching and strengthening and a brief course of anti-inflammatory medications will usually resolve the problem.
Treatments are used to calm inflammation and may include heat or ice applications.
Your OS might suggest physical therapy.
PTs often use hands on treatment and stretching to help restore full hip range of motion. Improving strength and coordination in the buttock and hip muscles also enables the femur to move in the socket smoothly and can help reduce friction on the bursa. Patients may need therapy treatments for four to six weeks before full motion and function return.
Mojo333, holy cow. TBursitis is exactly what I think I have, and the knowledge you've shared here gives me such hope because I don't think I could handle anything more than conservative treatment right now. I see OS on the 9th and will let you know what he says. Thank you for such reassuring and knowledgeable input. You staffers at bonesmart are amazing!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom